PDA

View Full Version : A letter from Oleg Maddox

Gbucket
11-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Dear users,

Due to illness of one of our main programmers we had to delay a bit the release of the add-on with the patch and dedicated server of both versions.
However, during this time we took into account the comments and suggestions you sent in to make many changes to the code that will fix most, if not all bugs and will improve (!) the sim with the new features.

The add-on with the patch will include:

Fixes.
<LI>New DGen (dynamic campaign generator), which will include new campaigns and improvements of gameplay.
<LI>New features for the control of gunfire power of the ships, that will help to tune custom-made missions (especially for online gameplay) and to allow you to fine-tune the Dynamic campaign.
<LI>New planes: Flyable F2A-2, Ki-100-I Ko, G4M Betty AI only G4M + MXY7 as fully working system.
<LI>New map - Marianes (Singapore still in development)
In addition, if all is OK, you will enjoy AI Tempest MkV (for the merged install only). The cockpit for this plane is also in development.
A very talented third-party modeller did an incredible good work without any bugs in 3D technology. His name and his skins you will be announced with the release.

I hope to release this add-on/patch next week when our programmer involved in this development gets better.

For the future we are also preparing some other nice surprises for the community.

IN the meantime, here are a couple of screenshots of the Ki-100-I Ko to whet your appetite.

Oleg Maddox.

Billy_BigBoy
11-05-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear that and I hope he'll recover soon.
In the mean time we can wait (can we? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif) and I'm very pleased to hear their will be a MXY7, I'm looking forward to that...well...plane.

jasonburn
11-05-2004, 01:13 PM
what is a MXY7?????

totally unknown for me...

will this be a japanese uberplane like the famous german ochkatzlschwoaf?? we defended with sucess the luftwhiners in this important point.

stop japanese uberplanes!!!

corsair won the war. be sure

SeaFireLIV
11-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Hope your main programmer gets better soon... and not just for PF. Just for his own well being.

FI_Macca44
11-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Sorry to hear about the programmer's health problems, hope he will be ok soon.Glad to hear the news aobut the upcoming add-on/patch from Mr Maddox, sounds great to me.

S!

crazyivan1970
11-05-2004, 01:45 PM
w00t!

Snootles
11-05-2004, 02:09 PM
The MXY7 is the Ohka or "Baka Bomb" piloted missile. Not exactly what I would call an "uber type" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif .

The addition of the Ki-100 so early is fantastic! A question: Does that plane list mean the "Betty" is AI only or that the "Betty"-Ohka combination is AI only? Not clear.

crazyivan1970
11-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Betty flyable as far as i understood, read it like: "G4M Betty and AI only G4M + MXY7 as fully working system.

GoldenEagleFM
11-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Dear Oleg,

first of all my best wishes for good health to your collegue, and hope he will be back soon with you and us.

It is from the very beginning, that is the first IL2 release, that I immediately put aside all other flight simulators available at that time(except Flanker). So today I have on my machine IL2+AEP+PF for propeller driven WW2 planes (ok there are some exceptions with ME232 etc.) and Lock On for jet fighters. I went through all (sure 95%) the flight simulators from the first nearly 20 years ago on MAC and PC. I must admit that there are only two simulators that have me hooked so much in regard to their capability to immerse myself. The first was many many years ago with Hellcats Over The Pacific and FA18 Hornet on MAC from Graphic Simulations and then your IL2 and the various addons. Between jets and propeller driven aircraft I clearly am a propeller fanatic.

I am myself a private pilot and aerobatic pilot and fly about various standard airplanes like pipers, cessnas, diamond, and cap10 for aerobatics, but fly also an older (1950's) fighter pilot trainer plane the Pilatus P3-05. So when I mean immersion I have some idea about what it means. With the very powerful scenario generator you have given us the possibility to extend the lifetime of the product ad infinitum.

