PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question regarding Al Mualim

GarethNelson
09-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Ok, so he's a secret templar and presumably was sending Altair on missions to take out the competition so he did not have to share. Makes sense.

Yet at the start of the game, Robert de Sable attacks Masyaf and gives every honest impression of the 2 being complete enemies. None of Altair's targets reveal that he is a traitor until the very end - why not?

Surely injecting some doubt into Altair earlier would be beneficial to them?

SlimeDynamiteD
09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I guess it would, but first of all, do you really think Altair would've believed his enemy when he's saying that his master is a betrayer? Would you?
And second... there wouldn't be a game if he did believe him.

Xanatos2007
09-28-2010, 11:13 AM
I've thought about that as well. I was thinking at first that Robert was the only one who knew Al Mualim was a Templar as well, but then Talal mentioned him by name so that conclusion was snuffed. I think they were just remaining faithful to their cause; their ultimate goal was power, and they knew that if Altair killed Al Mualim then they would never get the PoE back. Perhaps they thought that it was better to have at least one of the Ten survive with the PoE than none of them.

Either that or it's a gaping plothole that the dev team hoped would go unnoticed.

GarethNelson
09-28-2010, 11:13 AM
No, he wouldn't believe it. But it would lead to more doubt building up.

Other than that, there could have been more subtle signs in the ways his targets spoke. Of course, this one didn't suddenly hit me until today, so the writers did a good job anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

itsamea-mario
09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Well i sort of suspected there was something dodgy about, he doesn't exactly look or sound like a super honest person.

phil.llllll
09-28-2010, 12:39 PM
I was thinking it has to do with a couple of things. First off, Robert was the only one who knew (or figured out over time) the true relationship between Al Mualim and his assassins - that he was using them. Perhaps they thought all of them were working together to accomplish their goal; and after they accomplished that goal, they were collectively working toward eliminating the threat against them.

Also, a few of his targets didn't even know who he was or why he killed them as evident in the after death speeches. Then there's the fact that when he talked to them they were usually just focused on the matter at hand (e.g. why Talal was a slaver and him trying to justify his actions, etc...).

A lot of his targets did inject plenty of doubt into Altair about the nature of his work; but it wasn't by saying his master was a traitor but by trying to convince Altair that their cause was just.

But I think the main thing was just that perhaps it wasn't very plausible to them to try and convince Altair - perhaps someone who was drugged or under his influence in other ways - when he was a loyal high ranking assassin. Only towards the end did Altair start having suspicions about Al Mualim (even before Robert told him) and even after Robert told him he still didn't want to believe it.