PDA

View Full Version : wanted posters

sassinscreed
06-21-2011, 07:17 AM
can anyone explain why is almost every wanted poster placed on roofs and not streets? i mean who exept ezio and some guards walk the roofs i mean nobody can see all of those posters and posters exist for people to see the face of wanted man, and there are very few posters on streets anyone else thinks there should be more posters on streets and less on roofs it wouldn't make losing notoriety any easier just would make more sense

GunnarGunderson
06-21-2011, 07:27 AM
I don't think there were bounty hunters in 15th century Italy, I think the posters were for the guards

Blind2Society
06-21-2011, 08:20 AM
There has always been bounty hunters.

El_Sjietah
06-21-2011, 08:26 AM
If the posters were for the guards, there wouldn't be a bounty on them.

kriegerdesgottes
06-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Of course there were bounty hunters back then. I will agree that the posters are placed in ridiculous places and should probably be closer to the ground. Even if they were for guards, you wouldn't climb half way up a latter to post a wanted sign.

Blind2Society
06-21-2011, 08:36 AM
I think the reason they put some of the posters in rediculous places is because, if a gaurd sees you take one down they chase you. So they put some in places where guards won't see you take them down.

sassinscreed
06-21-2011, 09:07 AM
so if they don't see you taking it down that means they don't see poster so why is there poster on place where nobody can see it

Inorganic9_2
06-21-2011, 09:11 AM
OR the developers put them there just to make you do a bit of work to get to them.

an-assassin
06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:
OR the developers put them there just to make you do a bit of work to get to them.

this

kriegerdesgottes
06-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Inorganic9_2:

I don't mean to be a jerk but if that's true, that is really stupid. You can't take away from realism just to make the player do a little more work.

AMuppetMatt
06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
2 things with this

1. "The developers put them there just to make you do a bit of work to get to them."
This is obviously the reason, I'm pretty sure the devs didn't go scitz when putting them in random places.

2. The devs went COMPLETELY scitz with this idea. Yeah, we need to have a bit of a challenge in doing this, but seriously? There are posters where there are NO GUARDS, OR for whatever bright reason, are even in some areas where guards can't get to without free running. You don't see "LOST: Kitteh!" posters on the side of an office block do you... why they're where they are is completely beyond me. The point of posters is to get coverage. Other than those eagles that for some reason seem to be emotionally attached to view points who is going to see this poster?

At least at street level you need to distract the guards... and then all of a sudden Courtesans have a purpose in the game! Seeing as you basically never have to use them as you can mow people down, now you can't do that as it would cancel out any raised notoriety...

But we're not going to do that, we're just going to put them on the rooftops... you know... for the LOLs...

/rant http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

xx-pyro
06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Because it would tke 15 seconds to lose your notoriety if they were all on street level, lol. It's easy enough as it is, people find the most pathetic things to complain about.

El_Sjietah
06-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Posters shouldn't have been in the game, period.

"I just ripped off a poster, now the guard completely forgot about the triple homicide I just pulled."

darkghost1995
06-21-2011, 10:19 AM
It doesn't bother me as I play with full notoriety so I have to blend in with crowds and so the guards are actively searching for me.

brotherhood511
06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I thought the idea of notoriety was generated by normal citizens seeing wanted posters; a lot of people seeing one person's face makes them remember it and so will make Ezio more notorious. Instead its represented as a red bar that hangs in the top left hand corner.

Therefore, if you take them down the notoriety will decrease. So the fact that they are high above on ledges where citizens can't see them seems strange to me, that's my take on it. I've thought that since ACII.

AMuppetMatt
06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Maybe notoriety shouldn't have any effect on guards?
After all, you're fairly conspicuous compared to everyone else, maybe the guards should have a default awareness of you but it's the crowds awareness that changes... eg, the more notorious you are the shorter amount of time you can blend and walk in/with/around a crowd before they notice you and alert the guards. Then guard's awareness increases alongside this, or alternatively it remains at the default and only increases in "restricted" areas... just a thought, not very well thought out our considered... just throwing it out there really...

Blind2Society
06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Like many have said the entire notoriety system needs an overhaul. One issue I notice is, if I bump into a gaurd on the outskirts of rome, my notoriety increases instantly, everywhere. Same goes for ripping down posters. There were no cell phone backs then just riders and birds. Notoriety should start in the specific small area where a notorious act took place and spread gradually to other areas. The same should be true for decreasing notoriety.

Another thought. Back then, were messages and posters really spread all over the place? I would think things like that were generally placed where the public congregated such as churches, markets and the like.

