PDA

View Full Version : What is best weapons convergence distance?

GunnyHighway99
09-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Everyone,

I've been fooling around with weapons convergence distances in the La7 and Spit IXe. I've been using 150m in the La7 and had a little success with 200m on the Spit IXe.

In the past, I've been firing from too far out (300m or more), but my results were sporadic. Then I remembered in Galland's book that he used to get to "ramming distance" before firing. This usually equates to 150m or less.

1) Do any of the old pros have any advice or insight?

2) Has anyone ever read anywhere what convergence distance aces like Hartmann, Rall and Robert Johnson used?

Thanks!!

berg417448
09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
In Hartman's case it didn't matter. He didn't open fire until he was closer than close.

"I opened fire when the whole windshield was black with the enemy . . . at minimum range . . . it doesn't matter what your angle is to him or whether you are in a turn or any other maneuver."

-- Colonel Erich Hartmann

Swivet
09-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Depends on the plane and your shooting style i'd think.....Nose mounted guns or wing mounted have diff ranges depending on cifguration of the guns. Some got 2 barrels, some 4.....I've always been a bit confused bout that.

Bearcat99
09-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Id say it depends on the pilot and his flying style and the armament of the plane. If you are particularly adept at deflection shooting then a longer convergence could work for you.. but if not then tighter would be better. Bud Anderson said he always got in "scary close" and some of the Tuskegee Airmen I spoke to said that they were often so close that they were worried about getting hit with debris from the target.

VW-IceFire
09-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I've tried 150 meter convergence and it really whacks the enemy up infront of you in a serious way. Even the .50cals will seriously wax someone with that sort of convergence.

My problem is that I never get that close or if I do its not for very long. I start getting hits at 400 meters and usually within 1-2 seconds of firing I've covered the whole distance and blew past the guy doing twice his speed. Between that and my random choice between flying fighter and bomber/attack missions means that I still have my convergence at 250/300 meters in order to have the best of both.

Again...depends on how you fly.

Taylortony
09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by GunnyHighway99:
Everyone,

I've been fooling around with weapons convergence distances in the La7 and Spit IXe. I've been using 150m in the La7 and had a little success with 200m on the Spit IXe.

In the past, I've been firing from too far out (300m or more), but my results were sporadic. Then I remembered in Galland's book that he used to get to "ramming distance" before firing. This usually equates to 150m or less.

1) Do any of the old pros have any advice or insight?

2) Has anyone ever read anywhere what convergence distance aces like Hartmann, Rall and Robert Johnson used?

Thanks!!

Set to what you think is a good setting, dive at a tree on the ground, when the tree is about the distance you would normally fire at an aircraft, let rip...... look at the spread around the tree then adjust to get a tight grouping........ easiest way I found of doing it.

rnzoli
09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
and now: the indispensable Range And Convergence training vide from Dart http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

http://www.darts-page.com/movies/Range_and_Convergence.zip

han freak solo
09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
As an offliner, I have to settle with 300 meters.

I like to shoot closer where I almost hit the other aircraft, but when coming in behind an AI fighter they sniff you out at 400-450 meters.

So, I split the difference on convergence.

SUPERAEREO
09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Personally I find that 200 metres is a good convergence distance, allowing hits up to 400 metres (with a bit of luck). But then again I am no ace nor shaarpshooter.

Enforcer572005
09-06-2007, 04:43 PM
I do 200 to. I try to have them fill most of the gunsight, but it's kinda hard to get that close sometimes.

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2007, 05:03 PM
The one and only convergence you should ever use is the one you get victories with. To heck with all the theory and ideas for why one convergence is 'correct' or 'historically accurate', or what any real or online aces used- your convergence should be the range at which you, personally, get strikes on the enemy sufficient to bring him down- not what works for anyone else

249th_Maico
09-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by SUPERAEREO:
Personally I find that 200 metres is a good convergence distance, allowing hits up to 400 metres (with a bit of luck). But then again I am no ace nor shaarpshooter.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I use 200 and it works great. After years of flying this sim, I recently turned the Icons back on. Using the short Icons I realized that I was allways firing at 100-150m max. I sometimes might squeeze a burst off from further but not often. I shortened my range to 200m. I beleive this is a great compromise. The first time I tried this in the Mustang, I shreded enemy aircraft to thier bones.

My question it this: How does convergance settings affect elevation of firing on aircraft equiped with only nose guns? P-38, 109, YP-80 ect. How do I get these guns to elevate? Is it possible?

T_O_A_D
09-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by 249th_Maico:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SUPERAEREO:

I use 200 and it works great. After years of flying this sim, I recently turned the Icons back on. Using the short Icons I realized that I was allways firing at 100-150m max. I sometimes might squeeze a burst off from further but not often. I shortened my range to 200m. I beleive this is a great compromise. The first time I tried this in the Mustang, I shreded enemy aircraft to thier bones.

My question it this: How does convergance settings affect elevation of firing on aircraft equiped with only nose guns? P-38, 109, YP-80 ect. How do I get these guns to elevate? Is it possible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nose guns,wing guns they both work the same way, the longer the convergence setting the higher they aim. They also merge, but it is alot less noticible, compared to wing guns.

I pesonaly use 183 on wing mounts, thats equivelent to 200 yards. I also like the 300 mark if I'm in a fast plane and ground strafing.

Nose guns I adjust them till they hit on the center of the piper, at my visual interpetation of the 200 yard mark.

Unless I know my main role is to attack Bombers then I stretch it out to 1000 just so I can reach out and tickle them safley out of the guuners range. Once I'm getting hits then move in taking out the gunners or from a safe angle.

piper_
09-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi,

This close

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/piper_frags/Sturmi/thisclose2.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/piper_frags/Sturmi/thisclose1.jpg

Regards: piper

DKoor
09-07-2007, 02:17 PM
150-350

major_setback
09-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I use 500m for all weapons.

I think it's a good idea to keep the distance consistant between different aircraft, so you get used too that convergence distance. The weapons vary anyway, and also the trajectory of different bullets/shells, so I like to keep at least convergensce to a known distance so as not to complicate things more than necessary.

500m is a perfect dstance for conversion for me: any object closer than that will usually be hit anyway, and objects at 500m often don't expect to be hit from that distance (which isn't actually that hard in the game if convergence is set to 500m).

249th_Maico
09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 249th_Maico:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SUPERAEREO:

My question it this: How does convergance settings affect elevation of firing on aircraft equiped with only nose guns? P-38, 109, YP-80 ect. How do I get these guns to elevate? Is it possible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nose guns,wing guns they both work the same way, the longer the convergence setting the higher they aim. They also merge, but it is alot less noticible, compared to wing guns.

I pesonaly use 183 on wing mounts, thats equivelent to 200 yards. I also like the 300 mark if I'm in a fast plane and ground strafing.

Nose guns I adjust them till they hit on the center of the piper, at my visual interpetation of the 200 yard mark.

Unless I know my main role is to attack Bombers then I stretch it out to 1000 just so I can reach out and tickle them safley out of the guuners range. Once I'm getting hits then move in taking out the gunners or from a safe angle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks T_O_A_D this is good stuff I can use. Setting the guns on these aircraft to 500m will then bring the aim way up in the gunsight. Now hopefully I dont have to bury the target under the nose so far. Of course I never fire at more than 200m. Impact velocity is modeled into IL2 and therefore hitting targets from far away only results in minor damage. Its much better to save your ammo untill you are close. Then there is the matter that I cant hit nothing with the Mk108 unless I am 50m away. I wind up killing myself a lot with this cannon http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif