PDA

View Full Version : Any Amount of 20MM?

Rocky_985
09-26-2005, 08:43 AM
If you have wounded a target with your last fish, is there any amount of 20MM you can use on it to finish it off? I have used up several hundred rounds with cargo exploding and small fires igniting but have given up. This is, of course after all of my 88s are gone(except SS). Question is, should I have kept pumping away or am I just pissing in the wind? Oh ya, what about those star shells? Are they effective explosives?

W.Irving
09-26-2005, 09:05 AM
I once used up all my FLAK rounds on a small merchant. When I was finished, it was a burning hulk - all the cargo on deck was gone, the bridge was badly shot up, funnel and masts missing..
When the bridge is destroyed, the ship just coasts to a halt.
Think I must've spent around 2-300 rounds on the waterline, but it didn't seem to take on any water at all.

Star shells are a bit better, but it still takes a lot of them to do any real damage.

Maj_Solo
09-26-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't know for sure but I think star shells make damage, about 0.01 of a normal HE shell. You can make a small merchant sink with them but only if one single HE shell was what was left to sink it, I know this since a small cargo that starts to list sinks within no more than 5 minutes. Actually I never seen it take 5 minutes, lets say 2 minutes instead. And if it is still floating and not listing and you use up all your remaining SS on it and it does sink then there is at least a wild chance SS actually make damage, the developers may giggle all they want, it is difficult to be sure about these fine details. So maybe your 20mm AP round makes 0.00001 damage then.

I used time acceleration and used all AP on a burning T2 tanker and it sank. But then on the other hand I have many times waited for a T2 to sink and many times it has not and a few times it actually took up to 20 - 30 minutes for it to sink on it's own. So that time I can not tell if the ship sank cause of 20mm AP or if it sank on its own, but I guess it sank on it's own.

So, the question then ..... if the sim model all weapons in a .... fair way .... then maybe you can sink a fishing boat with 20mm AP .... can we do that?

Rocky_985
09-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Just took on a tug with SS ammo.Fired several rounds at point blank range before jumping on the 20MM. put about a hundred rounds in while my 88 crew pumped into two more rounds. Then, she blew up! Don't know if it was the 88 star shells or the AA or both.

Gunnersman
09-27-2005, 06:15 PM
I once ran out of HE and AP for the 88 and resorted to star shells. (This was before I installed RuB1.43) They finally got the job done. But it took a while.

Kaleun1961
09-27-2005, 06:23 PM
You can sink boats up to the size of tug boat with 20mm AA gun only. I've done this numerous times so I know that this is correct. Anything larger than a tub boat and I've never managed it with the 20mm AA. I've heard that the 37mm AA gun is more lethal, but I have very little experience with that one and can't say with any certainty what size of vessel it will sink.

Gunnersman
09-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Actually I have sunk many an Elco boat with the twin 37mm quite easily. The 37mm does seem to make quick work of any small boat.

patboot
09-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
You can sink boats up to the size of tug boat with 20mm AA gun only. I've done this numerous times so I know that this is correct. Anything larger than a tub boat and I've never managed it with the 20mm AA. I've heard that the 37mm AA gun is more lethal, but I have very little experience with that one and can't say with any certainty what size of vessel it will sink.

Up to a Coastal, in my experience. Also Elco PT's from 1,000m.

Kaleun1961
09-27-2005, 08:58 PM
How many rounds to take out a coastal?

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Alot. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

XDRHicks
09-28-2005, 08:03 AM
no 1 use for flak (besides aircraft)

Elco Boats....takes 50 rounds to kill em all