PDA

View Full Version : I Flew Online - Disappointed ? And Some Questions...

dugong
08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I have been playing this sim on and off since it's birth. I consider myself an average pilot at best. I play for the experience, and not to learn every nuance (realistic or otherwise) of every plane.

Every once in awhile I get a hankerin' to get online and get shot down and maybe even surprise someone and put a few holes in their crate. But this is usually my experience:

Join server. Pray I take off without crashing or getting shot down just as I go gear up at 160 knots. Then look for some action . . .

It seems more often than not the action is merely a Gideon's knot of aircraft fighting over airfields. So, what I was trying to do was to get clear, gain altitude, and zoom back in. For me, that got boring real quick. It was fun for me only for a few moments, but I just could not stay interested.

It was not the attitude of other pilots, everyone (for the most part) has always been polite and cordial in this community - someone did get accused of vulching, and it might have been me on the receiving end, I can be sure, but oh well. I can't say for sure. But, overall it was a friendly experience.

So, outside of scheduled squadron engagements, what other options are there for online? It seems that most of the time flights degrade into the situation I described. Are there other servers that have more interesting engagements?

I am not saying it was boring - it was just not what interests me for too long. Any other options?

Thanks for any input.

dugong
08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I have been playing this sim on and off since it's birth. I consider myself an average pilot at best. I play for the experience, and not to learn every nuance (realistic or otherwise) of every plane.

Every once in awhile I get a hankerin' to get online and get shot down and maybe even surprise someone and put a few holes in their crate. But this is usually my experience:

Join server. Pray I take off without crashing or getting shot down just as I go gear up at 160 knots. Then look for some action . . .

It seems more often than not the action is merely a Gideon's knot of aircraft fighting over airfields. So, what I was trying to do was to get clear, gain altitude, and zoom back in. For me, that got boring real quick. It was fun for me only for a few moments, but I just could not stay interested.

It was not the attitude of other pilots, everyone (for the most part) has always been polite and cordial in this community - someone did get accused of vulching, and it might have been me on the receiving end, I can be sure, but oh well. I can't say for sure. But, overall it was a friendly experience.

So, outside of scheduled squadron engagements, what other options are there for online? It seems that most of the time flights degrade into the situation I described. Are there other servers that have more interesting engagements?

I am not saying it was boring - it was just not what interests me for too long. Any other options?

Thanks for any input.

ElAurens
08-12-2007, 05:40 PM
What server were you flying on?

LW_lcarp
08-12-2007, 06:01 PM
That describes so many servers now days its pitiful. Take off get about 1000 feet get shot down by somebody in a spitfire or LA, Rinse, repeat.

If you want an experiance not like this get in a full switch server with objectives. Not just shooting down planes. War Clouds is one such server that I know of and there are a couple more.

bun-bun195333
08-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Fly coops with friends - much more fun that way.

Waldo.Pepper
08-12-2007, 06:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">server with objectives </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 This changes everything (mostly).

danjama
08-12-2007, 06:13 PM
coops

SeaFireLIV
08-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds like you`re looking for a more meaningful experience, but you don`t want to join a squad. This limits your choices.

Waiting for a CO OP is your best bet, but you`re dealing with Human beings and unlike offline, they`re not always ready when you are, even in a squad.

You could attempt to join a dogfight server like Warclouds and join their Teamspeak server. i have found this to be one of the few ways you get a little more out of the engagaement since you can hear what`s happening. Also, unlike typing in text and `hoping` for teamwork, you`re much less likely to be ignored.

But to be honest, i`d say wait for a co op or join a Squad. It may not be the answer you want, but it`s the truth.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-12-2007, 06:33 PM
You experience will differ depending on the server you choose to fly in. I take it you looking for a sim like experience with a mission and objectives. A good choice would be to join some coops and as far as servers go I recommend the following for the style of play your looking for:

Zekes vs Wildcats
Spits vs 109s
Winds of War
Historia
UK dedicated 2
UK dedicated 3

Join any of the above and Im willing to bet your view regarding online play will change. Also you could look to join a squad. In a squad you get to fly with like minded pilots and use comms. Good luck and good hunting.

S!

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-12-2007, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">server with objectives </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 This changes everything (mostly). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif 100%

dugong
08-12-2007, 06:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
What server were you flying on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't remember offhand. I will try some of the suggested servers and give Teamspeak a try next weekend.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-12-2007, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dugong:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ElAurens:
What server were you flying on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't remember offhand. I will try some of the suggested servers and give Teamspeak a try next weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All the servers I mentioned run a dedicated TS server as well. You will just have to get the ip and pw which is simple enough.

