PDA

View Full Version : Did you know that highest score ace of VVS

alert_1
04-27-2007, 05:29 AM
was Lev Lvovic Shestakov with 74 kills? If not you migh appreciate this wonderfull site:
http://aces.safarikovi.org/

Deadmeat313
04-27-2007, 05:49 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Very good resource. Cheers!

T.

horseback
04-27-2007, 11:05 AM
According to Stalin's Eagles, by Hans D. Seidl, Shestakov was credited with 23 personal victories and 44 "fractional" credits. Of those he had 8 personal and 31 fractional credits from the Spanish Civil War.

Apparently his experience and skills kept him in the leading/teaching role as much as combat pilot. The account of his career says he had 400 sorties, with 200 in the Great Patriotic War, and mentions that other sources credit him with up to 29 personal victories and 45 fractional, or shared credits in up to 600 sorties and 130 combats.

The man was clearly a stud.

He was commanding the 9th GIAP when he was killed over the Proskurov area on March 13, 1944, exploding two Stukas at point blank range before flying throught the debris of one of his victims damaged his aircraft and forcing him to attempt bailing out at low altitude. His 'chute failed to open fully.

cheers

horseback

crazyivan1970
04-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Latest Biography of Pokrishkin states that he actually scored over 130 victories, based on his note books. But due to claiming procedures he didnt even bother with those planes that were shot down behind enemy lines. Also he spared many kills to young pilots. But apparently noted every plane that he shot down.

FPSOLKOR
04-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Just now there is a book coming out (in Russian) with ALL of aces of VVS and PVO with 10 kills and more

http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/3271498/

According to this book Pokryshkin claimed 46 kills in all... That does not put him in official top 10...

Tooz_69GIAP
04-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Having read recently Attack of the Airacobra, which describes much of Pokryshkin's activities in the Kuban, I wonder just how many kills were made by many of the VVS pilots who went on 'free hunts' behind enemy lines, but didn't file claims as they wouldn't be awarded the credit due to lack of ground witnesses, or access to debris, etc.

Grendel-B
04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Tooz_69GIAP:
Having read recently Attack of the Airacobra, which describes much of Pokryshkin's activities in the Kuban, I wonder just how many kills were made by many of the VVS pilots who went on 'free hunts' behind enemy lines, but didn't file claims as they wouldn't be awarded the credit due to lack of ground witnesses, or access to debris, etc.

Or how many of those claimed were bogus...

A funny example was one day in 1944, when two LLv26 Brewsters were flying to a recon mission, when two Soviet fighters appeared in opposite direction. Both flights passed each other without firing, but the radio reconnaissance section at home base heard how Russian pilots were yelling, calling attacks and warnings, then happily announced on radio they had shot down two Brewsters.

The two pilots were quite surprised when they returned home from the flight, as chaps in base wondered at them "but we listened the Russians on radio when they shot you down"...

Well, the then ground forces called in and told that two Soviet fighters had show most of their ammo on a lake and had had a fake dogfight with each other.

1+1... Equals a fake dogfight, where the Russians had offered a show to their own radio listeners, proved one victory to each other and could show "we spent most of our ammo in the fight"

Nice way to rack up the score.

crazyivan1970
04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
If i remember correctly Pokrishkin shot down 34 planes during battle of Kuban, but was credited only with 14 i believe.

crazyivan1970
04-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Grendel-B:
Well, the then ground forces called in and told that two Soviet fighters had show most of their ammo on a lake and had had a fake dogfight with each other.

1+1... Equals a fake dogfight, where the Russians had offered a show to their own radio listeners, proved one victory to each other and could show "we spent most of our ammo in the fight"

Nice way to rack up the score.

Nice story.... but it just a story. All the way up till late 1943, if ground did not confirm plane wrecks nobody was credited. So yea...

HerrGraf
04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Personally I feel (no I don't have track) that when talking of the best of the best, scores are not that important. It doesn't matter wheather he is flying for the British, Russians,Americans, Germans or Japanese- at this level of experience only the number of opportunities to participate in combat will effect the score.