PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista RC1

crazyivan1970
09-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Anyone is trying this baby out? I donwloaded and installed 32 bit version tonight... It`s a bit of a hassle, just like any beta i guess...

First impressions:

It`s pretty
Has alot of options and new features, but still, alot like XP
Getting any software on it is a real pain
It`s a pretty bad resource hog... 900 something MB of RAM used with only AV running hehe...
Too early to tell, i only messed with it for few hours... maybe someone else has more time with it and willing to share?

p.s. IL2 will not install on it...but if you have it backed up on secondary drive or DVD (meaning already installed IL2FB) it runs, but only in directX. Couldnt get it to work on OGL...slide show and mouse is barerly moving too

Treetop64
09-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Saw a beta version of Vista in our IT department at my former place of empolyment a few months back. The new 3D desktop and interface are indeed pretty - and quite functional - but, as you mentioned, a bit of a resource hog. MS still has some code optimizations and memory allocation to iron out, but it's looking good. There's an option to use a less demanding 2D interface for those with more humble setups.

I'm lookin' forward to it.

F19_Orheim
09-08-2006, 01:02 AM
if IL2 wont run, I cant see vista on my comp anytime soon...

BiscuitKnight
09-08-2006, 01:11 AM
I will only grudgingly move from XP to Vista unless its RAM requirement plummets.

Treetop64
09-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by BiscuitKnight:
I will only grudgingly move from XP to Vista unless its RAM requirement plummets.

I think you can count on the RAM requirements escalating, not the other way around. However, you can also count on the RAM support to increase as well.

R_Target
09-08-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by BiscuitKnight:

Ditto on that one. I stopped following Vista a while back when they started stripping out all the "new" features. Is it supposed to do anything better than XP besides gobble up RAM for the Aero desktop?

Capt.LoneRanger
09-08-2006, 02:02 AM
From what I heared and read on other forums, there is a hughe increase in performance with DX9-Games. I didn't have a chance to confirm that, though.

Maybe I'll give it a try next week.

BBB_Hyperion
09-08-2006, 02:04 AM
Is there a compatibility mode for XP ?

BBB_Hyperion
09-08-2006, 02:06 AM
For open gl maybe it uses the opengl interface from M$ without using hardware acceleration etc.

F19_Orheim
09-08-2006, 06:32 AM
well i heard about support for Open GL somewhere

BiscuitKnight
09-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
I think you can count on the RAM requirements escalating, not the other way around. However, you can also count on the RAM support to increase as well.

Right now, running firefox, MP10 and a few other small apps, I'm using 300MB RAM, I think. Vista uses 512MB without anything running.

F6_Ace
09-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Hmm.... Let me see.....

Linux+XGL = Greater stabilty, security and same eye candy as Vista without the RAM usage.

I wonder what will use less resource/be faster...Vista running a game or Linux running a compatibility layer running XP running a game?

han freak solo
09-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Anyone here try out MS Office Pro 2007 beta?

I downloaded it two weeks back, but didn't install it because it mentioned in the EULA that it would "self destruct" in February 2007.

AFJ_rsm
09-08-2006, 07:20 AM
ya im running office 2007 pro beta

it's purty. and it has some useful little features. I'd recommend giving it a go (some people are having a very hard time getting used to the new interface. I find it a quite natural change on MS word which is the program i use the most).

But I wouldn't give it a shot unless it was a spare PC and you didnt have any important work related stuff on it. I intalled it on my PC before my semester started and am now using it for my school stuff, and I've grown to trust it. Not a single error so far and performace is good. (only hassle is i always have to make sure to save stuff in the *old* format as there's a new default format .docx .xlsx, etc)

AFJ_rsm
09-08-2006, 07:22 AM
o btw

you're all gonna upgrade to windows vista. how i know?

directx 10.

LEBillfish
09-08-2006, 07:29 AM
I couldn't stand Windows 3.1 and up until XP, still if having the option using dos. XP though I thought was a gigantic leap, YET more because it seemed "simplified & more accessible" then previous versions. However, I'm a PC ignoramus, so since XP works for me will not go through the hassle of trying a beta O.S..........Beta browser?...ok, that's an easy transfer and set up. The O.S. though would just be too much for my wittle bwain.

Yet if Vista does for XP what it did for ME/2000/98......I'll be switching. Simplistic accessibility for me to work with it though the key (administrator type work).....If it makes it more complex though or too automatic, then will hold out as long as possible.......Yet for me is all to be seen.

LStarosta
09-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by han freak solo:
Anyone here try out MS Office Pro 2007 beta?

I downloaded it two weeks back, but didn't install it because it mentioned in the EULA that it would "self destruct" in February 2007.

Didn't you feel like quite the secret agent?

han freak solo
09-08-2006, 09:51 AM
I am a secret agent.

The geese are in the field. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

The geese are in the field. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

x6BL_Brando
09-08-2006, 10:05 AM

Great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I'd better get on to the Diability Pensions Board and tell 'em I need a raise!

More RAM - a board to carry it - an upgraded PSU to run it - and a graphics card to support DX10 - oh, and almost forgot, a copy of Vista. I'm going deaf just thinking of all those cash registers snapping shut on our hard-earned.......

Just my $2000 worth http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

B.

Aaron_GT
09-08-2006, 10:47 AM
I wonder what will use less resource/be faster...Vista running a game or Linux running a compatibility layer running XP running a game?

If you have an Nvidia card then with Cedega some games run faster under Linux. Of course many games do not run at all, and nice toys like TrackIR don't either (unless someone has it running under ndiswrapper?).

If people wrote all their guis in something portable, e.g. Java or Gtk, a compatibility wrapper for threads and sockets, and OpenGL and SDL it wouldn't be hard to produce Mac, Solaris, BSD or Linux versions of game executables from pretty much the same set of source doe and then add them onto game disks as an extra without any warranty of the thing actually running.

(Producing versions with everything tested for a million and one different versions of Linux would be practically impossible, though).

fordfan25
09-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think you can count on the RAM requirements escalating, not the other way around. However, you can also count on the RAM support to increase as well.

Great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I'd better get on to the Diability Pensions Board and tell 'em I need a raise!

More RAM - a board to carry it - an upgraded PSU to run it - and a graphics card to support DX10 - oh, and almost forgot, a copy of Vista. I'm going deaf just thinking of all those cash registers snapping shut on our hard-earned.......

Just my $2000 worth http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

B. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> dont forget a new CPU to open all that other over priced hardwear up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fatoomch
09-08-2006, 11:43 PM
The way this is going (MS Vista, DX10 etc.) in the next few years we'll need multi CPU core with up-teen GB of ram just to open a *.txt file in Notepad.
God only knows what specs will be required to open a spreadsheet let alone play a game.
...Hang on a minute, thats what MS is doing now!! Getting us to spend heaps of hard earned cash on hardware upgrades for a small "improvement" in perfomance and features. (Hmm, reminds me to nip out and buy some shares in ATI and NVidia).

You can bet BOB will be significantly delayed while Vista and DX10 gets sorted out enough so Oleg knows how to get BOB to work with it.

WTE_Ibis
09-09-2006, 02:56 AM
I read somewhere that they have dropped support for open GL, I hope that prooves to be wrong.