PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire for sale

luftluuver
05-03-2007, 07:30 AM
http://www.provenancefightersales.com/vickers_spitfire_t8.htm

Hanglands
05-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Im so tempted to phone to find out the price out of curiosity. But then what do I say?

ploughman
05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
"Er, that sounds very reasonable. I'll have to get back to you, there's someone at the door."

WhtBoy
05-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Hanglands:
Im so tempted to phone to find out the price out of curiosity. But then what do I say?

Can I get two to go?

--Outlaw.

Daiichidoku
05-03-2007, 07:51 AM
buying the spit is NP

buying the gas to run it is...............

stanford-ukded
05-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Fear not, it doesn't use gas, it uses petrol!

Xiolablu3
05-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Oh my God, its a MkVIII too, my favourite mark!

I would selfishly restore it to its earlier cool looking 1 seater state and take off from our fields, fly around Derbyshire bullseyeing Womp Rats.

If I was super rich I would love to buy a SPit, Bf109 or FW190 to fly around in http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ploughman
05-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Two seater, so you can not only impress your friends, you can make them hurl too!

Sweet. Wonder why they're flogging it?

NAFP_supah
05-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I called the guy selling it, he said the low hours were because it was previously owned by a old lady who only used it to go the local tesco's once a fortnight!

Maj.Kaos
05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Hanglands:

Considering that they sold a Spitfire V project for $3.5 million suggest a price somewhere in that range.

I could just afford, and would rather prefer, the Boeing biplane. Less worries about crashing or damaging, less fuel and maintenance, less insurance, can fly low and slow and enjoy more scenery up close, don't need to constantly be flying to maintain the proficiency needed to fly the more demanding and faster a/c.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy the Spit or any other warbird. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Once flew in a modified Piper Cub with an 80 year old former crop duster pilot who trained fighter pilots during the war, had a blast flying under power lines, between trees, showed me how he could slip 45 degrees to landing. Cataracts didn't seem to phase him much! No, he lost his medical years before (but I had mine current), shouldn't have been flying, but we enjoyed it, and in backwoods Idaho, there's nothing to hit that ain't worth hitting.

leitmotiv
05-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks, LL. I have a disgusting multi-multi-multi-multi-multi-millionaire friend (who stuck me for a 200 dollar dinner four nights ago, that's how they get to be rich) who is completing flight lessons. I sent him the ad. I hope he buys the Spitfire. That way I'll have unlimited Spitfire fondle rights.

slappedsilly
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
That way I'll have unlimited Spitfire fondle rights.

LMAO! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

leitmotiv
05-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Not to mention this is the only way I'm ever going to have a chance to fly a Spitfire!

JG52Uther
05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm hoping to get a flight in a Me108 later this year.Not a Spitfire but still... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stackhouse25th
05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
my guess as an aircraft dealer would be about 2.3 million, probably one of the lowest time spitfires, plus its already a dual seat.

ploughman
05-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Not to mention this is the only way I'm ever going to have a chance to fly a Spitfire!

Almost certainly true. You really need to lobby this guy hard, whisper in his ear when he's asleep, that sort of thing (nothing creepy mind you). On the other hand, if you're a member of the Church of the Immaculate Spitfire, upon death and ascension you get to fly 70 zero hour warbirds of your choice.

leitmotiv
05-03-2007, 12:45 PM
His son is giving him grief. I'm trying to convince him that getting tricked out as Johnnie Johnson, taking off in a fire spitting Merlin, doing things like barrel rolls, split-arses, and zoom climbs will leave the lad gormstruck and hero worshiping---for at least five minutes. That will probably be worth three mil to the poor bistid.

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for my opportunity for sticktime like a large vulture. Herf herf.

Church of the Immaculate Spitfire. I like that. I'll settle for Our Lady of the Mk XIV for starters!

leitmotiv
05-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Bloody Hell! He wants to buy a P-38!

ploughman
05-03-2007, 01:59 PM
That rocks and all. Fancy having a mate with an actual P-38 on his drive so to speak but...where are you going to sit?

leitmotiv
05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Curses, foiled again! Obviously he is not aware of the Jeff Ethell P-38 bogey (Ethell bought the farm in a P-38 about 10 years ago). I am going to have to make him P-38 phobic, and get him back on the Spit track!

Taylortony
05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
It will be between about 1 to 1.5 Mil Sterling to buy and the current operating costs are about 4-5K per flying hour............

Just thought i'd let ya know

Xiolablu3
05-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Watching a documentary about the Spitfire today and an enginner from Supermarine said that they added power assisted ailerons to the Spitfire to improve its roll rate.

They were talking about the MkVIII and MkIX at this point in the doc, but he didnt mention a specific version.

Does anyone know anymore about this? I had never heard it before.

As the elevator on the Spitfire was extremely effective, but the ailerons less so, it seems to me that this would be an excellent addition for high speed roll rate.

Spit experts - Which versions? What years?

Daiichidoku
05-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Curses, foiled again! Obviously he is not aware of the Jeff Ethell P-38 bogey (Ethell bought the farm in a P-38 about 10 years ago). I am going to have to make him P-38 phobic, and get him back on the Spit track!

yes..get him interested in the challenging P 38

once he starts to read more about this bird, he will forget all about those...........
y'know, those paper things...ummmm....those British thingys

BSS_Sniper
05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
That spit was just at Sun N Fun here in Lakeland, FL.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/lifeguardhall/sp.jpg