PDA

View Full Version : newbie here, my plane is always stalling :(

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:27 PM
hi guys, i recently bought il2:fb and i love it, but theres one thing that always happens to me, im always stalling in my plane. for example: in the P-47D-10, at 100% power, if i try doing a 180 turn my plane stalls really fast.My airspd is usually around 380-400. Does this happen to you guys? I'll loose control and crash http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.
Is there a way to avoid stalling?

thanks for the help

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:27 PM
hi guys, i recently bought il2:fb and i love it, but theres one thing that always happens to me, im always stalling in my plane. for example: in the P-47D-10, at 100% power, if i try doing a 180 turn my plane stalls really fast.My airspd is usually around 380-400. Does this happen to you guys? I'll loose control and crash http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.
Is there a way to avoid stalling?

thanks for the help

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:38 PM
To a newbie from a newbie:

I have IL-2 Sturmovik. I don't have all the realism settings on and turn off the stall/spin, otherwise I find the game almost impossible to play. In fact, I have a good many of the realism settings off, with the exception of realistic gunnery and a few others. The bottom line is to have fun and if you can't fly your plane, what fun is that?

Good luck!

Matt

thlnk3r80 wrote:
- hi guys, i recently bought il2:fb and i love it, but
- theres one thing that always happens to me, im
- always stalling in my plane. for example: in the
- P-47D-10, at 100% power, if i try doing a 180 turn
- my plane stalls really fast.My airspd is usually
- around 380-400. Does this happen to you guys? I'll
- loose control and crash http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif.
- Is there a way to avoid stalling?
-
- thanks for the help
-
-

Buzz_25th
10-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Your pulling to hard on the elevator. All planes will stall if you do this. You need to have a lighter touch on your joystick. You do have a joystick I hope?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25th_Buzz
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto1/anderson3.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Also as well as the comments above, try using some flap in the turn, that will help reduce the stalling in the turn.... if as mentioned it is still too sensitive a way round it is to reduce the effectiveness of the elevator control in the setup, so you cant phyically over do it in the turn as it wont allow you too pull to much elevator, as you get used to it you can then allow a bit more at a time until you are back up to the full setting.

I still get caught out with the 190 as if i fly something not as sensitive and go back to it it can bite /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Dont jack the stick so hard Eazy duz it /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

---------------------------------------
"I came to bring tha pain hardcore from the brain"
---------------------------------------

Buzz_25th
10-13-2003, 07:48 PM
To be honest. We probably all still stall the plane in combat. The trick is to catch it fast so it doesn't turn into a spin.

In some planes it's much easier to stall. You have to be more aware of your inputs when you fly those, and always think "gentile".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:49 PM
lol im using a keyboard. I think its time to get a joystick heh. Anyone have recommendations? thanks for the help guys

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:54 PM
the saitek cyborg series are pretty good for beginners to advanced players. very reliable and has good features.
www.saitek.com (http://www.saitek.com). at least take a stick with 3-axis, you'll need a rudder.

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:57 PM
Hoo des forums anglais.....

<center>je ne pense pas donc je ne suis pas</center>
<center><font size="20" color="red"></div></body></html><font face="Comic Sans MS"><center><div style="width:100%; font-size:15pt;filter:Glow[color=red, strength=10)"> <font color=black>A mort les morts ! <body bgcolor="000000"></div></font></center>

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 07:59 PM
joleguenne wrote:
- Hoo des forums anglais.....
-

ja schon schlimm son englisches forum...

if you dont like it here ,then go to your wonderful, superior, french forums.

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 08:00 PM
A light touch on the stick is the key! Also, if you watch carefully as you turn you'll see the screen start to shake BEFORE you stall. That's a sign that you should back off a bit. With the P-47 it is very important to keep you speed up. A sharp turn at low speed and you'll roll right over and into the ground. Besides, if you're making a lot of sharp turns with the P-47 you're probably not fighting it right. You should make high speed passes then leave and build speed and attack again (boom and zoom.) A lot of sharp turns are going to keep you from flying fast enough and someone is going to out turn you then shoot you down.

