PDA

View Full Version : IL2 gunnery and shooting a rifle

Fish6891
11-09-2004, 02:44 PM
I've recently taken up gunnery and while firing my rifle at a nearby shooting range I noticed subtle but fundamental similarities between shooting my rifle and IL2 Gunnery, especially when it comes to picking the right moment at which to fire. I find it pretty interesting and so I just decided to prorate my observation to the lot of you. Has anyone else here noticed this?
I am aware that its quite possible that several of you know this already, and that it may be old news, so forgive me if I'm being slow but remember that I am naturally quite dim, being a fish and all(Woe is me), so take THAT into consideration BEFORE you judge me!

Regards,
The Flying Fish

Yellonet
11-09-2004, 03:50 PM
Well, it is supposed to be a simulation. So when the sim portrays real life behaviour, is just like it should be.

LStarosta
11-09-2004, 03:55 PM
Even though it's a totally different type of marksmanship than rifle shooting (more like skeet) IL2 has definately helped me with my rifle marksmanship. I am much more confident with my shooting skills after playing IL2. IL2 has not given me any help with the ballistics of shooting.

(EDIT: I should mention that I meant stationary targets; I really didn't learn anything new that I didn't already know before I got into IL2 in earnest. What I was saying kind of flowed out of my head and I did not elaborate. With moving targets, IL2 did teach me a lot about lead.)

However, it did boost my confidence. I take snapshots much quickly, I do not hesitate to shoot, I am able to hit moving targets much more accurately and again, without hesitation. Sniping helium balloons tied to remote controlled cars is a lot of fun, and a lot like IL2!

Ballistic4N6
11-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Ahhh, Ballistics! mmmmmm!
Basics:
Time_of_flight
distance
cross sectional density of projectile
pathway of target
intersection,
terminal ballistics!

ZG77_Lignite
11-09-2004, 04:06 PM
A very large percentage of 'biographies' (for lack of a better word) of WWII veterans mention the correlation between hunting and air to air gunnery. Chuck Yeager, Bud Anderson, Gunther Rall, Heinz Knoke, Alexander Pokryshkin (I believe, memory fails) all mention there love of hunting and shooting, and how it affected themselves as well as how hunting/shooting effected (positively and negativly, respective) their comrades.

I suppose that explains why I can't shoot worth a **** in real life, or virtual either.

The-Good-Guy
11-10-2004, 03:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Lignite:
A very large percentage of 'biographies' (for lack of a better word) of WWII veterans mention the correlation between hunting and air to air gunnery. Chuck Yeager, Bud Anderson, Gunther Rall, Heinz Knoke, Alexander Pokryshkin (I believe, memory fails) all mention there love of hunting and shooting, and how it affected themselves as well as how hunting/shooting effected (positively and negativly, respective) their comrades.

I suppose that explains why I can't shoot worth a **** in real life, or virtual either. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apparently as a kid The Red Baron used to hunting with his father.

Me too.

So watch your six. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Nutcase

AtorianPaladin
11-10-2004, 01:24 PM
i shoot high powered rifles as well. shooting at a stationary target at 100-600 yards is alot different then air to air gunnery.

realy, the differneces are pretty extreme, the diff pressures, much larger projectile. plus u have a 4 dimensional of variables.

they are moving
u are moving
at high speeds, not to get u down, but other then the reel baics, dont base anything on the other

LStarosta
11-10-2004, 01:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AtorianPaladin:
i shoot high powered rifles as well. shooting at a stationary target at 100-600 yards is alot different then air to air gunnery.

realy, the differneces are pretty extreme, the diff pressures, much larger projectile. plus u have a 4 dimensional of variables.

they are moving
u are moving
at high speeds, not to get u down, but other then the reel baics, dont base anything on the other <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree about stationary shooting. But I've really noticed that when shooting moving targets "skills" learned in IL2 REALLY help. The planes might move real fast relative to the ground, but relative to each other, the movement is much slower in most cases, especially if they are travelling in a similar direction. I agree it's not exactly the same, but you can draw conclusions from one and apply them to the other.

han freak solo
11-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm....
Sqeezing the buttons on my joystick helps me with my squeeze on a real trigger. Only because of the lightness of the joystick can make it easier to "wiggle" while sqeezing off rounds. So, I'm a little better when I have a rifle or pistol in my hand since the weight steadies my sight picture..

One bonus is that the joystick doesn't kick. When my shoulder is blasted by a .30 caliber rifle my heart rate and breathing rise enough where I have to concentrate even harder for following shots.

IL2 is definitely like shotgun shooting. But, leading a little bird is lot easier than leading a high speed, hard turning aircraft going vertical I assume.

The only full auto gun I've fired was a Thompson sub-machinegun (.45 ACP pistol ammo). The sights on it were for getting on target for the first birst only. After that, it was looking down the barrel like a shotgun and watching where the bullets strike.

Real or simulated shooting= http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif