PDA

View Full Version : Zen class not recognizing my squats

bekkilyn
11-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I haven't really had any issues with the personal training sessions or the cardio boxing class so far. When they've said go lower and I'd go lower, the game recognizes it and she's saying, "Yes! Just like that."

But the Zen class is a whole different matter. Whenever I have to do the chair squats or that plie squat, the game doesn't think I've done it at all. I've even tried going down so low that I'd be sitting on the ground if I go any lower and still nothing. I can see the little shadow form doing the squat on screen too.

Nappermisu1523
11-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Same problem here. Hopefully Ubi responds to some of these issues on the forums.

tinyntuf
11-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi, I'm having a little trouble with this also. I'm just under 5 feet tall and if I squat any lower I'll really get hurt, also it wants me to take a wider stance in the other programs (that can't happen either) The Zen sessions aren't recognizing a lot of what I'm doing. I think I figured out that when your skeleton turns green you get more credit, but I have to be a contortionist to get it that way. But all in all Your Shape is Great! It does have a yoga class, right?

tommyturnip
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
I logged on to see if it was just me, it obviously is not.

bekkilyn
12-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I've been playing more with this Zen class, just doing the first part of the first class over and over a few times. I finally got it to recognize my squats (plie chi's), but only by doing them drastically wrong.

In order to get 100% on these squats, I needed to lean backwards into a half backbend, then thrust my hips forward as far as they would go into the half backbend, and then plie (squat) slightly.

Bingo! 100%.

Problem is that there is no plie on earth that looks this contorted. We did plenty of plies in my ballet classes I took years ago, and our backs were never arched anywhere near this much.

So I can get 100% on these, but only by doing them drastically wrong.

Now someone tell me that it's only a matter of doing these exercises enough to get better at them.

AuntieParticle
12-24-2010, 04:30 PM
This is very interesting. While the zen class have been challenging for me on the whole in terms of trying to achieve a good percentage, the plie chi is the one exercise in which I consistently receive 100% - no odd posture required.

One thing I discovered very early on in using YSFE is it helps not to wear anything loose on the legs. This is especially true of the zen classes. In warm weather I wear well fitting shorts and in cooler weather I wear leggings or close fitting thermal underwear. This gives my legs more definition and helps with tracking.

In spite of (or perhaps because of) the challenges I still love the zen classes. They are an excellent way for me to let go of the cares of the day.

bekkilyn
12-24-2010, 07:46 PM
I've been wearing very close fitting shorts. I wonder if things like body size, shape, height, gender, etc. make a big difference. I am female, 5'9", and within normal weight range, and the sensor can see my feet. No issues with squats anywhere else in the game so far. It's just the Zen class. I do find that I have to exaggerate some movements in some other areas to get the credit, but nothing so exaggerated as this.

AuntieParticle
12-25-2010, 04:24 AM
I have been wondering the same thing especially since there seem to be a wide variety of complaints in this forum and elsewhere that involve different body areas. I am similar to you in most regards except I am only 5'5" - pretty average all around http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif The only thing that sets me apart from just plain average is that my legs are proportionally long for the length of my torso. But it seems to me that if the games knows where your head, shoulders, chest, elbows, wrists, hips, knees and ankles are it should be able to track any size person reasonably well.

I was also thinking about the difficulty you and others are having with the plie chi squat and it occurred to me that when I do it successfully (100%) I am not doing a very low squat at all. I am already in a wide stance from the previous exercise so the squat is simply a natural transition. Perhaps you are trying to go too low and less of a squat would work.

bekkilyn
12-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Hmmm, I don't recall if I tried not going down very low. In my real tai chi classes, it was always never low enough. I'll try staying high today and see if anything different happens.

bekkilyn
12-25-2010, 05:10 PM
I gave it a shot with doing higher squats and, unfortunately, no go. I still ended up having to bend backwards before it would give me full credit. I'll mess with it again tomorrow and see if there are other things I can do to inspire it.

AuntieParticle
12-26-2010, 03:45 AM
I looked again at what I'm doing and here's a bit more detail: The routine just before the plie chi in the entire stream class is always the warrior pose. After a successful warrior pose I leave my legs the same distance from each other and only pivot my feet slightly to face front. If your watch her feet you can see that the trainer is doing this as well. With this very wide stance I go right into the plie chi, and it works perfectly for me.

