PDA

View Full Version : AAGGGHH I died :-(

SubQual
04-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Well it was going so well. I was given a patrol area just off the north coast of Ireland. I had already sunk a T2 and a C2 in the area when I detected my FIRST convoy.

I moved into position between the northern most row and the next one south. I lined up my shots, 1 fish for a T2, 1 for a Coastal, and 2 for a T3. I then fired the rear tube at a C2.

All shots away I dove to 65 meters, turned so I could stay in the convoys sound areas and went to flank speed. I ran like that for 5 minutes and then dropped to silent running.

The destroyers somehow figured out where I was, with all those ships making noise I have no idea how they found me.

They would make a battle pass, as I heard the screws pick up into high gear I would go to flank and turn hard.

Three different passes they made, all three times they missed. Pass 4 looked like it would miss as well when suddenly a depthcharge exploded right on me, next thing I see is the death screen :-(

This patrol was going so well :-(

Oh well, Iron Man rules for me, I die, I start over ;-)

SubQual
04-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Well it was going so well. I was given a patrol area just off the north coast of Ireland. I had already sunk a T2 and a C2 in the area when I detected my FIRST convoy.

I moved into position between the northern most row and the next one south. I lined up my shots, 1 fish for a T2, 1 for a Coastal, and 2 for a T3. I then fired the rear tube at a C2.

All shots away I dove to 65 meters, turned so I could stay in the convoys sound areas and went to flank speed. I ran like that for 5 minutes and then dropped to silent running.

The destroyers somehow figured out where I was, with all those ships making noise I have no idea how they found me.

They would make a battle pass, as I heard the screws pick up into high gear I would go to flank and turn hard.

Three different passes they made, all three times they missed. Pass 4 looked like it would miss as well when suddenly a depthcharge exploded right on me, next thing I see is the death screen :-(

This patrol was going so well :-(

Oh well, Iron Man rules for me, I die, I start over ;-)

blue_76
04-08-2005, 09:34 PM
try not to use flank speed so often and for long periods like 5 mins.. flank speed creates too much noise underwater giving away your position. you should only use it if the depth charges are going off or if you have to throw off a destroyer by doing it for a very short time like <1min and make turn in another direction.. sometimes i use flank speed if i'm directly under a convoy and need to position myself for a better shot at a target that is moving away too fast.. its also useful for making faster dives but only for a short period of time.. in my experience, whenever i used flank speed for more than 2 mins (outside but close to the convoy), I would be detected, this is especially true in the years following 1942. hope this helps..

good luck!