PDA

View Full Version : >>PROWAR server DOT settings fix<<

TheGozr
11-23-2004, 02:14 AM
You can connect to the ( test ) Prowar server @
64.81.49.185:21000
or ASE under "PROWAR" v3.01m
It's running the last Competition map with the new DOT settings .
Thx to Thrud and the other Team usa for those many hours of testing
Enjoy.
The "dot" are much better that way.
Many server will follow the way.

Add your comments thx.

Zen--
11-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Pssst, can you just tell me what the mp_dotrange DOT is set at? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Aviar
11-23-2004, 03:53 PM
When you join a server, bring up the console and type in the following:

>mp_dotrange

Then hit ENTER.The dotrange settings for that server will then display.

PS-As of this evening, the PROWAR SERVER03 was running their DOT at a distance of 6.5km.

Aviar

Zen--
11-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks very much Aviar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I know how to get the settings but Gozr is always trying to get me in his server.

Alone.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Thanks for posting what they are, much obliged

<S>

Aviar
11-23-2004, 04:36 PM
I normally wouldn't, but since you asked for comments, I will.

First of all, I think that calling this a 'fix' may be stretching it a little, but hey, what do I know? My reasoning is that if one doesn't like the bigger dots at 14km (default DOT distance), they probably still won't like them very much at 6.5km.

Secondly, what you are doing is limiting viewing distance by more than 50%. I'm not a pilot, but I think that, in good weather, one can see a plane at more than 6.5km. (Obviously, I mean a plane being framed against the sky, not down low against the ground.) What you are doing is sacrificing one feature (spotting a plane at over 6.5km) because you don't like another feature (larger dots).

Personally, as a player, I like my complete viewing distance so I know what is around me. If I had a choice of having dots a little larger instead of too small, I'd rather go a little bigger. It's hard enough trying to fly around using a monitor and a small FOV as your 'eyes'.

Anyway, it's still just a game and it is your server, so you can do whatever you like. Just my $0.02.

Aviar

El Turo
11-23-2004, 04:39 PM
As a private pilot.. I'll confirm your suspicions that a 6.5km visibility limit is pretty well rediculous from a "realism" perspective.

People are free, of course, to do as they please. Just adding/answering your implied question.

gates123
11-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Old dots should kik in at 14 and new dots at 6.5. That would be a good fix and hopefully that will be an option in the next patch. As of now its hard to tell if your closing in on someone or not between 14 and 5k distance.