PDA

View Full Version : For the Art Directors Eyes (ugly gradient!)

AltairBear
05-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Dear Ubisoft/whoever it may concern,

I'm aware of the new title you are creating (a continuation of Ezio's storyline) Revelations. Could you please do one thing for me and a bunch others?

Remove that ugly white (sometimes orange) transparent gradient, that goes over the screen while you are playing/cutscenes - the one that shows "mood" for what time a day it is. It's horrendous.

I'm aware this isn't the developers focus and is a forum for discussions. But I will be stating this everywhere. Until it's done.

Thank you.

Rakudaton
05-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I always thought it was rather well done actually. Try playing the bit again where Ezio brings the cannon-engineer to the mercenaries in Monteriggioni and he starts fixing it. The lighting in it is very lovely indeed.

ShaneO7K
05-05-2011, 02:14 PM
I always wanted AC1 graphics back, they were beautiful everything looked so much more detailed in comparison to the AC games which came after.

Randy 355
05-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by dead_gunner187:
I always wanted AC1 graphics back, they were beautiful everything looked so much more detailed in comparison to the AC games which came after.
This times forever.

Those graphics set the mood nearly everywhere you went in AC1. If it's downgraded for revelations, I will be pretty damn upset.

AltairBear
05-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Rakudaton:
I always thought it was rather well done actually. Try playing the bit again where Ezio brings the cannon-engineer to the mercenaries in Monteriggioni and he starts fixing it. The lighting in it is very lovely indeed.
I'm not complaining about the lighting. But the Dusk/Dawn indicator gradient.

It's basically a transparent gradient that goes from Yellow/orange to white. That I believe is there to show what time of day it is (perhaps), by giving an indicator. White for morning and yellow for evening.

But it's completely ugly, because it's also there when in shadows. So it really washes out the entire picture.
Basically this:
http://i.imgur.com/JG0EE.jpg
To this:
http://i.imgur.com/kS0BZ.jpg

I understand this is just a small graphical issue with in the game. But I think it is such a small is that; 1. It can be removed fairly easily 2. It's easy to forget about it and leave it in.

Also, since it's a static gradient a simple menu option to leave it ON/OFF would be appropriate if Ubisoft insists on leaving this "indicator" in.

Originally posted by dead_gunner187:
This is an entirely different subject. But I do agree with the fact that AC1 in a simple technical/polished level is far superior then AC2+. The environment design/gameplay mechanics/art direction is far superior in AC2/ACB, but technically AC1 runs much better.

phil.llllll
05-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by AltairBear:
The environment design/art direction is far superior in AC2/ACB,

The reason AC1 still out does those two in the graphics department is mainly because of the excellent art direction - far superior to both sequels combined, imo.

By the way, I'm still not sure what you mean. I don't remember ever seeing a gradient like that during night/day switches.

AltairBear
05-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by phil.llllll:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AltairBear:
The environment design/art direction is far superior in AC2/ACB,

The reason AC1 still out does those two in the graphics department is mainly because of the excellent art direction - far superior to both sequels combined, imo.

By the way, I'm still not sure what you mean. I don't remember ever seeing a gradient like that during night/day switches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It could possibly be a bug on my side, but it was definitely there and I had a few others that experience similar things. Maybe it's only on the PS3 version? Perhaps I'll take a picture in game.

Found a lot more complaints:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...016/m/7421045298/p/7 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/7421045298/p/7)

Just search for the word "white" and you'll see others have the same issue. It seemed like a lot of people have been complaining about it. Maybe Ubisoft will fix the issue.

...also screen tearing fix would be nice as well. *wink*

*added* Also heres the issue ingame:
http://youtu.be/Y_ZhlGqD8z8

Even more ugly in person.

phil.llllll
05-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I have the PC version so maybe that's why I haven't noticed it but if it is there it's nowhere near as apparent as in that vid.

EDIT: Come to think of it I do remember some problems in low lighting situations. I'll have to check it out.

EDIT2: It's there but it's not as strong as in your examples. Also this seems to be a technical limitation of the lighting and not an art direction choice.