S!

VW-IceFire
08-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Come join us on UK-Dedicated2 or 3 (or 1 although its a bit more disorganized) and make sure you get TeamSpeak and hook it up to the servers TeamSpeak setup. Lots of friendly folks on there...admins and regulars...all three servers are objective based with a wide variety of historically based scenarios (and some historical what-ifs).

As long as you're ok with flying a diverse variety of aircraft (some scenarios are very early war, some are very late war, some are right in between) one of these might just be the thing for you. Although not always, we sometimes have formation bombing attacks and fighter sweeps. Lots of squads do play there but I'm not really into the squad thing and these guys are great in just being a regular group with no serious aspirations...just fun in mind.

Sorry for being such a schill for these servers...they really are great. If none of these do it for you and you want something more difficult/possibly more team oriented then try Historia or WarClouds or Spits vs 109s and so forth.

dugong
08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the information - I will give it a go next weekend. I have never given Teamspeak a go, maybe it is about time!

leitmotiv
08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
UK-Dedicated 2 and 3 look like just the thing to get me online, excuse my ignorance, but where do I go to play?

BrotherVoodoo
08-12-2007, 10:54 PM
The 99th run coops nightly, feel free to join one sir.

xTHRUDx
08-12-2007, 11:02 PM
teamspeak is a wonderful tool.
you'll also develop friendships in everytime zone and many countries.

Grand_Armee
08-12-2007, 11:34 PM
An important change for you might be 'feeling involved'. Teamspeak is the best way to actually make friends on a server.

Many servers will have more than one field from which you can launch. Taking off from a rear field gives you time to get some altitude.

Avoiding servers that allow the 'wonder-woman' view helps immensely. Those red and blue arrows take any possible element of surprise completely away.

Historical maps and planesets are good as well. It really 5h1t's me when every map you see has the Spitfire or La-7 on it.

Widowmaker214
08-12-2007, 11:34 PM
The dogfight servers are what online flight has always been since the days of air warrior and before.

lots of guys that do nothing BUT that. And they fly every plane looking for the biggest advantage. And thats all they fly. and All they do. And they maximize shake maneuvers as well. Things that would get you killed were you a real pilot. Things the planes wouldn't normally do. But you can do them in the game and avoid those pesky bullets.
I love to get online and in a dog fight server, get on a guys tail and watch him just kick rudder every which way possible and yank the stick in circles to do his best to avoid the bullets. While he prays another guy is dropping on you so you cant swing back in for the kill.
Not saying everyone does it but I see that so much I spend most of my time laughing. So sad. But if thats his idea of flying, so be it.

Dogfighting is great but the dogfight servers don't really show much of real dogfighting. Honestly. You see a little cooperation here and there and in those few brief instances, you actually drift back in time. But those times are few and far between. Its to much about kill ratio to to many people. Always has been, always will be.

I'm sure I'll get ripped for my comments. Thats usual.

My suggestions. Find a group you enjoy. Guys you enjoy hanging out with. Thats what brings some real fun. A group of guys that know each other, learn each other and how they fly. That cooperate well together.
COOP is the way to go. We want to dogfight, we can do that without all the drama.
As well there are some good interesting dogfight/coop servers that have "objectives". You still have to deal with what I spoke of earlier though.

We, my group, fly pretty much all coops. We use a dynamic camapign generator along with a dedicated server controller... They are coops but differnt than the regular servers. Only a handful run the rnzoli software like we do. Which is mission based.. you all go in.. fly the mission. You die, you are done till the mission is over. No freely in and out like the regular DF/COOP servers. The nice thing is.. its campaign based. Moving ground units, moving front line. What you do in your missions affects what goes on in the next.

you can check us out at 214th.com
as well there are plenty of other squadrons around....
some do coop.. some just the dogfights...
its all about what preference you have.
hell there are groups that only fly one plane.

Just find a bunch that you feel comfortable with and they fly the way you are looking to.

You can look up other squadrons in the squadrons section of this forum.

rnzoli
08-13-2007, 01:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fly coops with friends - much more fun that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You can also fly open (public) co-op missions with complete strangers and make new friends in the process! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
The love of the sim and common mission objectives do wonders to people http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
08-13-2007, 02:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Widowmaker214:

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are of course, correct. Dogfight servers are anything, but realistic and very often lack that `meaning` that I need in WWII sims. If it hasn`t got that `meaning` I might as well be flying Quake with lasers, or any other meaningless fantasy.

