PDA

View Full Version : OT-Wings Channel being replaced w/ Military Channel

Bernoulli
12-02-2004, 01:37 PM
My Wings Channel satisfaction has been fairly low for some time now as the programming tends to be based primarily on war footage (and re-runs at that) with things relating to aviation, in particular modern aircraft, modern pilots, current events in engineering, aviation events such as airshows, competitions etc, modern pilot techniques and procedures, and very little programming about how the viewer can become involved in aviation. etc. Don't get me wrong, clearly a large part of aviation is tied into the military, but there is more to it, and despite what much of the programming suggests, there are in fact thigns going on *today* in aviaiton too! There are other channels that focus more on history, and the elements of wartime, there are no other channels that focus specificaly on aircraft.

I logged onto the Discovery.com site today to check programming as every now and then they televise events I am interested in, like the National Championship Air Races at Reno, the World Aerobatic Championships, EAA events, and Airshows, but usually these run at about 3 am Pacific Time so I have to record them if I want to see them.
When I did I saw a banner announcing that the Wings Channel will be no more, and that it will be replaced by the Military Channel. . . there goes my subscription.
I sent a rant to the feedback section, though clearly my interest in what€s going on today in aviation must be fairly rare as it doesn€t seem to warrant further programming.

Rant dissengaged

Regards,

Bernie

BSS_Goat
12-02-2004, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bernoulli:
When I did I saw a banner announcing that the Wings Channel will be no more, and that it will be replaced by the Military Channel. . . there

Rant dissengaged

Regards,

Bernie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its Military Aviation I say http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Korbelz
12-02-2004, 01:55 PM
hey i have the perfect mag for you..i've been reading it for the last 14 years(since i was 8)
Aviation week & space technology www.aviationnow.com/awst (http://www.aviationnow.com/awst)

blue_76
12-02-2004, 05:08 PM
Personally, I'd hate to see it go. Now instead of the aviation programming we'll probably see more of tanks, soldiers etc. I'm so dissapointed.. been a wings fan since its early days at the discovery channel.

JR_Greenhorn
12-02-2004, 05:43 PM
I finally recently got a cable package with Wings, but I've been pretty disappointed with it. I don't watch much TV, but it seems like every time I tune into Wings, there is one of about five documentaries on. Is there only a handful of programs to choose from for that channel?

I was kind of hoping Wings would have documentaries that are a study of a specific aircraft or event, as opposed to the survey documentaries the History Channel airs.
However, most of the doucmentaries I have seen on Wings have been more broad and general than the History Channel stuff. What gives?

I guess I don't care if they change it to the Military Channel or not, I just want to see the programming improved.

huggy87
12-02-2004, 06:27 PM
That is really odd as the discovery channel was just at my squadron last month to film a special for this spring. I assumed it was for discovery wings, but maybe it was for the general discovery program. Check me out -if my footage makes it. I am the handsome fellow taxiing by with a shamrock on my helmet.

T_O_A_D
12-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Figures I just got it and now it's leaving http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Hrdina
12-02-2004, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue_76:
Personally, I'd hate to see it go. Now instead of the aviation programming we'll probably see more of tanks, soldiers etc. I'm so dissapointed.. been a wings fan since its early days at the discovery channel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif
(not that I think you're stupid!)

Swivet
12-02-2004, 08:55 PM
This is a bummer indeed!
Finally get a station i like and now they switch formats.

Doon1
12-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Pretty much blows. The general aviation stuff is the only current programming they have. If it's going strickly military do you think the government is flipping some of the bill to get some pro-military propaganda on the airwaves? Not enough American youngsters are willing to throw their lives away for an unappreciative third world population. Maybe it's a tactic to generate some interest in the young.
Whatever the reason I wont' be tuning in.
John

Korolov
12-02-2004, 11:27 PM
I don't really see the big deal about the channel in the first place. I might care if their programs were actually worth watching (and if they were captioned), but like most TV channels, it seems information is more accurate and better elsewhere.

The.Tyke
12-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Given up watching Discovery Wings some time ago !
They seem to have twice as many commercial breaks as other channels. Also the constant re-running of that really annoying 'Dicovery Wings' trailer is really annoying.

TX-EcoDragon
12-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Post looks kinda familiar Bernie ;-)

Huggy, at the California International Airshow at Salinas '03 we had a Discovery Crew there filming our ground ops and mounting on-board cameras on the Raven. . .the show was called Awesome Airshows, and despite what might make sense, was going to air once on the Discovery Travel Channel, at 10 am EST! Go Figure.