I hope that helps. Good Luck!

bekkilyn
12-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Today I will try to make sure that I don't adjust my stance after a successful warrior and see how that goes.

bekkilyn
12-26-2010, 03:47 PM
No luck again. My stance didn't budge after warrior except turning my feet in the proper directions, and it still wouldn't recognize any sort of squat or plie until I thrust my hips forward and leaned back.

Maybe it thinks that I'm not standing up straight unless I'm doing it that way for whatever reason. Maybe it thinks that I am shorter or taller (in the waist?) than I am, so it is looking for the placement for someone of that size.

No trouble with any of the other exercises in that little segment except that it refuses to recognize what my arms are doing for left warrior.

Will start analyzing the bone patterns between the weird way where I get credit and the correct way where I don't get credit and see if anything looks different between them.

Amalaura
01-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I am having the same problem. It also a lot of time doesn't recognize my arm movements. I can have my arms out wide and it still doesn't give credit.
I'm tall, 5'10, so I wonder if I am too spread out for it to see properly.
I also did the initial scan wearing looser clothing which I see was a mistake but I can't tell if I can redo the scan or if I have to delete and start all over. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Maybe it should suggest you wear tight fitting clothes before the scan.

MsgtFlash
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I have no problem with it recognizing my squats in the Plie Chi, but it never recognizes my squats in the wave squat. I've tried going lower, not going as low, using a slightly wider stance, nothing seems to work.

bossalias3
01-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I have also had alot of issues with my squats and the rooster. Is there a patch coming out? I'm wearing good clothing and all other excercises are right on.

ARJones8809
01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I am having problems with several of my readings and it really bums me out because I am doing the motion and no matter how I do it it won't register it. I am wondering if the sensor isn't registering me right because I am knock-kneed and double jointed (causing my body to bend differently) or if I really am a fitness ******. I can usually achieve over 80% on the overall routines but if it involves a reading off of my legs it doesn't seem to work. Is anyone else having a similar problem?

AuntieParticle
01-08-2011, 02:04 AM
I too am "Knock-kneed" not to mention quiet flat footed. It is, in fact, for these reasons that I have been very determined to build up and maintain the strength in my legs over the years. My motions including squats are recognized by Kinect and YSFE just fine. I seem to have less trouble with squats and lunges than a lot of others. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AuntieParticle
01-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by MsgtFlash:
I have no problem with it recognizing my squats in the Plie Chi, but it never recognizes my squats in the wave squat. I've tried going lower, not going as low, using a slightly wider stance, nothing seems to work.

I noticed on the wave squats that sometime I would get 100% and sometime I would get 75%. So I started trying to analyze the difference and I discovered that my stance is narrower on the 100% ones. I noticed that sometime after completing the previous wave squat that my feet were slightly farther apart than when I started. I have consciously made a effort to correct this and now I mostly get 100%. For me the stance is slightly narrower than it appears the trainer is doing.

thecoolestninja
01-10-2011, 01:15 AM
I believe a lot of these issues are stemming from inaccurate measurements taken during the setup of the game. according to the wireframe diagram that's thrown on my profile while performing the Zen routines (and all the others for that matter) my hip joints are located up around my belly button somewhere. This means i have to squat down an extra 6 inches for it to detect that i have bent my hips at a 90 degree angle. i haven't seen an option to recalibrate the measurements. i'm debating about losing progress and starting over just to get the chance to calibrate again.

Amalaura
01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. I haven't decided yet as to if I want to lose everything and start it over. I may do it though because the misreadings are very annoying. Especially when it tells me to move my legs further apart when to do so would make me fall over lol.

bekkilyn
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't want to lose my progress unless I know it's going to work, so I've been thinking about creating multiple profiles to see if any of them seem to calibrate right for Zen.

Gilded.Baugh
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
To all! I have been having the same issues (especially regarding the Wave Squat), but fear not, I think I solved it.

I kept trying to squat "like you're sitting in a chair" without killing myself, and I finally realized what (I believe) the problem was.

When doing the wave squat, make sure that you DO NOT have a wide stance. It wants your knees to be in line with your hips and over your ankles. I have found that by ensuring that my knees don't knob outwards while squatting, I am able to complete the Wave Squat with 100%. I hope this helps!