DavisP92
06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
yea i agree with blind2society, it does need a overhaul. i always hated if i high profile kill someone on a rooftop i somehow get more notorious even though no one even saw me do it. Plus with the wanted posters, it would be interesting to see some bounty hunters coming after you if u are more notorious. be it from trained killers to random poor ppl that need money.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 08:49 AM
And I agree with you as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Gaining notoriety for killing someone on a rooftop? Kinda redic if you ask me. Also, the bounty hunter idea would be pretty cool. Definitely not the random poor people though. They already had them and they annoyed to no end. (drunks/beggars/musicians)

*cough cough* v troll v *cough*

NORTHBOERN1
06-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Because it's a game.

ProletariatPleb
06-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Hmm....You should notice that...the posters as shown in-game are hung by arrows...I suppose guards wouldn't be mad enough to shoot arrows with posters onto the streets and kill people by mistake...Maybe the devs wanted to show this?

El_Sjietah
06-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by sidspyker24:
Hmm....You should notice that...the posters as shown in-game are hung by arrows...I suppose guards wouldn't be mad enough to shoot arrows with posters onto the streets and kill people by mistake...Maybe the devs wanted to show this?
That's another thing. Why use arrows to pin them? A hamer and nails would be more practical, I think.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
Why use arrows to pin them? A hamer and nails would be more practical, I think.
Creative license and an artistic touch, in my opinion at least. Gives it a Robin Hood feel http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Oh, and energy conservation for the guards. This way they don't have to walk all over the place and climb up to all the rediculous spots to put the posters up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

ProletariatPleb
06-22-2011, 10:07 AM
1.It would be really impractical to run around the city with a hammer and nails, pinning posters...specially in Rome, lol(just saying, not that they were SHOWN puting them up)

2.Quick, efficient and guards don't need to learn parkour.

crash3
06-22-2011, 10:43 AM
i thinkosters are a terrible gameplay feature, notoriety needs to serious improvement

the honour system from RDR is better

El_Sjietah
06-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Blind2Society:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
Why use arrows to pin them? A hamer and nails would be more practical, I think.
Creative license and an artistic touch, in my opinion at least. Gives it a Robin Hood feel http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Oh, and energy conservation for the guards. This way they don't have to walk all over the place and climb up to all the rediculous spots to put the posters up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My post was under the assumption that posters up on rooftops are a silly idea to begin with, smarty pants http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I believe that Alexandre said something about the notoriety system being changed for Revelations in an interview.

But yeah, the game puts them in places that are interesting to get to.

And really, it's not like it would be improved by having to kill all guards before you rip it down since it's right next to an outpost.

Notoriety is not a very specific memory. Ezio saw posters a lot. So the animus throws them out anywhere.

sassinscreed
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
I believe that Alexandre said something about the notoriety system being changed for Revelations in an interview.

But yeah, the game puts them in places that are interesting to get to.

And really, it's not like it would be improved by having to kill all guards before you rip it down since it's right next to an outpost.

Notoriety is not a very specific memory. Ezio saw posters a lot. So the animus throws them out anywhere.

just don't explain things with animus because animus isn't real and this is game made by ubisoft, and posters are where ubisoft put them and not animus

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
@sassinscreed: I wil venture to say that Calvarok was suggesting an idea as to what the devs' logic was when placing them. He was not saying that the animus is real and it made the call.

Cal (you mind if I call you Cal?) brought up some valid points. I somewhat remember hearing something about noteritety in an interview but I could just be going crazy.

Though I would say

But yeah, the game puts them in places that are <STRIKE>interesting</STRIKE> tedious to get to.

Also it was quite annoying having to kill the guards just to tear down a poster. So that's a valid point (that I may have metioned earlier, I can't recall)

This is a strong posibility as well as to what, at least part, of the devs' thought process may have been.

DavisP92
06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
And I agree with you as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Gaining notoriety for killing someone on a rooftop? Kinda redic if you ask me. Also, the bounty hunter idea would be pretty cool. Definitely not the random poor people though. They already had them and they annoyed to no end. (drunks/beggars/musicians)

yea, although i could understand them adding the random attacking poor guy like the drunks. although i always avoided them, it would be funny think who would kill them or just leave them alone.

troll??

*cough cough* v troll v *cough*

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 06:38 PM
@sassinscreed: I wil venture to say that Calvarok was suggesting an idea as to what the devs' logic was when placing them. He was not saying that the animus is real and it made the call.

Cal (you mind if I call you Cal?) brought up some valid points. I somewhat remember hearing something about noteritety in an interview but I could just be going crazy.

Though I would say
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
But yeah, the game puts them in places that are <STRIKE>interesting</STRIKE> tedious to get to.

Also it was quite annoying having to kill the guards just to tear down a poster. So that's a valid point (that I may have metioned earlier, I can't recall)

This is a strong posibility as well as to what, at least part, of the devs' thought process may have been. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is it really that hard to climb up one building? I didn't find it that tedious, expecialy since you only need to get four. I agree that the system isn't very good, but I feel like the devs would have known how to make the posters only appear on ground level. But that's not really a challenge, and it as the same time can be too much of a challenge, since guards harass you for doing it.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Tedious and hard are not the same thing.

