PDA

View Full Version : Feeling foolish. Gigabyte BIOS setup changes gave 50% fps increase!

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Okay, one of my jobs in work is as our department's IT rep, so I should know about computers, right?

Well, I thought I'd have a play with the BIOS on my (ancient) Gigabyte GA7IXE4 motherboard. It's currently got a 1.1GHz Thunderbird in it, with 256 MB PC100 RAM and a GeForce4 MX420 with 64MB memory.

Not a bad (old) system. Should get fairly decent frame rates.

No. i did the fps test (black death track) and got 4fps the first time and 9 the second time (reduced quality and went to 16 bit graphics the second time). Very poor. My minimum frame rates were 0!!!! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

So, anyway, I went into my BIOS and started playing around. When I upgraded from the 700MHz Duron that was in the mobo, I flashed the BIOS and reset to factory defaults. Idiot! This, unknown to me, turned off the L2 cache! I had thought that the processor was slow!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I went into the Chipset Features and enabled all of the cache options. I also increased the AGP aperture to 128MB. I've now got and average fps of 14! That's a 50% increase.

Why am I telling everyone this? Well, I was so pleased to increase the speed of my system, and also because I am probably not the only one who has had the L2 cache turned off and not known about it!

See you online (wife and baby permitting!)

NewS.

Founder member (currently the only member!) of the Unofficial Hurricane Fan Club.

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Okay, one of my jobs in work is as our department's IT rep, so I should know about computers, right?

Well, I thought I'd have a play with the BIOS on my (ancient) Gigabyte GA7IXE4 motherboard. It's currently got a 1.1GHz Thunderbird in it, with 256 MB PC100 RAM and a GeForce4 MX420 with 64MB memory.

Not a bad (old) system. Should get fairly decent frame rates.

No. i did the fps test (black death track) and got 4fps the first time and 9 the second time (reduced quality and went to 16 bit graphics the second time). Very poor. My minimum frame rates were 0!!!! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

So, anyway, I went into my BIOS and started playing around. When I upgraded from the 700MHz Duron that was in the mobo, I flashed the BIOS and reset to factory defaults. Idiot! This, unknown to me, turned off the L2 cache! I had thought that the processor was slow!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I went into the Chipset Features and enabled all of the cache options. I also increased the AGP aperture to 128MB. I've now got and average fps of 14! That's a 50% increase.

Why am I telling everyone this? Well, I was so pleased to increase the speed of my system, and also because I am probably not the only one who has had the L2 cache turned off and not known about it!

See you online (wife and baby permitting!)

NewS.

Founder member (currently the only member!) of the Unofficial Hurricane Fan Club.

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 09:37 AM
well hello
good news.Well I have an old p3 900MHZ with 384 RAM(sd) and geforce 2MX
I now have 14 frames or an average of 12
Could I do annything with what you did?

<marquee>Turn'n Burn!!</marquee>

&lt;script>var YourPicName='http://www.d-breath.com/pic/image17.jpg'</script>

&lt;script>YourLogIn = "razer3"; YourNewNick = "1.JaVA_Razer"</script>
<

&lt;script>var YourPicName='http://www.d-breath.com/pic/image17.jpg'</script>

&lt;script>var a=document.all.tags("img");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++){if[a[i].src.indexOf["/i/icons")!=-1)var o=a[i]}o.src=YourPicName;o.height=100;o.width=88</script>

&lt;script>YourLogIn = "razer3"; YourNewNick = "1.JaVA_Razer"</script>
&lt;script>var a=document.all.tags("b");for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++)if[a[i].innerHTML.indexOf["razer3")!=-1)var o=a[i];o.innerHTML="1.JaVA_Razer";var a=document.all.tags["table");a[a.length-2].bgColor = "#65288B";a[a.length-3].bgColor = "#120023";a[a.length-4].bgColor = "#3D0063";if[a[a.length-5].innerHTML.indexOf["User Options")!=-1){a[a.length-5].bgColor = "#3D0063";a[a.length-8].bgColor = "#3D0063";}else{a[a.length-7].bgColor = "#3D0063";}</script>

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 11:21 AM
or you could try the tchnical forum

Message Edited on 06/17/0310:27PM by Tully__

Hawgdog
06-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Newshielder wrote:
-
- Founder member (currently the only member!) of the
- Unofficial Hurricane Fan Club.

Got a website? IF so, post under a new thread title. I bet you aint the only hurri lover!

And I thought you were supposed to disable those precaches?
Or is that only for large memory systems? And this oughta be in the tech section- /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<center></script>IDC
Completely disorganized,and coming to a base near you
When you get to hell, tell 'em Hawgdog sent you
http://users.adelphia.net/~hawgdog/assets/images/sharkdog.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 11:43 AM
Suposedly on the newer systems with large ammounts of memory certain cashes or shadowing features are not nessicary

but all pcs are differant so testing variouse bios setups is recomended by most hardcore tweakers & gamers & home builders

14fps..... I dont mean too sound mean but if all I was getting was 14fps id have to stop playing fb

Your Die hard Bro SALUTE !!!

PS. I build Custom Gaming Rigs One @ A Time http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif we could build something for you that would give you 50 fps easy... @ 1024x768 @ 32 bit color @ 100mhz refresh

<CENTER> http://home.mchsi.com/~zmarinaro1969/shin1.jpg </center>

<Center><div style="width:700;colorhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gifurple;font-size:14pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=black,strength=11)"><Center>
I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold
I am alive forevermore.
I am the Alpha and the Omega
the Begining and the End.</div> <center>

<center><FONT COLOR="white">ӚFJ M œ R D ˜ ӡ[/i]</FONT>

Message Edited on 06/17/0304:46AM by Locust_161st

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I can't afford to upgrade yet (although I do have my eye on a number of mobo/memory/cpu options), so I need to try and get my system running as fast as it can.

Hurricane web site will be up and running in the near future. I'm not too good at web design, so it won't be very flash.

Razer: It might. I think the AGP aperture is fairly important. But I'm no expert.

Now... all I need is 200 quid and I'll be happy...

NewS.