PDA

View Full Version : OT, Terrifying

hueywolf123
09-17-2006, 03:39 PM
On Saturday, Mrs Hueywolf & myself were eating breakfast and reading the paper. All was peacfull until I found an article titled
'Monsters of the Deep'.No, it was not about sea creatures, but about freak waves.
Apparently, the GKSS in Germany has been conducting research on this and using satellite imaging, have given truth to the legend of 'The fist of God'. They discovered that when the wind swells created by two or more storms converge, they expend an enormous amount of energy, this energy travels until it meets something else, ie, another ocean, a continental shelf, a reef. Then it stands up, breaks, and becomes a wall of white water stretching for miles and sometimes more than 35m in height, (around 100' or more).
These freak waves deliver a force of more than 100psi, smashing anything in their path, until eventually all the energy is used up.
Basically, these are now thought to have been the reason behind alot of ships which have just vanished. Accounts from some merchant shipping crews have told of the bows of large tankers being stoved in by the force of these waves, of large ships being swamped, liners being almost flipped over - lenght wise. The real damage, other than the breaking wave, is that it forms a very deep & steep trough in front of the wave. The ship hits this, hurtles down into the trough, then pitches back up the face almost vertically. Smaller ships don't have the mass required to take this and topple backwards, large tankers and liners, stall trying to climb, medium ships puch into the face and in seconds are more than 20m deep.
Apart from the obvious scaremongering, this article did ring some truth. I wondered how many U-boats were accounted for in this way?
But this was certainly food for thought

Kaiser_W
09-17-2006, 03:59 PM
True true.

The poseidon adventure isn't all that far fetched.

TooFastForLove.
09-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Wouldn't however most larger ships be snapped in half by the force of such a wave? Tankers especially.

Josef_Reiter
09-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Im sure a U-boat could handle it better then any other type of vessel, assuming the hatches are closed.

hueywolf123
09-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Yes, but considering how silent these things are, on a foggy night, a little wind blowing. You'd never know what hit you. All I wondered was that the article stated Biscay and the North Sea as two hot spots for these, according to U-boat.net, quite a few boats vanished in these areas, a wave of that size - you crash dive, wouldn't take long to bounce off the bottom then get dragged back up and over. Honestly, this would be a matter of seconds. How many boats went that way?