Very interestingly there are some similarities in behaviour between the Graphic Simulations team and your team. They made many patches available, I had the possibility to talk directly to the developers (believe it on the phone yes) and solve problems I had, they were very friendly open and reactive. In fact they were totally passionate as yourself and your team is too.

But I think were you really for me have won the gold medal is in the customer care business. How many softwares (some professional costing a thousand dollars and more) after being sold full of bugs become a nightmare regarding support, when they are not just abandoned. I have had some bitter experience. But IL2 which after all is said to be a game product (not "important"), for after hours leisure activity, is being supported, improved, corrected, perfected etc..by a very dedicated team.

I paid around 60 US$ (yes in Europe it is more expensive)for IL2, a little less (25 US$) for AEP and again about 60 US$ for PF. This is an investment distributed over two years and there is potential for years to come. Basically if I try to make an hourly cost calculation, thank's to you Oleg I am having incredible fun for free.

So dear Oleg when yo ask us to excuse you because you may have a week delay for an upgrade, I say: Are you kidding?

We are the ones that should ask you to excuse us that we are being so impatient and eager to get new planes, maps, functions etc. etc.

So after all this is said:

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH, and I wish to you and your team the best possible success in your actual and future business.

Now sorry to leave you but I have a war to win somewhere in the Pacific.

jasonburn
11-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Thank you folks for the Info, getting the Baka is a very very big surprise for me.

I think Oleg Maddox shares his favorite flight sim with us.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Getting such uniqe planes like Mistel, V1 mostly all of the important planes in whole WW2 - now KI 100 and Tempest.

Just one thing i cant understand: Oleg listen to the community and doing such a lot of efforts. Why get PF such worst ratings???

Mostly ratings are clear under 80 points, this seems for me not fair.

Ratings should be above 80 points. So what went wrong in the PR and Marketing department???

ucanfly
11-05-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info Mr. M. I wish your developer a speedy and complete recovery. The Ki-100 especially is good news and am thoroughly enjoying your sim. Looking forward very much to what is yet to come!

Chuck_Older
11-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Dear programmer:

Last year I was deathly ill and required two operations, one of which was an emergency procedure, or I would have died (for real). Being sick sucks.

Get better. Or I'll kick your ar$e. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jaws43
11-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the info (information = motivation) and good luck to the the develper.

JSBirdmann
11-05-2004, 03:20 PM
The one major omission in my eyes(and it would seem many others)is the total lack of player controled torpedo bombing. Even "Dynamics", and "Microprose" more than a decade ago realized that you can't have a pacific theatre WWII combat flight sim, and call it complete without an accurate model for torpedo Bombing.

Flying an "Avenger" in "1942: The Pacific Air War" (MicroProse, 1994) in a torpedo bombing run was a white knuckle affair. Close to the surface, reduced air speed, maintaining the proper angle of attack, all the while trying to avoid deck gun tracers comming from everwhere...it does'nt get any better than that in my book. The thought of having the ability to re-live that combat scenario, only this time in a fully fleshed out "Oleg Maddox" WWII flight sim had me breathless with anticipation for months. After installing PF, and then being overwhelmed with a "What the" feeling, I would like to know if there are any plans to implement a fully realized TB model. After all, how can you even think of portraying "Pearl Harbor", and not allow us to torpedo bomb?

I have been a great fan of you and your teams work since "iL2" was first released, and have all "iL2" products( the best of the best), so please tell me that my ability to re-live that feeling is soon to come, or if not the case, please explain to me why.

Thankyou for your time. (fingers crossed)

13sqGambler
11-05-2004, 03:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> IN the meantime, here are a couple of screenshots of the Ki-100-I Ko to whet your appetite.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ermmm...where are those screenshots?

VW-IceFire
11-05-2004, 04:00 PM
In the Dev Updates section. They look good!

I looked into things...its an early Ki-100 which was essentially built from remaining Ki-61's. Should be pretty good in performance...its said to have been able to go up and match the performance of Hellcats so that sounds good!

