PDA

View Full Version : p51 gunsites

Colwell1199
05-09-2006, 08:07 PM
i just found something that i thought was cool on the p51. You can switch your gunsite to gyro and fix gyro. but witch is better? also i noticed that you can switch wing spread? what does that really mean? is that gun convergance?

Colwell1199
05-09-2006, 08:07 PM
i just found something that i thought was cool on the p51. You can switch your gunsite to gyro and fix gyro. but witch is better? also i noticed that you can switch wing spread? what does that really mean? is that gun convergance?

WTE_Moleboy
05-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Generally agreed that fixed and gyro is the best setting. Wing spread is designed to give you an idea of when to open fire for a particular aircraft by lining up the edges of the gunsight with the wintips of the aircraft.

NonWonderDog
05-09-2006, 08:37 PM
You're supposed to set the wing span to the wing span of your enemy in order to calibrate the gunsight. Default is good enough for just about anything, though, so you don't ever really need to fiddle with it.

When the gunsight is calibrated, all you need to do is align the gyro pipper such that it just barely overlaps your target's wings. When the pipper and the plane are the same size, you're at the range the gunsight it calibrated to. (It MAY auto-calibrate to your convergence setting, I don't know. You can't change the calibration range directly in the sim.) If you can keep the pipper directly over the target, and you can keep the target at your gunsight's calibrated range, and the target doesn't make any abrupt moves, you are almost guaranteed a hit.

Personally, I have better success with the fixed sight. I usually end up trying to fly the gyro sight and throwing my aim completely off. So, I recommended that you only use the gyro sight as a guide for when to shoot, and use the fixed sight to aim the plane. (Same as in a modern jet, really; use the gyro funnel as a guide, but know where your crosshair is pointing.)

Skycat_2
05-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Did you also notice that when you switch gunsight modes there is an animated switch in the cockpit to the left on the panel? It flips up or down as you switch between fixed and gyro. I saw that for the first time only a couple of nights ago. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif