PDA

View Full Version : Win 98 more memory

wintergoose
03-21-2005, 03:24 AM
With the new update I feel that there is time for a decription how to use more memory than 500MB in win 98 PC
I still think there is a lot still out ther.
Could anybody pleace that nows how give a detailed and understandable description howe to use 1 GB in 98 systems and properly sett it up ?

JG54_Arnie
03-21-2005, 03:27 AM
Change the system.ini in your main windows directory.

Add these lines:
[vcache]
MaxFileCache=524288

Or edit it, I think it should be there already.

jeanba2
03-21-2005, 03:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wintergoose:
With the new update I feel that there is time for a decription how to use more memory than 500MB in win 98 PC
I still think there is a lot still out ther.
Could anybody pleace that nows how give a detailed and understandable description howe to use 1 GB in 98 systems and properly sett it up ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is nothing special to do : when I bought my memory, I simply plugged it and it was ok.
From what I know, the 512 MB limitation never actually existed, it could be introduced using registry keys for various reasons (performance optimisations, unstabilities), which do not hold nowadays anymore.
If you have problems, use cacheman for instance, a utility to optimize your system and its memory.
1- It can help you to find why your system does not support more than 512 MB, and disable them.
2-It is actually more or less indispensable to really take advantage from you 1 GB : when I started FB, I used to clean the memory before using cacheman).

JG54_Arnie
03-21-2005, 05:41 AM
Hmm, oops http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Read it as if he wanted more than 1 Gb, than the vcache rule helps! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

512 is no problem at all indeed.

Bowmiester
03-21-2005, 07:37 AM
As far as im aware you can not add more than 500 megs of ram to the windows 98 o/s it becomes unstable, if you want more RAM added to your machine you would be well advised to upgrade your operating system otherwise you are in for a whole world of hurt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Pancho74
03-21-2005, 07:56 AM
I had the same problem. My solution was upgrading my system to W. 2000 - SP4.

With SP4 my system works really well, it's very similar to W. 98, but more stable and still with support of microsoft.

good luck.

Marcelo

jeanba2
03-21-2005, 11:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bowmiester:
As far as im aware you can not add more than 500 megs of ram to the windows 98 o/s it becomes unstable, if you want more RAM added to your machine you would be well advised to upgrade your operating system otherwise you are in for a whole world of hurt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did it for more than 2 years (W98 SE + 1 GB Ram) and there was no big problem, provided that you had a software such as cacheman or ramidle to clean the memory when the system starts to slow down a little or before running a demanding application like FB.

441Spyder
03-21-2005, 01:10 PM
sure there is a way install windows XP Pro

scootertgm
03-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Windows 98 still runs off the old dos based Emm386. Where as you can add the memory, I believe anything orver 128 or 256 is not handled properly, regardless of what you do. you will see improvement, but not as much as you could.

Given how old 98 is, I'd say it's time for an upgrade.

mortoma
03-21-2005, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bowmiester:
As far as im aware you can not add more than 500 megs of ram to the windows 98 o/s it becomes unstable, if you want more RAM added to your machine you would be well advised to upgrade your operating system otherwise you are in for a whole world of hurt http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bad advice like this is what puts people in a world of hurt. The myth that Win98 can't use more than 512Mb of RAM refuses to die. I have used 1Gb of ram with Win98SE for over three years with no problem regarding games of any type ( that I have tried ), FB + PF included. Certain programs/software
has been written that gives Win98 fits because it's written specifically for WinXP/2000. But I have never had a game give me any trouble. My systems runs beautifully with PF. I have 5 hard drives with OSs on them that will boot up, three with Win98SE and two with XP home and I play PF
almost exclusively on my Win98SE drives because it runs a hair better according to FRAPs tests I've done. I have KingWin trays which mount in a CR-ROM bay and allow me to change drives easily.

This drive I have on now has been running ok for 2 years with the very same install of Win98SE.
For most newer multimedia stuff I prefer XP but for most game I prefer the old DOS ( game friendly ) kernel to the NT based kernel of XP/2000!!! WinXP loads too much junk in the background for my tastes, while with Win98 you can kill almost everything except the kernel itself and some DLLs data files that are needed in memory for important tasks. So you can actually use more of a 1GB amount of memory with Win98 than you can with XP!!!!

Below I show two critical parts of the System.ini file and the setting I use with
little trouble: ( I have an asterisk on the important lines, do not include this in INI file!! )

[386Enh]
ebios=*ebios
woafont=dosapp.fon
mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd
device=*dynapage
device=*vpd
device=*int13
device=*enable
keyboard=*vkd
display=*vdd,*vflatd
EMMExclude=C000-CFFF,C000-CFFF,C000-CFFF
WPSLPT1=0
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1*
PageBuffers=32
ComBoostTime=2
PagingDrive=D:
MinPagingFileSize=409600*
MaxPagingFileSize=614400*
device=*vcd

[vcache]
MinFileCache=16384*
MaxFileCache=503808*
ChunkSize=2048*
namecache=4096*
directorycache=96*

mortoma
03-21-2005, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by scootertgm:
Windows 98 still runs off the old dos based Emm386. Where as you can add the memory, I believe anything orver 128 or 256 is not handled properly, regardless of what you do. you will see improvement, but not as much as you could.

Given how old 98 is, I'd say it's time for an upgrade. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Microsoft themselves actually perpetuates this myth because they are biased and their business is to sell more and newer OSs. They don't want people to hold on to the older OSs because they want to more make $$!!!
They know only too well that with the proper edits Win98 works well with more memory than that. At least with most software, I sure don't have much trouble. I have at least as much trouble with XP if you want to know the truth, but for different reasons.

bolillo_loco
03-21-2005, 04:56 PM
yes the 512 bug seems to be a myth to me as well. I have run 3 computers with more than 512mb installed 2 with 768mb and 1 with 1024. adding the memory did not make my p/c unstable. you should add a line in your sys.ini like jg 54 has said. Nearly everybody I know that had memory problems with windows 98 had old computers. They bought the wrong memory or tried installing larger chips than their old board supported, add infinum, they grew tired of the problem and went out and bought a new computer that had win xp on it.........wala they think its a win 98 problem because their new p/c is fine with more than 512mb of ram cause it has xp.

I have been unable to run more than 1024mb of ram with win 9x...............anybody know how? if I go beyond 1024 it states that there isnt enough memory :O