PDA

View Full Version : Flying the Wildcat

RSSS
01-07-2005, 02:44 PM
What's the trick to raising and lowering the landing gear while flying the Wildcat? I know the real thing had a crank, but I can't figure out how to do it in The Game.

Blackdog5555
01-07-2005, 02:56 PM
U have to map the keys in the contols section.

alohajohnson
01-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Seems I can only get the Wildcat's flaps to extend in the landing pattern with the gear down. I can't use them in combat (they lower then instantly raise). Is this intended?

_54th_Target
01-07-2005, 04:52 PM
The flaps raise automatically if your airspeed is above a certain point.

Maybe it was that after the air resistance got past a certain point, the controls were not able to generate the force required to keep the flaps down.

_54th_Target

berg417448
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alohajohnson:
Seems I can only get the Wildcat's flaps to extend in the landing pattern with the gear down. I can't use them in combat (they lower then instantly raise). Is this intended? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Vacuum-operated wing flaps have only two positions €" up and down. The vacuum is obtained from the carburetor intake manifold and lowers the flaps against the springs that normally hold them up."

And from another source:

"The Wildcat has an interesting flap system that is activated by the vacuum system in the airplane and is also used to spin the gyro instruments for instrument flying. Instead of using positive pressure to operate the flap cylinder, this aircraft uses negative pressure or suction. A large tank in the rear of the aircraft stores the negative air pressure. At higher speeds, the negative pressure does not create enough force to overcome the air loads to lower the flaps. It will not hurt the system, as in some aircraft, to put the flaps down at high speed. They just simply won€t come down! Pilots could use this to their advantage in a dogfight and could select the flap handle down before engaging another aircraft. If during the dogfight the airplane happened to slow down below a certain speed, the flaps would creep out. The more the aircraft slowed down, the more flap would creep out. This gave the Wildcat a tighter turning radius, which was a major advantage in a dogfight, as they could potentially turn inside their opponent and get on his tail."

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraftpages/wildcat.htm

JG53Frankyboy
01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
there is a README in your PF folder !
read it.

Texas LongHorn
01-07-2005, 05:48 PM
berg is absolutely correct about the vacuum flap system and how it could be used in combat to tighten the turn radius. Anyone interested should look for a copy of Barrett Tillman's "The Wildcat in WWII." It talks about the manual gear, the flaps, combat operations, and probably more than you ever wanted to know about the fabulous "Aluminum Beer Keg with wings." Tillman also wrote a companion book about the Dauntless that goes into the same amount of detail. All the best, LongHorn

Hopper_35thCAG
01-07-2005, 07:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What's the trick to raising and lowering the landing gear while flying the Wildcat? I know the real thing had a crank, but I can't figure out how to do it in The Game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody has mentioned exactly what this guy should look for. The controls you're looking for are "Raise gear manually" and "Lower gear manually". Whatever keys you assign, you'll have to keep tapping it until you see the message "gear up/down" I use CTRL+G and SHIFT+G, respectively. S!