PDA

View Full Version : Will BOB be pay to play online? if so, will you pay?

USAflyer
01-03-2005, 01:12 PM
?

Capt._Tenneal
01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
No. I'm not a pay-for-play online player, especially if they're talking monthly fee. I don't even play MMORPG's (especially if they're PFP) even though I'm an RPG fan also. I really hope BOB doesn't go that route.

Bearcat99
01-03-2005, 01:39 PM
I dont think so and I will never pay more than I already pay my ISP to do anything online except shop.

LStarosta
01-03-2005, 01:52 PM
I hope not. I agree with Bearcat. Since I already pay top dollar for a very high speed and high bandwidth connection, I would much rather "alter" the game so I could host my own server for a few friends and I. I don't think it would be "piracy", because I already paid for the product and it's not like I'm using Ubi's bandwidth and not paying for it; I am using my own bandwidth. I already pay over 50 dollars a month for internet, and money doesn't grow on trees. The worst Ubi could do is sue me for reverse engineering. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-03-2005, 01:56 PM
What Capt._Tenneal & Bearcat99 said. No matter how much I have enjoyed Oleg`s sims there`s no way I`d partake in pay to play. To PAY to play for something I`ve already bought as well as paying just to be online...

An online businessman`s dream.

When I used to be part of a Mechwarrior Squad online, some of the crew decided they`d join an online monthly subscription virtual Mech world. It split the crew in half. Even though I really enjoyed been part of a team (very similar to IL2 Squadrons), I dropped it. I wonder if that online Mech thing is still going?

Thankfully, Oleg would not be dumb enough to implement that - be sure.

Dammerung
01-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Because of Mechwarrior 4, the series has gone in the pooper. Medium lasers won't even scratch paint http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

It's a real shame.

TheGozr
01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
no

JG7_Rall
01-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Depends on the cost and how much I enjoy the game. If I get obsessed with it and the price is reasonable, I'd probably go for it. It'd be sweet to have a reliable server with tons and tons of ppl playing in it all the time. We have servers like that already for il2 but they're limited in some regards. Oh well, if its outrageous I wouldn't go for it, but if its reasonable and I think its worth to keep paying for better gameplay, I'd do it.

Obi_Kwiet
01-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Or course not. P2P games are only games where you connect to a server that is maintained by the company you pay.

HW3
01-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Never have, never will.

Troll2k
01-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Ubi can not even maintain a search function.You expect a well running mmorpg game.

I assume you meant Oleg's BoB and not the new remake of Rowan's BoB.

knightflyte
01-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I've got a friend who plays City of Heros. There's no playing that offline. $14.95 per month...Tho they offer a prepay deal of $12.95.

I've got 56k, but will upgrade in the near future. I'd REALLY REALLY have to give it serious thought if I were to pay to play. I love IL2... but I don't play online very often because of 56k. I would play more on 56k if I thought I wasn't ruining it for someone else. But the price of DSL PLUS the subsription price to play......probably NOT.

regards,
Robert

StG77_Fritz_X
01-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Nope.

Atomic_Marten
01-03-2005, 08:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I dont think so and I will never pay more than I already pay my ISP to do anything online except shop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

rjb1fgc
01-03-2005, 08:15 PM
What Bearcat99 said.

WTE_Dukayn
01-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Obi Kwiet knows the score. I see no reason BoB would be pay to play. The reason MMORPGs etc are pay to play is because the servers are maintained by the company (Sony Online Entertainment for example with Star Wars Galaxies) and are usually up 95% of the day. It's also a persistent world, meaning if you leave in a room you come back in the same room.

I very much doubt BoB will have this functionality in it. Therefore I seriously doubt it will be pay to play. There's no reason for it.

DmdSeeker
01-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Sure I would.

I love IL-2 for it's imersion; but on-line I fly Aces high mostly.

Generaly; Aces High would be what you guys would call a dogfight server; and to be honest I'm slowly learning that a good IL-2 server such as Warclouds can pretty much match it; but I haven't yet seen anything in IL-2 to match a full blown Scenario; a Historicaly based recreation running over serveral weeks with several hundred people.

madsarmy
01-04-2005, 02:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I dont think so and I will never pay more than I already pay my ISP to do anything online except shop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sentiments exactly Bearcat

BlitzPig_Frat
01-04-2005, 03:58 AM
Not no, but hell no. P2P would be the death of combat flight sims as we know it. Disecting a small specialized community even further with P2P would be the end.

_Neveraine_
01-04-2005, 04:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Or course not. P2P games are only games where you connect to a server that is maintained by the company you pay. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, All Il-2 servers are run by the public it 's likely to be the same way with BoB.

trumper
01-04-2005, 04:14 AM
I would'nt pay to play BUT i have heard rumours that the internet bods are taking notice of how many people are using the internet for for playing games,the charge may come from them if they can make some dosh http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-04-2005, 06:29 AM
No.

I would certainly buy the game, but play would be limited to offline campaigns and such. I'd just go play FB+PF online. it's still got untapped potential for me.

TB

MOH_SKID.
01-04-2005, 08:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlitzPig_Frat:
Not no, but hell no. P2P would be the death of combat flight sims as we know it. Disecting a small specialized community even further with P2P would be the end. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

P2P combat flight sims have been around for ages. Ever hear of Air Warrior? It ran on DOS! And there is still Aces High and Warbirds. So saying that it would be the "death" of combat flight sims is a bit melodramatic.

