PDA

View Full Version : Modern combat sims



GatorSub1942
09-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know of any upcoming modern fighter sims with deep, dynamic campaigns like in EF2000 and Falcon 4.0 Allied Assault (and the explosions in that were crap)? All we've seen for years is Lock On and the only reason I didn't buy that is because there is no dynamic campaign (ridiculous in this day and age). Come on, devs! Let's see some modern warbirds in action in the near future.

Stingray333
09-26-2008, 11:32 AM
EF2000, how I miss that game! It was so awesome, 3D cockpit and everything and great graphics so long ago, I don't really follow flight sim development, just play a little IL-2 here and there, so not sure what is on the horizon... I sure miss EF2000 though, glad someone remembers that game,

Stingray

p51srule
09-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I hear yea brother, its ******ed how we in 2008 and we have the best ww2 aircraft games and we have crapy modern aircraft games on the pc. yes theirs some good ones on the major game consle *cough* Over G fighter, Ace combat series *cough*

but whats also weird about that they have like no ww2 aircraft games the only ones are like blazing angles and thats pretty much it. so its like a trend. the PCs get the got ww2 plane games and the consle got the good Modern plane games.

p51srule http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

"Speed is life in a dogfight"

I_KG100_Prien
09-26-2008, 12:09 PM
EF2000 was the Bees Knees.


Despite not having a Dynamic Campaign (which also kept me from buying it for a long time) I finally gave Lock On a chance and enjoy it. It's pretty fun online.. Once you get used to being shot down from BVR all the time- Nothing like IL2.

I like Falcon AF- Though I thought Falcon 3.0 was better overall.

Stingray333
09-26-2008, 12:22 PM
I've got LOMAC Flaming Cliffs and FSX, I just can't get into them. I just don't find the flight models to be as interesting as IL-2's or the landings to be as fun. I've bought some scenary upgrades for FSX but I still think that the ground scenery and trees in IL-2 look better than FSX anyday

Chris0382
09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Ive tried modern flight sims but you are not alway up close and personnal with the enemy. Sometimes its fire and forget or a fast paced straffing. Nothing compared to WW2 dogfighting or bombing runs were you are eye to eye with your enemy.

Haigotron
09-26-2008, 02:38 PM
if you're into choppers - DCS: Black Shark is gonna come out before the end of the year http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif they just enveiled screenshots of the main menu - which is a sign of near release http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I know i am drooling extensively on this one:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Sillius_Sodus
09-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Ahhhhh, EF2000, now THAT was a sim! Too bad it only supported 3d cards with the Voodoo chipset.

GatorSub1942
09-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Haigotron:
if you're into choppers - DCS: Black Shark is gonna come out before the end of the year http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif they just enveiled screenshots of the main menu - which is a sign of near release http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I know i am drooling extensively on this one:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Well, it'd be better than nothing! In fact, the last chopper game I played was Gunship 2000 and I remember it as being more action packed because of the slower pace. A modern attack chopper sim would probably be amazing!

Edit: The wait for a new fighter sim could soon be over! A quote from that same game's site:

...create missions and campaigns. A new campaign system allows the front line of the battlefield to move back and fourth according to your mission success or failure. Due to the increased flexibility of the DCS system, additional fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter add-ons will follow shortly.

GatorSub1942
09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Sillius_Sodus:
Ahhhhh, EF2000, now THAT was a sim! Too bad it only supported 3d cards with the Voodoo chipset.

Remake EF2000, someone!!! And Total Air War, that was another cracker. I remember firing up Falcon 4.0 Allied Assault thinking how lame the explosions were in that, compared to an ancient game like EF2000!!!

crucislancer
09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Stingray333:
EF2000, how I miss that game! It was so awesome, 3D cockpit and everything and great graphics so long ago, I don't really follow flight sim development, just play a little IL-2 here and there, so not sure what is on the horizon... I sure miss EF2000 though, glad someone remembers that game,

Stingray

I miss it, too. It was such a great sim, one of the best at the time.

Phil_C
09-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I just got falcon4 AA but i cant get it working with vista... even after patching http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

GatorSub1942
09-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Has anyone seen this:

http://lockoncampaign.com:8811/

They're trying to make a dynamic campaign engine for Lock On. Is this really old, or even dead, or is it something to get excited about?