PDA

View Full Version : Radeon 9700 to Radeon 9800 make dif?



Flop13
10-31-2004, 03:45 PM
Is it worth upgrading form a 9700 to a 9800 for PF? Would it have much effect on the overall water and appearance?

Thanks:

RocketDog
10-31-2004, 04:43 PM
There are several different tyes of ATi card. e.g.,

9800SE = hopeless
9800 = OK
9800Pro = quite good
9800XT = fastest of the 9800 range and pretty good, but not competetive with the new X800s or Nvidia's 6800GT/Ultra

If it was a 9700 non-Pro card to a 9800XT, then yes. Otherwise, it may not be that great a jump.

If you at all can, think of an X800Pro instead (I know, easy for me to say when it's other people's money).

Regards,

RocketDog.

Flop13
10-31-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks. I am currently running a 9700 Pro. on a P4 2.6 GHZ w 512 RAM.

Hunde_3.JG51
10-31-2004, 05:11 PM
To be honest I would wait. It is rarely worth it to jump up one level of card (9700pro to 9800pro, 9800pro to 9800XT (?), etc.) I usually wait to jump up at least two models better, and only after price has dropped somewhat. 9700pro is plenty good enough for FB/PF, and you would notice little difference with 9800pro IMO.

I went from 8500 to 9800pro.

Hunter82
10-31-2004, 05:17 PM
ask Ivan about the 9700 to 9800 XT jump...worked well for him. BUT in most cases the X800 pro is very close in price to the 9800 XT so the X800 would be the better choice

Flop13
10-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RocketDog
10-31-2004, 06:36 PM
I went from a 9700Pro to an X800Pro and am very, very impressed. It's a big step up.

The 9700Pro struggled too much to be playable in perfect, but with the X800Pro I can run perfect (water = 0) in 1600 x 1200 with 2 x FSAA and get 25 - 45 FPS with very pleasing smoothness of play. If I was to buy another card tomorrow, it would be an X800XT - if I could find one for less than 400 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Regards,

RocketDog.

GT182
10-31-2004, 06:48 PM
Flop13, what will help you more for now is another 512megs of RAM. If you can't have matched RAM cards at least make sure it's the same brand and type. [IE: If you have Corsair 512 DDR400, get the same.] That might be the easiest thing to do for now. Then work on saving for a new video card. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif