PDA

View Full Version : Any tech heads here?

Warren_537
02-02-2005, 12:04 PM
I know this is a bit off topic guys but I am at a loss here and I could do with some help.

My PC has recently started playing up a bit. The **** thing has suddenly decided to develop a "Stutter". When the machine is just sat there the Windows Task Manager shows that the cpu is pulsing from about 5% to 15% on the CPU usage monitor. This pulse occurs about once every second or so.

I have reformatted my machine twice, using the recovery disk that was provided with it. The **** thing still does it. The "Stutter" affects the sound playback also. I have checked for all viruses / spyware and have formatted the machine with the net connection unplugged to ensure no software contamination. It still does it.

Anyone have any ideas that might help, no matter how strange they may sound?

One thing I have found is that I have a new video card in the machine ( an ATI where the old was NVidia ) but I removed the NVidia drivers and installed ATI ones. My display adapters ( in hardware manager ) is showing a Radeon 9800 Pro AND a Radeon 9800 Pro Secondary. I disabled the secondary but it made no difference.

Hope you guys can help.

Warren.

sav112
02-02-2005, 12:19 PM
I would always go with the premise that if the machine works fine till you add a new piece of hard-ware then it is it that is probably at fault. I don€t understand did your computer get upgraded by someone, how does it magically now have a new GFX card?

A stutter could be a Bios setting, could be the driver, could be a lot of things.

The thing is using the recovery disk that was provided with it does this cover the new upgrade or was this the recovery disc for the old machine set up? I€d try a new install of a fresh OS (not a recovery disk). Also find out exactly what new GFX card you have and find the right driver for it on the net.

http://www.guru3d.com/

blue_76
02-02-2005, 12:24 PM
also, check the IRQ settings of the card, make sure it does not conflict with any other hardware..

BobTuck
02-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I have had that problem in the past. The trouble is, I can't quite remember what the solution was!

My top two suggestions for possible causes are:

a) Graphics card. Try and determine just exactly what you have installed, and what it is you want installed. Boot up the computer in safe mode, and check in the 'software installed' part of control panel to see if you have old versions of graphics drivers still hanging about. If you have, get rid of them. Install the latest drivers (for your card model) and direct x from the internet.

b) Heat build up in computer. If your graphics card has temperature sensors on it, and it came with monitoring software, try examining what temperature your graphics card and cpu are running at. Check on the internet to see what the normal operating temperatures for your hardware are. I know for a fact that heat build up on my graphics card has caused stutter in my computer before now. I solved it by buying a new comp. case (with 120mm fans!), and by tidying up my internal cables. That did the trick.

Regards,
BobTuck.

Messervy
02-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Since you didn`t provide any hardware specs I have to ask these stupid questions.
1. Did you check your bios settings (AGP apperiture etc....?
2. Did you check your motherboard compatibility?
3. What kind of power supply you have? - those Radeons are very thirsty.
These are hardware things you might want to check. If everything is O.K. install the card in friends computer and if it works fine, focus on software.
The link you got by sav112 is the place to go!

Good luck!

Quote: Radeon 9800 Pro AND a Radeon 9800 Pro Secondary

I assume that the word AND means you don`t know that your card supports two monitors at the same time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

macker33
02-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Try updateing your sound card drivers?