PDA

View Full Version : I-16 engine

Riggsie152005
11-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Why is it that the I-16 engine cuts out to near complete power loss randomly. I've been trying to play it lately, but for some reason the engine losses power. Ive tryed to find out why by studying what i do with the engine but i still don't know. There is also no way to regain power.

msalama
11-17-2005, 11:52 PM
The engine uses a normal carburetor (i.e. no fuel injection), which starves of fuel under negative gravity.

LEXX_Luthor
11-18-2005, 12:27 AM
Don't push the stick forward too hard.

Experiment. Push the stick forward and watch engine guages flutter. Too much stick push and the engine stops. Also happens in bumpy bad weather. That's kinda a challenge flying these types in bad conditions.

You can restart I-16 but you have to have some airspeed (above 200km/hr). Others are like this, -153, -50, -42, -8A, Hurricane, most jets, but the Hurri you can start at any airspeed including stopped off airfield. The others can't start engine on the ground except on airfields or Test Runways. They need external starter.

x6BL_Brando
11-18-2005, 02:27 AM
As Lexx says, pushing the nose down too firmly will cause negG-induced fuel starvation in the Rata and several early aircraft. When that happens you'll need to roll your throttle off (to prevent choking on restart) and maintain a shallow glide to stay above 200km/h while you attempt a restart. This obviously makes you very vulnerable to attack - so it's worth re-thinking the way you go about descending rapidly.

Don't overdo inputs from stick, rudder or throttle. If you just want to lower the nose to view, say, the horizon, then ease back the throttle and push the nose over really gently. But if you need to dive rapidly it's quite different. Still ease back some on the gas, but do not push the stick at all. Instead you need to roll more or less inverted and pull the stick back (gently).... Remember to be gentle with the controls and you'll be fine.

Try the wing over/ peel away method a few times and you should get it...you can experiment with what else you can do from there.

joeap
11-18-2005, 03:59 AM
I also seem to lose power when hit, yet my engine is not smoking.

x6BL_Brando
11-18-2005, 04:59 AM
I also seem to lose power when hit, yet my engine is not smoking.

I don't think all damage to an engine will necessarily cause noticeable amounts of smoke, especially in the aircooled radials. A holed cylinder or two, or damge to valve gear will not release enough oil to show a trail of lubricant or cause a fire, but will cause a decrease in engine efficiency. I notice it particularly in the Polikarpov engines.

vocatx
11-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Joeap, try changing magnetos when this happens. Sometimes this will help.

Kuna15
11-18-2005, 09:29 AM
I16 startup in flight (http://free-vk.t-com.hr/domagoj/tracks/I-16_startup.zip)

joeap
11-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by vocatx:
Joeap, try changing magnetos when this happens. Sometimes this will help.

Will try that, thanks. Kuna will look at the track thanks to you too.

Kuna15
11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Just be sure to switch engine:on when it cuts. When you press "I" to restart the engine you must see message "Engine: On", if you see message "Engine: Off" quickly press "I" again and "On" message will appear.