PDA

View Full Version : Help with Airfield Navigation !!!

jasonbirder
04-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Quick question...how do you find your way around an airfield BEFORE you take off...(Cockpit on obviously)
I am quite capable of zig-zagging left and right to avoid collisions with other planes...but how do you find your way onto the the runway itself...
My field of view is just too restricted to see far enough ahead to taxi correctly onto the runway at the more complex aerodromes...until i'm going fast enough for my tail to come up...at which point its too late to do much if i'm not actually on the main runway!
Thanks!

Taylortony
04-16-2006, 08:45 AM
I very rarely use the runway lol but i often go external view so i can see where I am http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

_VR_ScorpionWorm
04-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Practice? All one runway airfields are the same, even the two runway airfields. Only exceptions are the rare ones on the Berlin map.

DmdSeeker
04-16-2006, 11:30 AM
On line or off line?

On line; I agree far too many map makers spend a lot of time on the design of bases.... and then forget signposts pointing out the runway!

georgeo76
04-16-2006, 04:08 PM
you have to 'wing it'. (AFAIK) You always spawn facing the runway, so just slog forward until you find the taxiway. Turn in the direction that the taxiway is shortest and your golden.

danjama
04-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I find that often control towers are placed on or near runway strips, look for these and you will usually find a runway. Also look for planes taking off. Ummm, also, look for taxiways, their vague but it is possible to make them out, even from the worst pits.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
04-16-2006, 04:54 PM
I have a Jeep with a great big "Follow me" sign on the back... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Zeus-cat
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
I think using External Views is valid in this case. You can't lean left or right in the cockpit, so your view is not what a real pilot would have.

flakwagen
04-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I think using External Views is valid in this case. You can't lean left or right in the cockpit, so your view is not what a real pilot would have.

Yes. And the main reason I use external views on the ground is because the difference between runway and non-runway textures is almost impossible to discern until one is right on top of the runway. It doesn't help matters that other things like tarmacs and etc. often have the same coloring.

Between the graphical limits of the game and the lack of a ground crew and control tower, it is a real PITA to taxi to the runway without an external view.

Flak

rnzoli
04-17-2006, 11:10 AM
if you talk about online dogfight, and the server prohibits external views and cocpit is forced on, the smartest idea I heard about was this: spawn, bail, and then check the surroundings from the air. Then spawn again, and taxi to the runway for takeoff....