PDA

View Full Version : How is elevator trim adjusted in Real Aircraft?

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Here is a question for any Real Life Pilots among us.
I have a Thrustmaster Cougar setup with a wheel-like control that I want to use for Elevator Trim in IL2-FB. To maximize the realism, I'd like it to work as much like a real airplane as possible.
It's my impression that real Prop planes use a wheel-like dial or control, with a horizontal axis that points side-to-side, so that the pilot adjusts trim by turning the (rear) rim of this wheel up or down.
If this is correct, can anyone with experience tell me WHICH DIRECTION this wheel turns to achieve nose-down trim? If not correct, feel free to set me straight.

Thanks in advance...

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:37 PM
Here is a question for any Real Life Pilots among us.
I have a Thrustmaster Cougar setup with a wheel-like control that I want to use for Elevator Trim in IL2-FB. To maximize the realism, I'd like it to work as much like a real airplane as possible.
It's my impression that real Prop planes use a wheel-like dial or control, with a horizontal axis that points side-to-side, so that the pilot adjusts trim by turning the (rear) rim of this wheel up or down.
If this is correct, can anyone with experience tell me WHICH DIRECTION this wheel turns to achieve nose-down trim? If not correct, feel free to set me straight.

Thanks in advance...

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Yes, it is a wheel like control but it is very stiff and requires a lot of turns to make a significant effect (Which is good, because often you don't want a significant effect)

Turning the wheel in a top-downwards direction will pitch the nose down, and vice versa.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:56 PM
in a cessna, turning the wheel up will give nose down trim.
you got everything right, methinks /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:59 PM
It depends on the plane, but generally speaking:

You'll find a vertical disc/dial (mounted like this: | ) that controls elevator trim. It works just like the control stick/yoke. Adjusting the disc down or "back" (rotate towards the tail/floor) will give nose up trim, and adjusting the disc up or "forward" (rotate towards the nose/instrument panel) will give nose down trim.

On the Cougar I have my ANT knob set for elevator trim. When it's in the center detent it's neutral, and rolling the notch forward (towards the front of the throttle) will give me nose down trim. It's a great setup, because that detent makes it really easy to manage the trim, even with the slower system in FB. I know that for the P39 (or most planes), perfect trim (IMO) at combat speeds is approximately 1/8" forward from neutral. As soon as I jump in the plane I just rotate the ANT knob to that position and forget about it. The trim may take a couple of seconds to get there, but when it does, I know it'll be perfect and exactly the same every single time.

I use the range knob on the top for rudder trim, and it's set up the same way as it is in most aircraft (horizontal dial/disc). Turn it to the right and you get right trim. Turn it left and you get left trim.

I hope this helps.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:13 PM
In the Piper Cherokee I fly the trim is electrically actuated by a switch on the yoke. You push the button forward and it trims the nose down and push back to trim the nose up. When that fails the trim wheel sits between the seats aft of the flaps lever. You manually turn the wheel which is about 8-10 inches in diameter. There is a lot of trimming when setting landing flaps to get rid of all the forward pressure on the yoke as the nose tries to go up with flap deployment.

Fun fun fun

Happy hunting and check six!

Tony Ascaso, RN

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks, all, for your answers, especially BinaryFalcon for your Cougar-specific suggestions. I too was planning to use the "Antenna" knob for Elev. Trim.

I guess I should ask an IL2/FB - specific follow-on question: When I am in the game's HOTAS menu to set the control, which direction should I turn the Antenna knob to get the desired result?

Thanks again

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 09:05 PM
SliderMark wrote:
- Thanks, all, for your answers, especially
- BinaryFalcon for your Cougar-specific suggestions. I
- too was planning to use the "Antenna" knob for Elev.
- Trim.
-
- I guess I should ask an IL2/FB - specific follow-on
- question: When I am in the game's HOTAS menu to set
- the control, which direction should I turn the
- Antenna knob to get the desired result?
-
- Thanks again
-

No problem, glad to help.

As far as direction to turn goes, give it a try. I think for the trim it doesn't really matter like it does for the throttle, but if it's backwards, just go back into setup and move it the other way.

That's how I did it, since I can never seem to remeber the "right" way. All trial and error. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Thamks, BiF. I'll give it a try, and see you in the Unfriendly Skies! (But not until I've figured how to keep the #$%%&@!! plane in the air!)

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 10:26 PM
I'm missing someone

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/a-z/kimura-hei/supergreghat_y.jpg

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/a-z/kimura-hei/sg_12.jpg

"Kimura, tu as une tĂÂȘte carrĂ©e comme un sale boche!"

EJGr.Ost Kimura

http://www.jagdgruppe-ost.de/image/ejgrost.gif

Message Edited on 09/02/0310:28PM by KIMURA

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 10:48 PM
I know I am sad too.... I believe there was previous post..something happened to his computer. But I think he may have been institutionalized again ... it happens!

Happy hunting and check six!

Tony Ascaso, RN

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 10:56 PM
On some WW2 aircraft it was a piece of metal on the control serface that you could adjust before flying.