PDA

View Full Version : OT Flying Legends airshow, Duxford, need info please....

Dr...Watson
03-26-2007, 01:15 PM
I am hoping to go in July 7th/8th to the airshow. Will fly over from Basel to Luton and meet my Dad who will drive down from Scotland.

What day is best to go, the Sat or the Sun or is it worth going both days. I have been to Fairford a few times and feel one day is enough, especially if it's boiling hot. I am struggling to find any info on the 2007 show, maybe it's too early to get details.

So if anyone has been before and has some advice please pass it on.

Cheers

Dr...Watson
03-26-2007, 01:15 PM
I am hoping to go in July 7th/8th to the airshow. Will fly over from Basel to Luton and meet my Dad who will drive down from Scotland.

What day is best to go, the Sat or the Sun or is it worth going both days. I have been to Fairford a few times and feel one day is enough, especially if it's boiling hot. I am struggling to find any info on the 2007 show, maybe it's too early to get details.

So if anyone has been before and has some advice please pass it on.

Cheers

major_setback
03-28-2007, 04:12 PM
I went to both Fairford and Duxford last year, and I think Duxford is much better, you get a lot closer to the aircraft in the air. Jets just whizz past.
Weather will determine which day is best. The first time I was there some aircraft had been held up by bad weather and couldn't be there for the start of the show on Saturday, I don't know if they made it for the sunday show though. I would guess that Sunday is a safer bet, though bad weather on that day would of course spoil things.

Get there early if you want to look around the museum too.

Dr...Watson
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Well, when I mentioned the whole thing to my Dad, and explained the logistics of meeting him at the airport, hiring a car and booking accomodation, I thought it might put him off. Actually, he started behaving like a 5 year old going to the zoo, he couldn't understand why we would one go for one day and not both. So we are going for both, will be there early, till late, and hope the weather holds out.

Can't wait!

major_setback
03-30-2007, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr...Watson:
Well, when I mentioned the whole thing to my Dad, and explained the logistics of meeting him at the airport, hiring a car and booking accomodation, I thought it might put him off. Actually, he started behaving like a 5 year old going to the zoo, he couldn't understand why we would one go for one day and not both. So we are going for both, will be there early, till late, and hope the weather holds out.

Can't wait! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In case you didn't know, it will probably be very much the same show on both days, though of course these are old aircraft and some will always have to cancel their performance for various reasons..

I will give you a tip. For a small fee you can get the *Gold Pass* (I think it's called that), it includes a meal in a large tent (buffé style), a nice printed colour programme (pick one up in the tent), and seating in front of where the aircraft taxi and take off. I think it's worth the price, just for the seating and the view...

The Gold Pass - look at the bottom of this link. It should be purchased in advance, they sell out before the show starts.

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00d004001

major_setback
03-30-2007, 02:13 PM
http://fighter-collection.com/newsimg/img/fl07.jpg

Dr...Watson
04-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks, great info there. Will call the number and ask about the Gold Pass.

Both days flying will be similar, but it's good to spend a day looking in the air, and another to wander around the statics, museum etc.

DaspeedFW
04-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Hi all http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
My friends and I would also like to visit the Duxford Flying Legends Airshow and we're planning a trip from The Netherlands. We do have a question though: if you buy a ticket, is it valid throughout the weekend or just for one day?

Could anyone help us out? Thnx http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

major_setback
04-02-2007, 03:25 PM
A ticket is for just one day (either saturday or Sunday). I don't think you get a discount for going both days.

major_setback
04-02-2007, 03:29 PM
By the way. The gold pass might cost a bit more than the 'small fee' that I mentioned above. I was given these tickets on the two occasions I went to the show (the past two shows), and don't know how much the 'gold Pass' tickets cost. I do know that there is a seperate gold pass car park, and this makes getting to and from the show a lot easier (this went very quickly).

Vacillator
04-04-2007, 03:55 AM
I went last year and it was a truly fantastic experience. I was only there on the Saturday and the one downside was the BBMF Lancaster was not there (but it was on the Sunday).
Anyway it was a great day and well worth the entrance fee.
As for parking, although we were in one of the cheap http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif car parks, things were very quick and smoothly handled.