AFJ_rsm
11-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Someone pls send an email to the man and tell him I love him.

Feathered_IV
11-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Very happy... Hard to type from all the streamers around here. Is that champagne? Lovely!

VOL_Mountain
11-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Its always a pleasure for the community to receive a note from Oleg. Hope your programmer has a speedy recovery.

I'm curious if the Avenger and Kate are on the list to be flyable aircraft?

Supr
11-05-2004, 04:38 PM
"For the future we are also preparing some other nice surprises for the community."

You just can't help but love this guy.

Mashie_Nibblick
11-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I wish your staff member all the best, and thank you to you and your whole team for all your hard work.

Matt.

Dagger_3
11-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, I am sorry to hear that a good mind is sick, but most of the time people get better.
I am very hmmm how should I put it... intreaged... on the pioleted rocket. I hope you dont like suppy ships very much, beacause I already have turned myself into a flying bomb in AEP (I got I bit bord once, so I took an A6M and payed a viset to some B-17s http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif) and I also like the idea of a tempest. I want the game, but I figure I could wait http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif and get it for free, and de-bugged for chistmas. And while I am writing this, there was/is a fourem on full mission bilder ideas some 9 or 10 pgs long, and I would be gratful if one of your staff could at least run off the ideas so the peaople are herd. It would be a hell of a patch too. As always, well.. you can just read me name to the top left. I wish your staff membre a speedy recovery.

*PS, when will there be a siolent hunters 3 website?* http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

matthewlue
11-05-2004, 09:02 PM
errr, no words about the torpedo bombers.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

seems we missed them again~

heywooood
11-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Oleg - thank you for updating us personally.

The PF looks fantastic, great work by all of your people again!

I hope Ilya will be fully well very soon.

Great news on the first patch to be made available so soon. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Tdavart
11-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the update Oleg. PF really is beautiful.

TheGozr
11-06-2004, 02:05 AM
I forgot to tell for an updates we have to inform olegs team that i'm shure the map's program maker have an update version and maybe with a such Expensive software that 1C have, they could afford this one.

SO get some good cough medecine pump up the heater and ask the team to work on it and if they are not happy many of us would do the job for them... me included.

Voila.

aminx
11-06-2004, 03:03 AM
Dear Oleg,

Unfortunately there is no mention of flyable torp bombers in the patch or in dev for the next patch which even for the near future,WHY?!!
aminx

Athosd
11-06-2004, 04:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JSBirdmann:
The one major omission in my eyes(and it would seem many others)is the total lack of player controled torpedo bombing.(trim) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Though I know its not quite what you are after, both the Beaufighter and the A20 Havoc can serve as torpedo bombers.
So its not true to say there is a "total lack" in this regard.

The G4M Betty, in this first patch, will also carry torps.
I want those carrier torp bombers too - and I believe the dev team would also like to add them as soon as possible. Just have to wait and see.

Salute Oleg - thanks for the update.

DuxCorvan
11-06-2004, 05:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Last year I was deathly ill and required two operations, one of which was an emergency procedure, or I would have died (for real). Being sick sucks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hear that, Chuck. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I'm so glad you're back in the barracks. Curious enough, I'd really miss one of my best 'invisible friends' around here. Grampa, I like the itchy feel of your grey beard when I'm in the forums. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Even if you're OK now... get even better! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BTW, I think the sick prog dev is Luthier himself. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>IN the meantime, here are a couple of screenshots of the Ki-100-I Ko to whet your appetite. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice, Oleg, nice Oleg! The Ki-100 you had in your pocket for us, is a real surprise! (Hope u have fixed that lame 'Tony', besides) But, to be sincere, I miss a pair of things: Jippo's incredible Ju 88s -which should be finished by now, tho I guess they imply a lot of programation and... the Ki-100 pics themselves. Where are they? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

DuxCorvan
11-06-2004, 05:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Over the Hills and O'er the Main,
To Flanders, Portugal and Spain,
The Queen commands and we'll obey
Over the Hills and far away. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice song, Athos, I know it. But if Drake or you try to obey Queen's command on Spanish soil, we'll kick ur a$$es. Get advertised... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

S1Ngle
11-06-2004, 05:54 AM
It's a pleasure to see that Russian games became more popular at the West! =)
Russian rulezzz

RobertNighthawk
11-06-2004, 06:21 AM
Dagger_3:

http://www.silent-hunteriii.com/uk/dev_corner.php

That's for SHIII.