Here's a problem I'm having (but I might just have to deal with it—I'm 6'6", so I constantly have to reposition myself for different moves to ensure I don't disintegrate into little flowers and butterflies :P

Also—just a thought—I think it's important to, instead of trying to please the inanimate object that's judging me, just do the exercises safely and correctly. I use a calorie-counting heart rate monitor and don't pay attention to whether my Xbox wants to give me calories for squatting or not. It's much more important to just try and emulate the virtual lady rather than make the stick-figure-skeleton go green in my opinion.

Well, this book is done being written. Hope I helped. Namaste http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Gypsy816
01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks for posting Gilded.Baugh!

AuntieParticle
01-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Gilded.Baugh:

When doing the wave squat, make sure that you DO NOT have a wide stance. It wants your knees to be in line with your hips and over your ankles. I have found that by ensuring that my knees don't knob outwards while squatting, I am able to complete the Wave Squat with 100%. I hope this helps!

Yes, a narrower stance has worked for me as well. For me the stance is slightly narrower than it appears the trainer is doing.

Amalaura
01-19-2011, 01:58 PM
I redid my initial scan with tighter clothes on and it's picking me up better. Got the wave squat down but Plie Chi is still giving me problems. It also doesn't pick up my arms being open on Plie or on Warrior...which seems rather silly.

qetuip
01-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I was having the same issue with not getting the squat correct in Plie Chi. Then, I noticed it saying not to extend my knees beyond my toes. I brought my knees in and suddenly it was green. So, the issue wasn't that my squat needed to be wider, but that my knees were not aligned with my toes (in fact, my squat ended up being a little narrower than what I thought the program was asking for). Now I get 100% on the Plie Chi.

Amalaura
01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Cool I'll try that next time. Now to figure out why my arms don't work right lol.

Warpath73
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
I had the same issues with these two moves previously, and the recent advice is on-track:
- For the Wave Squat, I actually have to have my knees touching each other in order for the sensor to register the move as "correct".
- For the Plie Chi, going wider and lower definitely did NOT work - the sensor registers me as "correct" when my feet are about shoulder-width plus 12-18", like a "horse stance" in martial arts, and the squat seemingly has to be a gentle one, where my thighs are at about a 45 degree angle to my shins. For the arms, success seems to be mostly driven my mirroring the very slow speed with which the "trainer" spreads/opens them wide.

Hope that helps! :-)

InfoMofo
02-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Amalaura:
Cool I'll try that next time. Now to figure out why my arms don't work right lol.

One thing I would suggest is don't lock your elbows. I used to only get 50% on plie chi, and I noticed the avatar kept her elbows bent, and when I tried that (elbows bent a little, going straight back, and going beyond the plane of my chest), I started getting arm credit.

ph0t0bug
05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
Same problem here. The clothing should not be a problem as the cardio sees my squats just fine. Really wish I could move ahead with the program but really feel strongly about doing the it right before continuing.

Vanceg67
01-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Don't go to deep, watch how deep the instructor goes while watching your avatar to match

PhreddxBox
02-19-2012, 12:29 AM
It's a relief to know I'm not the only one having this issue. I did notice things like clothes can make a big difference, and even placement of the Kinect can make a difference (on top of the TV or eye level instead of below the TV). However, for the last 2 days I've been doing Zen Yoga and some Personal Training in my boxer-briefs alone. No baggy pants, no pants at all, no fluffy shirts, no socks or even shoes (that also tend to register the tips of my toes as my ankle.. I wear a size 14 shoe, there is a large distance between my ankle and toes). Many yoga poses did not register but mostly, of course, was the Plie Chi squats not registering at all. 100% on the Warrior, etc, but still after several days of recalibrating the hardware, removing nearly all clothing, and finding the perfect placement of the Kinect oh and of course lighting, I still get 0% for the Plie Chi and many other squats. Some kick maneuvers in the block punching also don't quite track properly, and some other issues with my personal trainer. I've tried lower squats as suggested above, and I've gone so far down that I was practically sitting, but still can not get it to recognize a single squat. That is the most frustrating part of it all.

Lastly it constantly tells me to widen my stance, which puts my legs so far apart that it's not natural or comfortable, then 1 - 2 seconds later tries to correct my stance and bring my legs closer together all the while expecting me to keep up with the routines. There are still some fun things to do with YSFE, but it's so far been kind of a let down because of the fail lower body tracking. I hope this gets worked out with a patch, I really enjoy the routines and being able to do all this at home instead of at an expensive gym.