PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow, Revelation.....I can fly!!!

Lav69
01-25-2005, 03:38 PM
After some fooling around with my X45 profile yesterday - layed out of work, hehehe - I discovered something. To free one of my hats I put my elevator trim on rotary 2 on the throttle. Holy cr@p. I flew some on Warclouds and never before have I flown so effortlessly (109/G-6). I was able to hold altitude and speed perfectly and engage when I wanted to. Of course I got my a$$ handed to me as always when I did engage. But never the less I truly learned something yesterday. I know some of you vets will say ....NO DUHH!!! But as someone who doesn't get to fly as much as he would like too, these tidbits of info are nice to stumble across. This has added to my knowledge base and enjoyment of this great sim. Just wanted to share my revelation. Lata. S!

zjulik
01-25-2005, 03:55 PM
I had exactly the same revelation, Lav69. Flying is before and after.
Now what about pedals? You`re in for the same experience...

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 03:56 PM
The best way to build a profile for your X45 is to do it in little steps. You fly a bit and see what keys you press most often. You learn over time what you need to have right under your finger tips. If you build your profile slowly, you learn it more easily. I have never found a profile done by someone else that suited me personally. I don€t have TrackIR, so views are important to me. I have pedals so I use the rudder rocker for normal view and the zoomed in gunsite view; I can toggle back and forth quickly. I also have the padlock key close at hand so I can switch it on and off. It works for me, but it might not be right for anyone else.
I use only two modes; one for general flying chores like taking off and landing. The other mode is for fighting. There is some overlap. The flaps work in both modes the same way just in case I need to drop them a bit in a fight. That is just one example.
I have elevator trim on a rotary too. I have prop pitch on the other one.

Lav69
01-25-2005, 03:57 PM
I have pedals zjulik. Ch Pro peddles. Dont use rudder to much though. Am I missing something here as well? In the past when I tried to use rudder during combat I stalled or bled to much E.

Chuck_Older
01-25-2005, 03:59 PM
I've tried to fly many times. I can't get my arms going fast enough, but they say that only quitters give up!

kiddknapp59
01-25-2005, 04:01 PM
You should use a touch of rudder to coordinate your turns. Mainly I use rudders to line up shots, and to line up the runway. You should be able to use the rudders to scrub excess speed on approach, but it doesn€t seem to work that well in this sim.
After making a pass at a target, a train for example, I will yaw the plane back and forth just to make it hard for the flak to hit me.

Lav69
01-25-2005, 04:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
I've tried to fly many times. I can't get my arms going fast enough, but they say that only quitters give up! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jump off your roof then flap.

Lav69
01-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Chuck_Older is really Joe Strummer. He lives in the Bahamas with Jimmy Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and Elvis. They sit around drinking RumRunners and playing PF all the time.

LStarosta
01-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Only a novice doesn't use rudder.

Buy yourself a private pilot book(s) on basic flight aerodynamics, and start reading. And then try to apply it to your flying. Learn about coordinated turns. Learn about what coordination does to your E-retention. Learn to use the rudder for gunnery. Learn what effect coordination has on gunnery.

Not to sound condescending, but the fact is, that you can't be a good in the cockpit, if you aren't good with the books. Flying "by the ear" is one thing, but you still need to know your aerodynamics, and rudder use falls into that category. It may seem intimidating at first, but it's not. It all makes sense, because it is science, and inherently, that is its nature.

Lav69
01-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Appreciate the advice LStar. Gotta find more time.

LStarosta
01-25-2005, 04:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lav69:
Appreciate the advice LStar but time constraits make all that difficult. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what ya mean... I haven't flown as a matter of education in maybe... 2 months? The weather doesn't help, but being a full time student and flight training is a handful!

An alternative to bookworming is going on HL and asking a ton of questions. Or Googling for a few articles. It will REALLY pay off. Best of luck!

Taylortony
01-25-2005, 04:59 PM
i have it one rotary switch 1, always have had, it makes it so easy to keep her trimmed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-HH- Beebop
01-25-2005, 06:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kiddknapp59:
You should use a touch of rudder to coordinate your turns. Mainly I use rudders to line up shots, and to line up the runway. You should be able to use the rudders to scrub excess speed on approach, but it doesn€t seem to work that well in this sim.
After making a pass at a target, a train for example, I will yaw the plane back and forth just to make it hard for the flak to hit me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also, as you do a perpendicular approach to a train or a vehicle column, if using guns, use the rudder to yaw back and forth a bit. This will usually yield a larger number of hits, thusly a larger number of destroyed train cars/vehicles.

works for me.

sunflower1
01-25-2005, 06:08 PM
and...you can't hit top speed in most a/c without some use of rudder or rudder trim. I took up a P-40 of some kind a few nights ago and my left fingers felt like they'd been to the gym.

nickdanger3
01-25-2005, 06:35 PM
I just got an x-45 about a month ago and had a similiar revelation. Using the keyboard for trim just doesn't compare.

You went the whole 9 yards, right LAV, and mapped prop pitch too to the other rotary right?

Changes your flying quickly.

Chuck_Older
01-25-2005, 08:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lav69:
Chuck_Older is really Joe Strummer. He lives in the Bahamas with Jimmy Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and Elvis. They sit around drinking RumRunners and playing PF all the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, we've moved to Stevie Ray's place in Bermuda, and it's margaritas. Well, Janice drinks rumrummers. We're trying to get Buddy to loosen up, Ritchie did. But all Buddy can say is stuff like "Boola-Boola" and "Oh-HA-ho-ho, hey hey hey-hey", so I'm pretty sure old Buddy has a stash of his own liquor

GreyBeast
01-26-2005, 04:30 AM
Chuck_Older is really Joe Strummer. He lives in the Bahamas with Jimmy Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and Elvis. They sit around drinking RumRunners and playing PF all the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot Janis Joplin, the Carpenters' girl, Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, Sid Barrett... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oops, Chuck_Older was faster...

Bearcat99
01-26-2005, 04:45 AM
Well DUHHHH!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Prop pitch and trim on a slider.... a must IMO. If you have an X45 and pedals use the rudder rocker for flaps.. works like a charm. You will find that having trim and flaps alone at your fingertips is great news.