But that's not really a challenge, and it as the same time can be too much of a challenge,
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Tedious and hard are not the same thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:
But that's not really a challenge, and it as the same time can be too much of a challenge,
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not a challenge to get to, but it's a challenge to take down without being harrassed and getting even more notoriety.

Blind2Society
06-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Senario: I'm meandering thru the city at ground level heading to the bank to pick up some pesos and I decide I want to decrease my notoriety. I have to change course climb a building or two find out where the poster is and tear it down, then get back to where I was to continue my journey.

Tedious, not difficult nor challenging.

Then again it was also tedious to tear down that poster to get rid of that last bit of notoriety, only to have a nearby guard start following and pushing me. Once I get away, of course, that piece of notoriety is back. Also tedious.

dxsxhxcx
06-22-2011, 07:16 PM
also, what is the purpose of wanted posters in high places if the civilians/guards aren't able to see (some of) them?! At least the "symbolic" purpose of the wanted posters is to warn the unaware guards/civilians around the area that we have a bounty for our head and it's not like they'll start to climb buildings just to see these posters...

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
also, what is the purpose of wanted posters in high places if the civilians/guards aren't able to see (some of) them?! At least the "symbolic" purpose of the wanted posters is to warn the unaware guards/civilians around the area that we have a bounty for our head and it's not like they'll start to climb buildings just to see these posters...

It's like that for the same reason that Ezio can jump massive heights into a bale of hay without being damaged at all: Ezio remembers leaping into bales of hay and other things, from a reasonable height, many times. He never has a memory of getting hurt from jumping into one. So when he jumps off one from any height in the animus, the animus only knows the scenario where he's unharmed from jumping into it.

Just as he saw lots of posters, and they were on walls. so when given the ability to populate the world with them, randomly, the animus puts it there.

The first one is an advantage of the animus, the second is a glitch.

In real-world gameplay terms, the algorithim for where posters can be placed is probably as broad as: "on any (wall surface) that is near enough to a platform for the player to take it off."

I think that it's a kinda bad system, and would like notoriety to have a cooldown, and two layers. The first layer is where guards will notice you immediately if you mess around with people, or get too close to them. The second is where guards start noticing you as soon as you get within range of them.

The first should be harder to reduce, and bribing officials and killing guard captains should reduce either notoriety level by about 10 percent. Don't know what other actions you could preform, but when notoriety is in the second level, it should not decrease over time.

brotherhood511
06-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok
In real-world gameplay terms, the algorithim for where posters can be placed is probably as broad as: "on any (wall surface) that is near enough to a platform for the player to take it off."

I don't think its random. I saw a poster in the exact same place at least 5 times in one area of the game. It was never anywhere else in that specific area. I remember because I always checked there first when I had notoriety and sure enough, it was there. It's the place where the Nobleman was and the poster was always on ground level in between those columns.

ProletariatPleb
06-22-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by brotherhood511:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok

I don't think its random. I saw a poster in the exact same place at least 5 times in one area of the game. It was never anywhere else in that specific area. I remember because I always checked there first when I had notoriety and sure enough, it was there. It's the place where the Nobleman was and the poster was always on ground level in between those columns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that happens, like in one of the areas, I just removed a wanted poster and stood right there, then a patrol cameby and I killed em, the poster appeared in the same spot, that is behind me again. So that in no way appears random to me...

Calvarok
06-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by sidspyker24:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brotherhood511:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok

I don't think its random. I saw a poster in the exact same place at least 5 times in one area of the game. It was never anywhere else in that specific area. I remember because I always checked there first when I had notoriety and sure enough, it was there. It's the place where the Nobleman was and the poster was always on ground level in between those columns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that happens, like in one of the areas, I just removed a wanted poster and stood right there, then a patrol cameby and I killed em, the poster appeared in the same spot, that is behind me again. So that in no way appears random to me... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is random to some extent. Obviously I was oversimplifying the algorithm, but they would not go and purposefully put a space where one could appear on every wall and tower and stuff for all of rome. That would be madness.

Blind2Society
06-23-2011, 05:02 AM
The posters are in the same places every single time in every single playthrough. I guarantee it.

EmmaBemma
06-23-2011, 08:57 AM
I'd personally prefer it if posters were:
* Ground-level
* In busy areas with lots of guard-traffic
* Not as numerous - you'd actually have to look around a bit for them
Thus, you'd have to be aware of where the guards were and use blending or courtesans/thieves.As they are currently they are no challenge at all and therefore, pointless, IMO.

I agree with others the whole system needs an overhaul. Notoriety should only increase when other people, either citizens or guards, actually see you (and survive). And notoriety should have a more visible effect on how the guards (and public maybe?) react to you. At the moment I can sprint through a busy marketplace with 75% notoriety and guards won't even notice.