PDA

View Full Version : Add-on planes online

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 07:26 PM
This may have been answered but ...

I'm wondering how the add-on planes will appear to people how don't have the add-on when flying online.

Will the add-on planes be available as non flyable planes to those who dont' buy the add-on

OR

will there be separate add-on-only servers where only people with the add-on be able to fly? This would probably limit the number of people you could fly with/against.

Anyone know?

BTW, I'll be purchasing the add-on when it is released.

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 07:26 PM
This may have been answered but ...

I'm wondering how the add-on planes will appear to people how don't have the add-on when flying online.

Will the add-on planes be available as non flyable planes to those who dont' buy the add-on

OR

will there be separate add-on-only servers where only people with the add-on be able to fly? This would probably limit the number of people you could fly with/against.

Anyone know?

BTW, I'll be purchasing the add-on when it is released.

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 07:44 PM
no one knows?

bump

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Well, each successive version of IL-2/FB has been incompatable for online play with any other version.

The version that the server is using will dictate the version all the clients on that server will have to be using.

In the case of Ubi servers, this will be the most recent offical release version. Once 1.2 is out, you will need to upgrade to it to play on Ubi (and most of the other servers I imagine).

As to the retail add on, it probably be incompatable with IL-2 and FB, so it will not be possible to play it with FB (just as is the case with IL-2/FB).

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 08:08 PM
NegativeGee wrote:

- As to the retail add on, it probably be incompatable
- with IL-2 and FB, so it will not be possible to play
- it with FB (just as is the case with IL-2/FB).

hmm...depending on how many online players purchase this upgrade this may limit the appeal of the addon, effectively making it an offline only game especially if installing the paid addon makes it incompatible with FB (latest update).

I wonder if it'd be a better idea to make the paid planes visible in the regular version of FB without allowing those without the addon to fly them. The appearance of these 'special' planes in regular online servers might encourage those without the addon to purchase it too.

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 09:06 PM
air_malik wrote:
-
- NegativeGee wrote:
-
- hmm...depending on how many online players purchase
- this upgrade this may limit the appeal of the addon,
- effectively making it an offline only game
- especially if installing the paid addon makes it
- incompatible with FB (latest update).
-

Uh...your kidding...right?

No offense, but I'm naive enough to think that all who are able will buy the add-on and play on all of the servers running it. I want the latest version and don't want to have to mirror different patched versions for individual servers. That's just me though.

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-03-2003, 09:58 PM
I, like you, will also purchase the add-on even though I'm not too crazy about the extra planes - I'll be doing it more to support the development of this gaming niche. What I'm not sure about is how many others will purchase it.

I do have a feeling though that even those that whine the loudest here about having to pay for add-ons will be buying it.

Thunderbolt56 wrote:

- No offense, but I'm naive enough to think that all
- who are able will buy the add-on and play on all of
- the servers running it. I want the latest version
- and don't want to have to mirror different patched
- versions for individual servers. That's just me
- though.