PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Help - Too hard to fly

T_Tachyon
03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi guys, I just got this great game and unfortunately I don't own a Joystick , so I'm limited to using the Keyboard.

My problem is with flying using those cursor keys. The aircraft seems to be a little too sensitive, and that makes it really hard to align myself on targets. I'm even having trouble shooting down bombers, and fighters are near impossible.... Is there any fix u have that reduces the sensitivity of the keyboard?

T_Tachyon
03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi guys, I just got this great game and unfortunately I don't own a Joystick , so I'm limited to using the Keyboard.

My problem is with flying using those cursor keys. The aircraft seems to be a little too sensitive, and that makes it really hard to align myself on targets. I'm even having trouble shooting down bombers, and fighters are near impossible.... Is there any fix u have that reduces the sensitivity of the keyboard?

horseback
03-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes-buy a joystick!

Honestly, the cruel truth is that the keyboard 'option' was part of the original game engine, but there is simply no way for a keyboard to simulate the accuracy of the combination of X/Y/Z plus the rudder axis inputs needed to 'fly' a prop driven airplane.

You can find a barebones model joystick for under $30 in most major computer electronics stores. If you really want to make the most of this game, get one.

cheers

horseback

ploughman
03-28-2007, 01:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by horseback:
Yes-buy a joystick!

Honestly, the cruel truth is that the keyboard 'option' was part of the original game engine, but there is simply no way for a keyboard to simulate the accuracy of the combination of X/Y/Z plus the rudder axis inputs needed to 'fly' a prop driven airplane.

You can find a barebones model joystick for under $30 in most major computer electronics stores. If you really want to make the most of this game, get one.

cheers

horseback </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

The game may cost $30, but the machine you need for it costs $1,000s and the peripherals cost $100s. Get used to spending a bit of rocket.

Don't buy a Trust stick though, they suck. Saitek make good sticks and not all of them are expensive. I'm particularily fond of my Rumble Force, a bit of vaseline on the centering mechanism and she's sweet as a nut.

Zonama
03-28-2007, 01:50 PM
A good, cheap, joystick. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-PS33-AV8R-Retro-Joystick/dp/B000I62PEK/ref=sr_1_2/202-3590142-6370211?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1175111249&sr=1-2)

Another, probably worse joystick (have owned both) (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004VUFH.01._PE48_.Logitech-Wingman-Force-3D._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg)

VW-IceFire
03-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Don't get a Logitech joystick...a cheaper Saitek is just fine. The AV8TR has received decent reviews ...especially for the price.

There is no way to make a keyboard good at a flying game. It sucks for that kind of interaction.

Xiolablu3
03-28-2007, 04:18 PM
I used to use the keyboard before I had a joystcik.

The only way to get a 'partial' turn for example, is to keep tapping the key.

Faster tap will turn sharper without spinning out, slower will turn less hard.

I wore some of the keys on my keyboard out in the month before I bought a joystick!

Obviously its nothing like having a joytick (even a cheap Saitek stick would be better than keyboard) but try it. I played online for a few weeks using keyboard only and used to get quite good scores on 334th server. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bearcat99
03-28-2007, 04:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T_Tachyon:
Hi guys, I just got this great game and unfortunately I don't own a Joystick.......
Is there any fix u have that reduces the sensitivity of the keyboard? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What horseback said.... buy a joystick (http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/recprod.html). There is no way around it.
Some may argue the point... but this is more simulator than game.... If you are in the U.S. (I don't know what their shipping policies are outside the U.S.) hit the link that I posted for some good choices at decent prices.

Con sider dropping at least $50-$100 for a stick..... thats one reason why I suggest the above site. The X-52 stick retails for over $100, the reconned is $70. Or you could go less expensive... Make sure it has rudder control. Stay away from the Logitechs.

BrotherVoodoo
03-28-2007, 05:42 PM
A joystick is a god given right for flight simmers. Get a joystick sir, you will never regret it. Even if it is a 20$ special...
Man I can't even imaging flying with a keyboard.

Zeus-cat
03-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm jumping in only to agree with everyone that says you need a joystick. While theoretically possible to play without one, it simply isn't worth the bother.

T_Tachyon
03-28-2007, 08:16 PM
First of all, thanks for your valuable input, looks like I DO need a Joystick. But unfortunately, my budget is kind of limited and I can't go for those higher end models that some of you guys recommended.

And since I live in India, the import duty taxes force those distributors to overprice the Joysticks a bit.

It appears that most of you have recommended anything but a Logitech , and from my initial enquiries the Logitech appears to be the cheapest (and also has a similar "FUBAR" reputation here).

So, what joystick would be best in the 30$-60$ category??

On a side note, can someone please tell me if this Joystick is any good (yeah It's Logitech, but still...) Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

It seems to be reasonably better than some of those other Logitechs.

horseback
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
A Logitech stick is usually pretty good at first. In terms of ergonomics and features, I've always thought they were kind of sexy (the Freedom 2.4 was particularly seductive, IMO). What most of us have found, however, is that they go bad rather quickly, like milk on a hot day.

There are those heretics who say that if you get the correct calibrating software they're just as good as any other stick out there. Even these suggest that you get the retailer's replacement warranty, though.

If that is not available in your neck of the woods, I would skip the Logitech and look under every nook and cranny to find a Saitek or if you are particularly fortunate, a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro or Pro 2 with a USB type connector (these are rare as hen's teeth, but if one is going to wish, wish big).

cheers

horseback

Treetop64
03-28-2007, 08:38 PM
The "option" to fly this sim using only the keyboard is a bit of a cruel joke, really.