PDA

View Full Version : ? On Changing Video Drivers

GSNei
11-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Hey all - I'm still using the "stock" driver that came with my 9800 dated 4/03. I want to upgrade to the Catalyst 4.11. I've read here before that you should delete the old driver, the old control panel, re-boot and istall the new software. I went to the ATI site and their current intallation instructions say nothing about deleting old drivers/contol panel before installing the new ones. What do you guys think?

jensenpark
11-27-2004, 04:07 PM
I followed their web site and buggered up my computer and drivers.

Ended up bringing it to a knowledgable friend of mine who did exactly what you suggested.

Delete old, etc

Now it runs properly now.

Now, I'm in no way anything but a passable novice with drivers, computers, etc...but I thought I'd pass on my experience.

steve_v
11-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Heres a tried and true method for a clean install.

If on dsl or broadband, disconnect.

Control Panel-add/remove programs-ATI Software uninstall Utility-click change/remove - DO NOT REBOOT

Delete the ATI folders from HD
- C:\ATI

Using ctrl + alt + del shut down any ATI services.

Open regedit and delete these strings.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ati2mtag

All sub entries in this folder delete
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video

All sub entries in this folder delete
- HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\VIDEO

Reboot

Let windows install a default vga adapter by hitting cancel at Hardware Wizard/video controller. (Twice)

Install new Cat: Reboot (If you are using the 20mb d/l install, Reboot after completed.)

Install control panel: Reboot

Reinstall monitor driver if not using Windows version. Reboot.

If on dsl or broadband, reconnect.

bird_brain
11-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks steve_v, I was about to update my drivers as well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

GSNei
11-27-2004, 05:02 PM
OK - Thanks seems like deleting the old is the way to go.