Buzz_25th
10-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Ok that's your problem. Get a joystick. Even a cheap one is 1000% better than the keyboard.

25th_Buzz
<center>

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 08:11 PM
definitively; a joystick! and when you get it, use it real gentle in the beginning, get used to the flight model in FB. Took me a long time in IL-2...(After checking out cfs,what do you expect..)

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 08:43 PM
wow thanks guys for ALL the input. people like you make the game alot better then it is http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gl all

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2003, 10:17 PM
thlnk3r80 wrote:
- wow thanks guys for ALL the input. people like you
- make the game alot better then it is /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
-

One last item, the Jug is one of the hardest planes in the sim to fly in combat, mostly because it is the heaviest fighter in the game @ 7 tons empty. The Yak 3, 109G2 and perhaps the La5/7 would be good places to start. The 109 will stall, but gives plenty of warning and is very easy to bring out of a spin - even at low alt.

Re: The realism settings. Don't turn these down to easy unless you are really really struggling. Might as well set off on your learning curve the right way.

Have fun.

"We will welcome them with bullets and shoes."

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 12:24 AM
The truth about the stall is that it can happen at any speed, and any attitude. It happens when the wing meets the air at an excessive angle of attack, and more drag is produced than lift.
If there,s one thing that any pilot should get to know and understand, it,s "angle of attack" and what it is, and what it is not.
Angle of attack is the angle at which the wing meets the air.
It has nothing to do with how fast your plane is flying,(airspeed), or weather the plane is nose high, or nose low. An aircraft can stall heading staight down towards the ground, at maximum speed, all that has to happen is to increase this "angle of attack" beyond a certain critical point and the stall will ocurr.
So as many have said here, take it easy on the stick, that's basicly your angle of attack control, heh, actually the elevator is somewhat inappropriately named http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I'd like to advise a good book to read, and it's one of the best books on the art of flying ever written.
It's called; "Stick & Rudder" by Wolfgang Langwiesch(not sure if I spelled the last name correctly)

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 01:26 AM
thlnk3r80, the P-47 is not a TnB plane. I mean you cant turn fight with it. try boom and zoom.

Get up to about 6000m at least, look for trazer fire, investigate and identify the planes that are down below. Red trazer fire is usualy an alied plane and blue is usualy a german plane.

When you decend abit and are able to see your target you need to figure what he is doing and wich way he is going. Setting up an atack is very hard because you have to keep your eye on your target and whait for the right moment to go into a dive and atack. Whait until the target is moving away from you then start your dive. After your pass do not pull up hard and go veritcal, thats a quick way to get yourself killed. just very lightly pull on the stick. Remember the harder you pull on the stick the more E= energy you will lose. At low speeds it is very easy to stall the Jug. You just need to be gentle with her.

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 03:32 AM
Stalling? Be gentle and never try to bank to the opposite side of the stall, will only make you even more prone to spinning..

rgds

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 08:03 AM
As noted above...plus...

Try the IL-2. It's a little slow /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif and a little sluggish /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif but it's very forgiving. A great trainer for this sim.

And I think most of us agree, don't turn off anything (except No Outside Views cuz it's fun to look at your plane flying around in this beautiful environment) or No Icons/Minimap (cuz at first it's a bear to figure out where you're going. Later you can turn these off to learn navigation). Keep Stalls/Spins, Headshake, Realistic Gunnery etc. on. Yes it's harder, but it's the BEST way to learn. After all, unlike REAL LIFE, you get to respawn!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

The final piece of advise...Practice, Practice, Practice. Believe me, eventually you WILL get better and you'll do it faster than if you "dumb down" the flight model.

(Of course with all that said, just enjoy the game. Oleg made the game scaleable and if that's what works...more power to you.)

Oh...one last thing...WELCOME!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<center>Beebop-ProudBirds-VFW<center>http://www.uploadit.org/files/230903-Beebop%20Sig.jpg