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-13-2007, 02:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm sure I'll get ripped for my comments. Thats usual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Because for the most part you are correct. See...and you was worried for nothing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

S!

mbfRoy
08-13-2007, 03:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
UK-Dedicated 2 and 3 look like just the thing to get me online, excuse my ignorance, but where do I go to play? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use ASE (All Seeying Eye) to get the server list. I suppose you can also use Hyperlobby, although I have never used it.

I've been to UK-Ded servers a few times and indeed everyone has always been very friendly.

"Don't forget to use the correct markings"

slipBall
08-13-2007, 03:06 AM
I alway's felt that on-line is missing structure, or chain of command. I think a team speak mandatory server might do well

SeaFireLIV
08-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Chain of command is very difficult on just any Team Speak server. because no one is affiliated ( not part of a Squad), there`s actually no real boss. I suppose the game server host is the `boss`, but he doesn`t necessarily want to lead, nor is there much of a chance anyone would listen (they would just drop out of TS instead).

It`s more about an `agreed cooperation` than leading.

To get an actual chain of command you have to join a Squad, and even there you often get more chiefs than cooks!

You just can`t get THAT realistic.

mrsiCkstar
08-13-2007, 03:47 AM
this has always been the case with any online gaming... in public servers you get pick up games, fast action, and often people who act like morons.

in flight sims, it's airquake, in racing sims, it's pickup races with people who don't care and make suicidal pass attempts and wreck you on the first corner of the race... FPS games it's run and gun.

it's better to join a wing, racing league or a clan because they have scheduled times for playing... and you know the kind of company you'll have and everyone has the same mindset as you do mostly. it provides the most enjoyable online experience.

mrsiCkstar
08-13-2007, 03:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> To get an actual chain of command you have to join a Squad, and even there you often get more chiefs than cooks!

You just can`t get THAT realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true necessarily... the wing I'm a member of flies Allied Force... during briefing we always assign flight leads, and then those leads brief their individual flights and the comms during the missions are very realistic and immersive... It's great...

slipBall
08-13-2007, 04:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> To get an actual chain of command you have to join a Squad, and even there you often get more chiefs than cooks!

Not true necessarily... the wing I'm a member of flies Allied Force... during briefing we always assign flight leads, and then those leads brief their individual flights and the comms during the missions are very realistic and immersive... It's great... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif...Close to real life, this sounds very cool

mynameisroland
08-13-2007, 05:48 AM
Yesterday I had a 45 min long running dogfight with 3 Fw 190 A8s. I was with another Tempest doing a combat sweep over the Allied DDay ships to cover them from Luftwaffe Jabos and Ju88/He 111s. But the Luftwaffe fighters decided to come in and cover their bombers and flew at 20,000ft upwards with Mk 108 cannons. Almost all of the Allied side were flying ground attack missions in support of the beach head and only my self and abour 3 or 4 others were flying in a pure air to air role.

I caught one of the Fw 190s at 18,500 ft by sneaking up on his low six and damaging his controls with a long range burst before having to dive down to around 13,000 ft to escape his wingmen. That was just the start of the fight.

I usually take 75% fuel and after at least a dozen failed attempts to climb up to altitude without being spotted by the enemy by the time we had managed to climb to 25,000ft without getting bounced by the prowling Fw 190s I was running on fuel vapours. In the end I managed to catch one of the Fw 190s who had left the main body of bandits as they rtb'd to refuel. The sortie time was probably 50/60 min and instead of rt'bing with 3 kills and very low fuel I spotted a Ju88 making an attack on our ships so I dove to attack and hit him but got sucker punched by his bomb delay lol

Anyway not all fights are like that online but sometimes you do come up against good examples of team work and it is very rewarding.

mrsiCkstar
08-13-2007, 06:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrsiCkstar:

Not true necessarily... the wing I'm a member of flies Allied Force... during briefing we always assign flight leads, and then those leads brief their individual flights and the comms during the missions are very realistic and immersive... It's great... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif...Close to real life, this sounds very cool </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... we get a general briefing about the air and SAM threats around the target area... as well as departure and TOT times for all flights. And whatever else is important to the mission...

then the flights break up to their own TS channels and have a more detailed brief with steerpoints and ordnance delivery and tactics etc... flight altitudes and what to do if we get intercepted... rejoin procedures.