I'd pay a monthly fee for a massively multiplayer persistent world combat flightsim server. I have before... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

S~
Skid

J_Weaver
01-04-2005, 09:44 AM
No way...I'm not going to pay 40$ or 50$ for a game and then turn around and pay a fee to play it online. But I'm not an online player anyway. I've been around since the 1st Il2 and have never been online. I'm also cheap http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Aaron_GT
01-04-2005, 11:03 AM
It would be good if it is possible to play online without paying (set up your own servers) but I'd be prepared to pay in the 5-7.50 range (circa US$9-12 at current exchange rates) for a well run server with goo d stutter free bandwidth running a persistent massively multiplayer server and/or massively multiplayer scenarious. To cope with a large number of players you really need multiple servers and some of the cell-based load-balancing technology is subject to patents so there would be additional costs with respect to running it.

That being said a good 64-player coop server and a strategy engine to plug combat results in would cover things for most people.

fherathras
01-04-2005, 11:13 AM
NO!

I`m only going to buy the darn game once!

many games have lost my interest and money because of this, and if Oleg/Ubi/1c/whoever, desides that i first have to pay for the game in the store, and THEN i have to pay AGAIN to be allowed to play it! i will sertanly not buy the game, I belive many of you agree. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

JG52_wunsch
01-04-2005, 11:51 AM
negative...srry i don t play alot online,but if i had to pay,i never would.my 2 cents.

LeadSpitter_
01-04-2005, 02:35 PM
absolutely not.

crazyivan1970
01-04-2005, 04:29 PM
I rather host my own http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hunter82
01-04-2005, 05:27 PM
no I have never used a pay to play service and I will never.

I purchase software to use at my discretion. If UBI/1C ever did that I would pack my bags and move elsewhere...simple enough for me.

-HH- Beebop
01-04-2005, 06:15 PM
No I would not. As it is I mostly play online with my squadmates via direct connect. As long as this function is included I see no reason to pay for a server. I can do it myself.

I suspect that the online aspect will be similar to what FB/AEP/PF has now.

Stiglr
01-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Much as these pennypinching guys chime in, there are successful P2P games, past and future. This genre got a big boost from AirWarrior, Warbirds, and sims of that nature before the boxed sims even got to a quality level enough to rival them. And back then, you'd pay the ungodly sum of $2 per hour to fly!!! Nowadays it's under $15 for a month for most of these sims, and they all offer more than the old expensive games did.

If the product is good enough, and has something to recommend it, people will pay a subscription fee. I bet these same guys pay a monthly fee for cable TV, another form of entertainment.

When you look at it, it's not that "expensive", and, if you knew the fees were going to a developer, who then turned around and kept adding more to the game, rather than a publisher who effectively adds nothing but layers of bureauacracy... wouldn't you rather support that?

MuerteColorado
01-04-2005, 06:50 PM
only morons would pay to play online. online is FREE. theres too much competition in games to buy a game you pay for.

who would pay for a game similar to F.B. when we already have fb for free? if someone made F.B. pay to play i wouldnt doubt microsoft would try to put together a new combatflight sim 4 that might actually work to take all the business.

so no i would never pay to play. there is no need. its like WW2 ONLINE. why pay for that when i have Call of duty and medal of honor and soon to be released brothers in arms???

its a small enough market now with ww2 flight sims. make it pay to play and most people would stop playing the game completely. its a great way to kill online flying.

Hunter82
01-04-2005, 06:53 PM
Nope wouldn't pay it. The money would never go to the developer as most are contract based. And yes I would think 15 per month would be too expensive to play on some cheesy server admined by a publisher/developer....

I'll choose my own scenerio, host if I choose to, create whatever I want as a playing field and love life.

christ UBI can't even host 3 servers and their game service is ****....would you pay to play on that? I won't even play there for free.

Hunter82
01-04-2005, 06:54 PM
ohh and that would basically increase my internet fees an additional 15 per month if I'm not paying enough as it is. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

LEXX_Luthor
01-04-2005, 07:08 PM
All depends on what the product is, and is not.

Stiglr is right, if its Good we will Pay, just like we Pay for anything else. The "Good" part is important though, and it would be no more than buying a low end video card every year.

Paying may filter out those who fly at altitudes where diving isn't an option. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Stiglr
01-04-2005, 07:42 PM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Paying may filter out those who fly at altitudes where diving isn't an option <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to say, Lex, that's not likely to happen.

There are as many bottomfeeding idiots flying pay servers as there are in free ones. But hey, them's good eating, provided the sim doesn't go out of its way to unnaturally camoflage them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ZG77_Lignite
01-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Interestingly enough I was just reading an article about a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) breaking out of the monthly fee mold. The Article claims an 'all new paradigm' of offering free MMO play with the purchase of the game, of course it will be necessary to purchase the Expansion Packs to remain up-to-date, and this is of course how the publisher makes his money. I thought it funny, as this is essentially the road Oleg is currently on too, apparently (hopefully) it is working. Perhaps we will see a larger shift in this direction.

Personally, I require the offline content as well.

MuerteColorado
01-04-2005, 08:44 PM
lignite wins "POST OF THE DAY AWARD"

congrats great post and that with 3 dollars will get you a grande cappucino at starbucks.

carguy_
01-05-2005, 03:11 AM
The fees are all payed by my family so I don`t think I would pay to play.Paying for internet and adding fee to be able to play online is silly for me.

But if I had my own monthly income I guess I would but if I pay I require.

A virtual online war with no lags,stutters or excessive waiting at least.

Scenarios would have to be well thought and if I go out of the scenario I go in another in about 5 minutes.

No show,no go.

Lukki
01-05-2005, 03:26 AM
I'd go for a good mmorpg instead. Like World of Warcraft or something. But I'm not going to pay because young people don't have money. The only people who really can pay to play are like 30+ or something I think....

WOLFMondo
01-05-2005, 03:51 AM
I've paid my way to play DOAC etc since I was 20http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Now im approaching 30 i've got less motivation to pay to play despite having the cash to do it.

Unless Ubi had online airwars like WWII online etc why would it be pay to play?