PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft specs don't always mean much in this game.

mortoma
12-08-2007, 10:43 AM
I just flew the Iwo Jima offline campaign in the N1K2-JA and after I got done, decided to try it in the KI-100. Looking at Hardball's or Compare, you'd think I had an extreme advantage in the N1K2, since it's specs beats the pants off of the KI.

I'm not finding it to be the case at all. Having the same success in the significantly slower plane. Both handle well but the extra speed of the N1K2 was not an advantage because it's slow acceleration meant that I rarely got up to top speed to realize any advantage in a fighting situation.

Since the Corsairs I encounter are fast enough to outdistance the N1 easily, it does not seem to matter that it outruns the KI even more easily. If you get out run, you get outrun, plain and simple. The degree by which you get outrun is irrelevant in the long run. So the type and style of fight is what really counts and speedier fighters do not always mean more success. It's amazing how after flying this game for almost 6 years that I still learn stuff like that.

Maybe I should have put this in the Pacific Fighters forum? Oh well, I didn't.

leitmotiv
12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Hell, man, one of the top German aces flying a 109F was killed by a I-153 when he took his opponent for granted. It's the person and the machine.

mortoma
12-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean there but I'm talking strictly about aircraft performance comparisons from one aircraft to another. Not pilot skill or overconfidence.