Also everyone has the normal transmit switch assigned, plus a Guard switch... with the normal, only your flight can hear you, and when you speak on Guard everyone else hears you as well... this is usualy reserved to flight leads but everyone has it incase they find themselves the lone survivor of the flight...

comms might sound like this:

"cowboy11, cowboy12 is saddled your left seven"

or

"cowboy12 has radar contact, bullseye two-four-seven for thirty five, eighteen thousand, hot aspect!"

it gets very immersive to say the least!

stanford-ukded
08-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience online, mate. Stick with it - there's a lot of good eggs out there willing to help you out. As has been said, jump on TS and don't be afraid to shout out if you want a wingman, some advice or simple clarification on what you should be doing.

Forgive me if I'm coming across in a patronising way, I certainly don't mean to. I just don't know quite what your online experience is. I help run the UK Dedicated servers mentioned in this thread and put together a little guide for new pilots on the server. Sort of a work in progress of the rules we have there. We'd like every pilot we have to read through it, new and old. It just clarifies the rules, really.

http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=14805

You may as well have a browse through our forums while your there, you'll see a strong community that cares about its servers and people having a good time on them. Rest assured, if you ever have a problem on UK Dedicated 1, 2 or 3 then jump on the forums to tell us why. You'll usually get a response within a couple of minutes (yes we do basically live there!).

The last thing I should mention is read the brief fully, no matter what server you are on. There's map-specific information which most people miss.

leitmotiv
08-13-2007, 08:51 AM
I am keen to try your servers, stanford---where do I go? I have never used online. Your servers look exactly like what I've been seeking in online.

Bearcat99
08-13-2007, 08:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Widowmaker214:
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are of course, correct. Dogfight servers are anything, but realistic and very often lack that `meaning` that I need in WWII sims. If it hasn`t got that `meaning` I might as well be flying Quake with lasers, or any other meaningless fantasy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially seeing the Spits vs Mustangs 109s vs 190s etc... I prefer to have the historical matchups.. or at least close too it.

stanford-ukded
08-13-2007, 09:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
I am keen to try your servers, stanford---where do I go? I have never used online. Your servers look exactly like what I've been seeking in online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have three choices really, Direct IP connect through the game, Hyperlobby or All Seeing Eye.

I don't really recommend the former, as you can't see who's on, what map is playing or the settings.

Hyperlobby is a popular choice as it has a built in chat function. You need to register an account once you have installed the software and have run it the first time. You need to join "Forgotton Battles" as your game, and then on the left are the servers sorted in order of player numbers. However, players who join by any method that is not Hyperlobby, don't show up to other players in Hyperlobby. It's a flaw, unfortunately.

My personal preference, and I think the easiest, is installing All Seeing Eye. It can be used for hundreds of games and scans the servers automatically. You can sort them any way you like.

Just search for either on Google and you'll find the downloads pretty quick.

Bearcats brilliant Nuggets Guide (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/9121094645) contains instructiosn - with pictures - on how to set up Hyperlobby. Initially at least it's probably easiest for you to follow those.

I really hope to see you online, jump on Team Speak with us and we'll be glad to help you out and get you started. http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=11672 is a great guide by Algore of how to set up TS and get chatting to us.

Here you'll find our IL2 forum: http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/forumdisplay.php?f=36

And here are the rules of the servers / new player guide:

http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=14805

Sorry I've rushed this post, but I'm sure the boss will be back any minute!

Any problems, PM me either here or at Battle-fields.com. Probably best to use the later.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Here are the things I look for in online servers:

1. Closed pit (but some lattitude for possibly flying AI heavies on some missions)

2. Historical (or at least semi-historical) aircraft matchups.

3. Scripted servers (FBD or SC...it doesn't matter)

4. Diverse victory parameters for each map with victory achievable in 1 sortie HIGHLY improbable. (it's so frustrating to try to settle into a map and fly a smart sortie when a single flight of 2 P-38's or a couple Ju-88's can beeline to the target area and roll the map in 15 minutes)

5. Only a spattering of late-war maps (The early/mid-war planesets are soooo much more challenging IMO)

5. at least a modest mixture of theaters of operation. (I actually DO enjoy some EF stuff!)

Get on TeamSpeak and instead of bolting for the front line to engage some baddies, read the brief and take some ordnance. Heading to target with a friendly on TS, dropping ordnance and fighting your way back out is ultimately rewarding.

HuninMunin
08-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I am keen to try your servers, stanford---where do I go? I have never used online. Your servers look exactly like what I've been seeking in online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea.
I used to hang out there a lot ( still do sometimes).
The best servers if you look for some historical fun without making big cuts on the fun http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

leitmotiv
08-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Many thanks!