Anyway, yeah this is a a big bummer. According to a press-release from AOPA's ePilot, the new format apparently will air two aircraft related programs (what, in a year?), see the release here:

"DISCOVERY CHANNEL TURNS IN ITS WINGS
Discovery Communications will, on January 10, rename its Discovery Wings Channel the Military Channel. Stories will focus on the troops, their equipment, the Iraq war, and a behind-the-scenes look at actual military operations. The channel won't abandon aviation forever, however. It will still cover topics like military jet fighters (a show scheduled for January 28) and the world-famous Blue Angels flight demonstration team (scheduled for March 18)."

Whoo Hoo. .. two aircraft related shows. . .

Swivet
12-03-2004, 12:00 PM
You see, that really *****!
2 whole shows devoted to aircraft? I could really care less about the Iraq war, troops going thru bootcamp etc. Military equipment and the like will be interesting, but to throw in the towel almost completly from aircraft is unfair.
Well i'm curious to see what the ratings will be for this. Maybe the ratings were low to begin with and this is why they are changing. Blah!, all good things come to an end.

TX-EcoDragon
12-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Interesting, The trailer for the format change has been modified a bit since yesterday. . . now it adds "Your favorite Wings content will still be showing Thrusdays at 6 pm" hmm. . . that doesn't sound worth the subscription to me, but I guess they are getting the hint that this change is not going to win them much praise from their current audience of people interested in aviation.

heywooood
12-03-2004, 07:59 PM
mans greatest engineering feat to date - powered flight...and they cant find enough to film from around the world?...

From what I heard - and I dont have this channel - all they did was rerun old footage and documentaries over and over.

With all that is going on around the world in restoration and exploration and air racing and airshows and WWII engine rebuilding in the Mojave and with the various museums around the globe that I would have loved to see featured on this channel....not to mention any survivng pilot interviews...too bad they didn't know what they were doing at Discovery/Smithsonian.

wayno7777
12-03-2004, 08:39 PM
If I want any military info I tune into Mail Call and From Tactical to Practical. Those two guys make it interesting. Wings was pretty good and then it disappeared. Moved to the pay section on our cable. Probably haven't seen it in three or four years.

BuzzU
12-04-2004, 10:09 AM
The channel was getting pretty bad anyway. They would pick 3-4 programs, and repeat them for 24 hours. Then 3-4 different ones the next day. In a couple of weeks they would be back where they satrted, and do it over. I've seen every program they have 10 times already.

han freak solo
12-04-2004, 04:44 PM
I agree with BuzzU.

Discovery Wings has some good stuff, but the reruns within the same day kill me. I've actually found better produced shows on the History Channel over the past year.

I hope the Military Channel gives a good balance of everthing. Including aircraft.

sithgod
12-04-2004, 11:58 PM
While aircraft are my priarmy interest I am by default also a military history buff. So I don't mind that they are changing it to much. Providing as one guy above said there is an improvement in content. Wings was suffering from massive repeat material. I am not all that interested in civilian aviation so I hated days when they did a learning to fly or airport marathon, but as it was meant to cover both civialian and military it was something i put up with as we all have different interests.

But the repeats were getting pretty close together. I have seen a show on Dust off pilots like 5 times now in not that many months. The guys deserve to be noticed for sure but give us a break. The repeats are just way to much. There had to be more shows to draw upon both new and old to bring us.

But if the change will bring a much wider variety of shows and not as many repeats then I will be happy.

Copperhead310th
12-05-2004, 12:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue_76:
Personally, I'd hate to see it go. Now instead of the aviation programming we'll probably see more of tanks, soldiers etc. I'm so dissapointed.. been a wings fan since its early days at the discovery channel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wings was the reason i upgraded my cable package. now it's gone.
No more late nights watching vintage il-2 footage. no more Wings of the Luftwaffe, no more Secret Allied planes of WWII. i'm very disapointed. I like the military chanell idea...but to take away 1 of my 2 fav tv chanels just plain sux donkey dix. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Fehler
12-05-2004, 02:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
Personally, I'd hate to see it go. Now instead of the aviation programming we'll probably see more of tanks, soldiers etc. I'm so dissapointed.. been a wings fan since its early days at the discovery channel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wings was the reason i upgraded my cable package. now it's gone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could always get the NASCAR channel.. I hear you rednecks like that sort of stuff... Or watch re-runs of Jerry Springer...

Lub ya Copperhead... You REDNECK! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Copperhead310th
12-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Hey i hear Dunkin Doughnuts is comming out with a new kibble flavor.... don't eat too many you'll get fat...like this guy.....
Click here....... (http://www.thesimpsons.com/)