PDA

View Full Version : New Screen Experience

FM_BurningEagle
02-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I just scrapped (in fact gave it to my kid, and I can tell you he was happy) my old 21" Sony flat CRT. I paid 1200 US$ for it at the time but it was a CAD/CAM qualified screen for professional use. Practically it was one of the last Sony screens for the type. It was an excellent screen but with time it started to become blurred, with convergence and focus not so sharp anymore, and the picture was also starting to become slightly deformed geometrically. All this is typical age problems for an analog CRT monitor. I must say that recently I started to have some eyestrain when using text. Reading on the screen became more difficult.

I resisted for a long time the change as I was not convinced by early LCD screens. Colours were not accurate enough and the display was too slow. Good LCD's for image processing had a response time around 25ms. This is ok for static pictures but for dynamic images it is not enough as motion becomes blurred and it was visible. I tried a few screens and was disappointed.

These last two years I watched intensely the evolution and finally I decided to act.

I bought the Samsung 244T 24" TFT Flatscreen. It has a native resolution of 1920X1200 pixels. It is given for 16.7 mio colors, response time <6ms grey to grey, contrast of 1000:1 and brightness of 400cd/m2, and DVI interface.
All this seems in theory perfect. But I read also a lot about how all these parameters were being cheated or measured in unrealistic conditions etc. etc. There was also the dead pixels, black pixels or wrong color pixels, or lit pixels issue etc. etc.
All this made me think that such an acquisition would be a risky business.

In short my wallet became lighter by nearly 1800 US$ all included. I am in Europe and so these are european prices somewhat more expensive of what you can get in the US.

So what is the result? You wonder? Was it a good investment?

I use it in native resolution mode 1920x1200. For playing IL2+AEP+PF it is in 1600X1200, still in native resolution except that on the two sides of the image you have some unused black screen space. (I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 ULTRA card used in DVI mode)

In short I am simply delighted. The screen is up to it's claimed quality and I admit it is my subjective judgment. I had the impression that I had put a pair of glasses on my eyes. Text is incredibly sharp, brightness contrast and colours are gorgius. IL2 runs without a hitch (I play everything maxed and yes I have the necessary computer power to have high framerates) and the dynamics are perfect. I can even say that the very high image quality and purity, has increased the quality of immersion. You forget there is a screen. The see and sun reflection and colours are much more realistic at sun set, or midday in the pacific. I have been travelling in the pacific and so I can compare.

Whatever the true response time is, it is perfectly adequate for flight simulation, film watching etc.

For picture or photo processing some calibration is needed but this was true also for the CRT that had also to be calibrated.

So you understand that I am totally delighted. It is a heavvy investment and makes sense only on a top notch PC rig. If this screen runs like it does now for many years then yes it is an excellent investment.

One last big thing. By switching screens between my CRT (I admit it was a big and heavvy one) and the new LCD I just doubled the available free space on my office table.

Do you need more arguments?

For all those who still are hesitating between CRT and LCD screens then do not hesitate just go for it, you will not go back. CRT's will quickly become a thing from the past.

Gold

major_setback
02-05-2006, 05:14 PM
My LCD monitor (and entire new system) will be arriving in April, I hope I'm as pleased with the screen as you were with yours. I have been extremely happy with my old CRT; it will take some beating, as far as I'm concerned the picture is perfect, and I'll be keeping it with my 'reserve' system (and for photo-editing if I'm not happy with the LCD).
Pleas tell me this: did you need to do lots of adjustments before you got a decent picture or did it look good 'out of the box'? (My CRT took months of adjustments before I finally got it the way that suits me.

My new screen has an 8 ms response. Highest resolution is 1280 I think.

WTE_Ibis
02-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Just ordered a Samsung H-730BF
17" 4ms. response grey to grey A$442.
Can't wait to try it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Dash_C.
02-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by FM_BurningEagle:
I use it in native resolution mode 1920x1200. For playing IL2+AEP+PF it is in 1600X1200, still in native resolution except that on the two sides of the image you have some unused black screen space. (I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE 6800 ULTRA card used in DVI mode)

You may be able to remove the unused black space by editing the conf.ini.

Try this:

[window]
width=1920
height=1200
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=0
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=0
Use3Renders=0

codeseven7
02-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Check this out. Also, I have read that playing your games (after editing your conf.ini) in your LCD's native resolution gives you the monitors best picture.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1809

codeseven

FM_BurningEagle
02-06-2006, 01:51 PM
To Major_Setback:

You must not compare to the CRT type of image. There is a look and feel that is by essence different. I do not know what is your taste and what your LCD screen performace will be but just shoot for maximum contrast and brightness capability. I have incredibly deep blacks I never got on my CRT. The sharpness I get is also incredible compared to the old CRT I had. But here I got used over time to some fuzziness so the change was spectacular. The LCD's perfect image stability is a big plus. At the beginning I was a little bit surprised by the colour depth and brilliance, and started to play with the controls. And after some time I finished with controls very near to the default values. So I will say the image out of the box was already very good. But the Samsung SyncMaster 244T screen is already a high quality screen with advanced controls possibility.

To Dash_C:
Thank's a lot for the advice. It works perfect. I can play now full screen 1920X1200 without any aspect ratio problem. There are no graphical glitches, sea, sun, shades everything is ok. Immersion becomes excellent.
The graphical system has to generate and manage more pixels and there is a little loss of FPS in certain conditions. But I will upgrade to a top GEFORCE 7800 GTX 512 MB so performance should again be perfect even at such high resolution.

GOLD

BaldieJr
02-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Say it with me: Pixel accuracy.

It would take too long to explain the operation of a CRT but if ever you endeavor to understand you'll learn why LCD's are superior.