S!

RobertNighthawk
11-06-2004, 06:26 AM
Dagger_3:

http://www.silent-hunteriii.com/uk/dev_corner.php

That's for SHIII.

S!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif Oleg is Santa. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

buz13
11-06-2004, 06:56 AM
PF is (as expected) another great additon to the IL2 series. I would mostly like to see the
"Avenger" added to the flyable. I understand that no Kate's survived the war and cockpit info is lacking but there are Avenger's out there. So please tell us a cockpit for the Avenger is in the works and it will be flyable in the future......

DuxCorvan
11-06-2004, 07:40 AM
If there are no Kates left, they could make a reasonable cockpit with the data available. After all, who's going to denounce the inaccurate details if there's nothing to compare it with? And how many BI-1s or Komets are left?

Blottogg
11-06-2004, 08:56 AM
UbiRazz and Oleg, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear Ilya is sick. Straight to bed with him, lots of chicken soup, and no programming this weekend.

I'm surprised to see the Ki-100 so soon, but very happy. The Ohka/Betty combination will make the late war scenarios interesting, too. And I'm looking forward to comparing the US Buffalo to the Finnish version, as well as the Wildcat. And I think you made IceFire's week with the Tempest news.

Those looking for the screenshots can find them using the link on the home page a couple of entries down, or this:

http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/screenshots.php

Thanks again, and hope Ilya feels better soon.

clint-ruin
11-06-2004, 09:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
If there are no Kates left, they could make a reasonable cockpit with the data available. After all, who's going to denounce the inaccurate details if there's nothing to compare it with? And how many BI-1s or Komets are left? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a Komet at the australian war memorial :> it's an ugly little thing in person, I think.

Snootles
11-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Interestingly enough, the Wildcat almost didn't make production because of the Buffalo. Some thought the Navy and Marines didn't need another new high-tech monoplane fighter. Luckily they decided it was unwise to place too much faith in one design. Not to impugn on the design of the Buffalo, but I don't know how the war would have turned out if the Navy and Marines were eqipped entirely with Buffaloes in 1942/early 1943.

BlitzPig_Frat
11-06-2004, 12:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the G4M is/was capable of carrying and deploying torpedos. It may not be a carrier plane, but it will fill the void in the meantime.

Snootles
11-06-2004, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It may not be a carrier plane <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That won't stop me from flying it off the deck of the Akagi...

Landing it on a carrier is another story.

Jetenginedr
11-06-2004, 02:57 PM
maybe it can be landed with full brakes? worth a try

goshikisen
11-06-2004, 03:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
If there are no Kates left, they could make a reasonable cockpit with the data available. After all, who's going to denounce the inaccurate details if there's nothing to compare it with? And how many BI-1s or Komets are left? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazingly enough Dux there are at least 10 original Komets in museums around the world. I've seen the NASM's 163... and one was recently restored by the Canadian Aviation Museum in Ottawa.

The Bi-1. I seem to recall there being a photograph of Luthier and a Bi-1... I think it was taken at an aviation museum in Moscow.

Kates. Sadly there isn't a single airframe left. Strange to think that so many of them were built and none still exist.

Regards, Goshikisen

Da_Godfatha
11-06-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks Mr.Maddox for the info.

But, I see still no mention of a flyable Hawk 75/P-36....

