PDA

View Full Version : Using climb in a dogfight

Afromike1
06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
I am usually in planes that have good, or best, climbing. But whenever I use planes like the 109 or any vehicle that has better climb over the enemy I usually get shot down when I try to make a high vertical climb up then leveling off afterwards. Thats the only way I can find to use climbing. Any tips would be appreciated.

Afromike1
06-23-2008, 08:24 PM
I am usually in planes that have good, or best, climbing. But whenever I use planes like the 109 or any vehicle that has better climb over the enemy I usually get shot down when I try to make a high vertical climb up then leveling off afterwards. Thats the only way I can find to use climbing. Any tips would be appreciated.

Freiwillige
06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Okay the only way you can outclimb a fighter that can climb faster than you is to have more energy to spend buying altitude than your opponent. But even then you can only beat him in the zoom climb after that he will slowly catch you. Try diving!

Afromike1
06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Im sorry what I meant was is if I HAD the better climb and we were both at the same level with the same speed. I wanted to know what offensive or defensive strategies I could use for a better climbing plane.

na85
06-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Depends on if your plane has better zoom climb or better sustained climb.

Either way, though, you're probably best trying to gain some flight path separation and extending/climbing away from your opponent once you're out of guns range (your opponent is ideally trying to do the same thing in the opposite direction).

Jaws2002
06-23-2008, 11:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:
Im sorry what I meant was is if I HAD the better climb and we were both at the same level with the same speed. I wanted to know what offensive or defensive strategies I could use for a better climbing plane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use the spiral climb.
Just like going up the stairs. If you try to climb in straight line all he has to do is raise his nose and hose you.
If you climb on a spiral the deflection required is quite hard since you are moving on all axis.
Another advantage is that if he tries to shoot at you, he'll have to point his guns above and ahead of you, tightening his turn and increasing the climb angle. This will bleed all his energy rather quick and you can wing over on him.

Good luck.

StellarRat
06-24-2008, 12:28 AM
The spiral climb is good sometimes. Just bear in mind that a single cannon or .50 hit can often end your climb advantage. At high altitudes a damaged plane is very difficult to fly.

Manu-6S
06-24-2008, 01:06 AM
Spiral climb is the best manouvre in a better climbing plane... the lat time I did against a SpitVc fled by one ace of my squad we reached 10Km... and finally I got the shot.

Another way to use best climbing plane is to fly at best climbing speed after you have gained some space between you and your enemy; after some time you can lightly dive (5%) to reach the minimum speed that permits you a complete loop: you can switch the alt gained in speed and be much faster than enemy. Enemy will stall following you loop.

toogame
06-24-2008, 08:45 PM
A climb manoeuvre that pays off for me is to climb vertically straight keeping the aircraft straight as possible (sometimes to keep it dead straight I add a slight spiral climb) when your speed reaches 100km I add flaps and try and get the aircraft speed to reach 0 as possible, when you start to get to the 50km or lower, use rudder and kill the engine. The aircraft will free fall to one side and drop its nose to vert dive, if the enemy is behind you, most of the time because your pushing it to the extreme the enemy will have already lost E or began his dive.

To do this manoeuvre a good climb aircraft is good but most importantly the stall characteristics is #1, a Bf109 if one of the best for this due to its front slats.

Afromike1
06-24-2008, 09:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by toogame:
A climb manoeuvre that pays off for me is to climb vertically straight keeping the aircraft straight as possible (sometimes to keep it dead straight I add a slight spiral climb) when your speed reaches 100km I add flaps and try and get the aircraft speed to reach 0 as possible, when you start to get to the 50km or lower, use rudder and kill the engine. The aircraft will free fall to one side and drop its nose to vert dive, if the enemy is behind you, most of the time because your pushing it to the extreme the enemy will have already lost E or began his dive.

To do this manoeuvre a good climb aircraft is good but most importantly the stall characteristics is #1, a Bf109 if one of the best for this due to its front slats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have actually done this a lot before except with no success. Aparently after the stall downwards to run away, the enemy will always have an alt advantage against you, even with low E, because you would stall first. And so the enemy would always catch up to me and then BOOM im dead.

What is also very hard to do for me is the spiral climb. I try pulling as hard as I can back on my stick (or even gently sometimes too) the enemy plane just follows then does a quick snapshot at me while barely loosing any speed from that snap shot.

I JUST CANT SEEM TO RUN AWAY FROM PEOPLE!

X32Wright
06-24-2008, 09:40 PM
To effectively use the best climb, you need a very good stick or at least a good INPUT stick setting that would let you control every nuance of your plane at the very edge of the envelope.

Some of the veteran flyers with very good sticks have resorted to flying with all 100% INPUTs in the game. I also have done this and it is specially wonderful with pedals. It is not recommended for everyone though because the stick would be ultra-sensitive and can throw off your gunnery, make u stall quickly or unexpected wing dips.

Finally do be able to utilize climb well, you need to be able to read 'relative energy states' of your own plane as well as your opponent's based on ur speed and position in space as well as the ability to read the plane's change profile and size while u fly. Once you master this you would be able to tell when to do CEM changes or trim or even Boost as well as when to apply rudder and trim on a climb.

VW-IceFire
06-24-2008, 10:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Afromike1:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by toogame:

To do this manoeuvre a good climb aircraft is good but most importantly the stall characteristics is #1, a Bf109 if one of the best for this due to its front slats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have actually done this a lot before except with no success. Aparently after the stall downwards to run away, the enemy will always have an alt advantage against you, even with low E, because you would stall first. And so the enemy would always catch up to me and then BOOM im dead.

What is also very hard to do for me is the spiral climb. I try pulling as hard as I can back on my stick (or even gently sometimes too) the enemy plane just follows then does a quick snapshot at me while barely loosing any speed from that snap shot.

I JUST CANT SEEM TO RUN AWAY FROM PEOPLE! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only way for that to happen is if the other guy has the same or more E than you do when you stall (or you gave him the opportunity to cut the corner on your climb). A straight vertical climb is always a crap shoot...you have to be damned confident that you're going to make the guy behind you stall first. If you stall at the same time then you're back where you started...you want him to stall first and nose over. Then you go over and get him.

Climb should not be used as a defensive move in a direct dogfight. A climbing aircraft in a dogfight is an easy target. Particularly if you're being pursued. Nothing should compel you to point the nose skyward short of a rather ominous looking hill (or mountain as it may be http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). Any climbing you do should be light climbs or immelman and neither should be done with someone directly behind you because it makes you an easy target.

Using a climb advantage usually means that the enemy is generally not above you ready to pounce and they aren't directly behind you either. They may be trailing you off in the distance at which point get speed and then begin a shallow climb and steepen it if the altitude separation is significant enough to prevent a shot. Otherwise its very easy for the pursuing fighter to cut the corner on a climb (particularly if you climb angle is steep) and shoot you before he runs out of E.