PDA

View Full Version : Nothing is true Everything is permitted???

GameFreak65
11-23-2011, 10:54 AM
What the hell does that mean

persiateddy95
11-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Let Al Mualim teach you, my son.

LightRey
11-23-2011, 10:59 AM
You might wanna play the games and read/listen to the various explanations provided by Desmond, Alta´r, Ezio and many more.

GameFreak65
11-23-2011, 11:16 AM
gys i have played all the games expt ACR (waiting for pc realese) and havnt undersdant what it means so tell me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LightRey
11-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Here (http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/The_Creed). Read the entire page and you should understand (sort-of).

assassinato_862
11-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Ezio: Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

Sofia: That is rather cynical.

Ezio: It would be if it were doctrine. But it is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

LordWolv
11-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by assassinato_862:

Ezio: It would be if it were doctrine. But it is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.
I was about to post that! Beat me to it. But yes, it's the shortest and most effective explanation.

LightRey
11-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by assassinato_862:

Indeed. Well quoted.

ProdiGurl
11-23-2011, 11:41 AM
In ACB, there's an area where they recite the entire Creed - that's just the shortened version. Without context, it makes it so vague, it could be anything.

In the context of the entire creed statement, it's about what restricts others from .... essentially taking care of evil in this world, nothing hinders the Assassins from doing what they feel they need to do to better the world/ rid the world of people who do harm.

assassinato_862
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
I was about to post that! Beat me to it. But yes, it's the shortest and most effective explanation.

ninja'd!

S-EVANS
11-23-2011, 04:23 PM
In my world it simply means that when im told im not allowed up here, its not true and everything is permitted so i kill him for telling lies...

orionsrise
11-23-2011, 05:29 PM
The saying is just an introduction to a different thought process, much like if a tree falls in a forest does it make a sound. The original Assassin's oreder was founded as an esthetic movement and the main point of esthetic orders is contemplation among it's members. So by the utterence of the creed the members can put themselvs into a kind of quiet readyness for the spirtual journey they would embark on. Side note the creed is still a powerful piece of philosophy, it ranks with such thoughts as god is dead and all I have learned is that I know nothing. One is Nieche, and the other eludes me atm. Hope that helps.

TheTruth3402
11-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Religion, morality, laws- none of these things are absolute.They are merely tools to guide and sometimes scare those who would not otherwise be able to guide themselves.

To adopt the position that nothing is true and everything is permitted is to realize that the only authority that holds these things up are the people that follow them! They are by no means divinely ordained.

Those who follow the creed must instead conform to a code of ethics that appeals to them individually while accepting absolute responsibility for their actions. A Christian who has done wrong may feel relieved after saying 3 Hail Marys, but the same is not true for a follower of these teachings. In this case, it is the duty of the individual to find their own way of making peace -- and if they do not feel they have done wrong, no one can rightfully tell them otherwise!

So there is a responsibility to oneself, but there is also a responsibility to the whole. To understand the fact that we are free from restrictive moralities is to be a leader, by default. You become a follower of your own path.

Assassin's Creed also teaches that the creed that the enlightened person adopts has the great potential to be influential on others so one must always consider the greater good.

Agentbarto
11-23-2011, 07:17 PM
This should also help. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/1881078069)