Snootles
11-06-2004, 05:00 PM
I take my comment back. The G4M will be carrier landable. I just took a He 111H-6 off from the Saratoga and landed it. TB-3 here I come!

uhoh7
11-06-2004, 08:30 PM
It really means alot that you take the time to tell us what is going on.

I heard Luthier and his family were ill, and please tell him we all wish him and his family all the best.

Being able to adjust power of ship flak will be wonderful.

Since strafing ships is going to increase with the release of PF, someday I would love to see a more complex damage model for some of the ships, like the dry and liquid cargo ships.

With heavy canon fire we should be able to start a fire or leave some marks.

I'm sure you also read posts wishing for kate and avenger. If we knew that someday we will get them, i think we could quiet down, hehe.

SO many things about the game are great, and very very accurate, like the stunning cockpits. I think the other thing we crave are complex flight models like we saw in the patches before the release of FB.

thanks so much for everything,

all the best,

uhoh7

RAAF_Typhoon77
11-07-2004, 12:29 AM
Speaking on behalf of the Aussies round we would love to see the Boomerang in the air also if possible the SeaHurricane MkIIC with arrestor hook
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Nige_Reconman
11-07-2004, 02:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAAF_Typhoon77:
Speaking on behalf of the Aussies round we would love to see the Boomerang in the air also if possible the SeaHurricane MkIIC with arrestor hook
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As yet another Aussie i second that request. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the update Oleg, hopefully the team members illness is merciful and is short and non-distressing. Thanks for the continual updates, we do really appreciate it and of course all your hard work. Somehow i think you're tougher on yourself then we ever could be in regards to these games.

Bearcat99
11-07-2004, 03:47 PM
The personal touch..... cant beat it. Send Ilya kudos. Nice to hear about the adjustable flak. Will this just be on ships across the board or just the ones in PF? Either way it is great. For all you newcomers (and some highstrung oldtimers... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif).... this is why most of the oldtimers say... just relax..... everything going to be alright.

Takata_
11-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Right now, I've got FB+AEP 2.4, FB+AEP+PF 3.0 and PF stand alone installed on my HD. Maybe I have to drop one or two installs when patch will be released?

What are you planning to do with the patches?

- a patch for 3.0 only or it will be possible to add new planes (like AIs Tempest) to FB+AEP 2.4 without PF?

- a patch for PF different from the one for FB+AEP+PF 3.0, without any stuff not for the pacific theater?

- I wonder if I'll have to download 3 patches, one for each version?

Takata

Dagger_3
11-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the site to SH3 Robert, and Snoot, you might land a G4M on the Akgaki if you put your flaps all down, clear the deck, and belly in. Now wont that be intresting. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

RAAF_Typhoon77
11-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Did a little research on the seahurricane and it appears it was used in the 1942-1945 period. Also as most people think it was just a catapult off barges it was a fully landable carrier fighter. Im not sure where it was used someone help me here?

9th_Trespa
11-08-2004, 02:41 AM
for those who wanna know what the MXY7 is :
http://www.warbirdpix.com/Yasakuni/Ohka-11.jpg

WTE_Gog
11-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Sea Hurricanes?

They were probably used on the Russian bound convoys aboard those tiny escort carriers (I think they carried about 6 planes max).

SKULLS_Exec01
11-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Sorry to hear of the sickness, I hope he gets well very soon!!!
Bummer on the no flyable carrier based torp bomber, I had high hopes for that in this patch, but maybe next one. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Oleg, thanks for taking the time, resourses and money to patch this game - you are top notch in my book!! Salute

RAAF_Typhoon77
11-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Yeah some of my sources say that the SeaHurricane was used somewhere in the pacific by the RN would be a truely great plane to fly as it has a bit in common with a Tempest/Typhoon with the 4 Spanos

murewa
11-09-2004, 09:49 AM
I may be mistaken, but wasn't the avenger supposed to be a new flyable? such a cool plane and would be so much fun to fly.

TheEngine88
11-17-2004, 06:21 AM
So, I guess we can forget about the whole "next week" thing, huh?

Typical....