PDA

View Full Version : phantom ships on my map

Bonesattack
11-27-2006, 04:10 AM
hello all!

in 100% realism, I can see ships on my map & as soon as I zoom in they dissappear?... I've even tried sneaking up on them from behind & as soon as I get close (3000m) they dissappear! aaargh!

what am i doing wrong?

Bonesattack

Bonesattack
11-27-2006, 04:10 AM
hello all!

in 100% realism, I can see ships on my map & as soon as I zoom in they dissappear?... I've even tried sneaking up on them from behind & as soon as I get close (3000m) they dissappear! aaargh!

what am i doing wrong?

Bonesattack

Gmuno
11-27-2006, 05:29 AM
You're playing at 100%, this means that when a ship blobs up at the map, it's the ships actual position at this moment. You have to plot an interception-course for this ship. You do this by taking the targets course and speed and relate those to the distance to your sub. It's no more then a simple matter of geometry.

Goose_Green
11-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Not only geometry, but timing too. You need to take into account the targets speed and course relative to your speed and course to plot the correct interception point - preferbly you want to reach that point first so you can set yourself up with the perfect ambush position.

There is a formula for interception that actually works but I can't remember where to find it, maybe someone here maybe able to reveal it here.

Also, I think it's the automatic map update and realistic sensors items in the realism section that affects this. Turn them off and will receive far more updated map plots of merhcants and naval vessels.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Goose_Green/sig1copy.jpg

Jose.MaC
11-27-2006, 05:48 AM
And remember, the position gaven by BDU is just a rought aproximation. So is normal that you cannot see the actual ship when zooming.

The same for convoy info: you get the icon of the convoy, with a rough aproximation for its course and speed.

So the best thing you can do is to plot a line from the center or close to the center of the icon in its general direction, and draw some concentric circles with the distance it can travel in an hour or so (remember: slow is up to 5 knots, medium is up to 10 knots and fast is 15 knots or better). In this fashion, you can do the same from your sub to get an interception course optimized for a given speed: in the place where the circles intersect, you've the intercept point. Get course for this point, and set the given speed. Most times, you'll be rewarded by your watch crew spoting enemy ships.

Bonesattack
11-28-2006, 03:52 AM
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/dominicobaggio/interception3.html

Thanks Jose.Mac, Goose Green & Gmuno for the help.

I also visited the above site for more help......I did however sink three destroyers at Scapa!....now to start sinking the bigger stuff.