PDA

View Full Version : Some Striking Things About SH3

Stevepine
05-25-2006, 07:32 AM
I have been playing SH3 for just a little while now , here are some impressions of the game , do you agree...?

1) Manual solution Plotting is INCREDIBLY hard to get right! ( any tips anyone? )

2)Would have been nice if the 'at home base ' section was expanded... rather than just a bare looking office. I think the games atmosphere and depth could have been made better here.

3) My torps frequently bounce off ships (huh!!?)

4)The way in which you can select to return to base safely from anywhere on the map rather than having to sail home is an odd feature... surely any number of things could happen to prevent your safe return on route...

Stevepine
05-25-2006, 07:32 AM
I have been playing SH3 for just a little while now , here are some impressions of the game , do you agree...?

1) Manual solution Plotting is INCREDIBLY hard to get right! ( any tips anyone? )

2)Would have been nice if the 'at home base ' section was expanded... rather than just a bare looking office. I think the games atmosphere and depth could have been made better here.

3) My torps frequently bounce off ships (huh!!?)

4)The way in which you can select to return to base safely from anywhere on the map rather than having to sail home is an odd feature... surely any number of things could happen to prevent your safe return on route...

lecek
05-25-2006, 09:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1) Manual solution Plotting is INCREDIBLY hard to get right! ( any tips anyone? ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you mean plotting on the map, yes it is hard. If you mean notebook method, no you just need practice. There are other ways to do it. Normally I find course by passing infront of a target. I use the sound trainer chart to count beats and find speed. I wait until the solution is 0 so that range errors are mitigated. (Range matters least with a 0 degree solution, all you need is ball park range.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">3) My torps frequently bounce off ships (huh!!?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make sure you are at least 350 meters away from the target (It is more complicated but this simple rule covers all). Make sure you are 90 abeam of the target +/- 15. (Or at least that your torpedos will hit at those angles.) Make sure you are not setting your impact torpedos too deap. They can bounce off the rounded bottoms of ships.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4)The way in which you can select to return to base safely from anywhere on the map rather than having to sail home is an odd feature... surely any number of things could happen to prevent your safe return on route... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can only do this at less then full realism. With all difficulty options set you have to return to base. Out at sea all you get is an "abandon career." I think this is setting is by haveing everything selected no matter your difficulty percent. So some mods that let you have 100% while not selecting everything would still give you the option to return home. I am not sure though and I wonder is someone with IUB (I think that is the one.) can let me know if this is the case.

Edit: You get 100 renown for returning to base. (Modified by your difficulty setting.)

Whermacht02
05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey Stevepine. What you say about "at port" screen sounds right. I mean, it would have been better seeing anything else than the office. But at the same time, i think the office screen does it job pretty well. You have easy access to all the things that you need to manage. I remember back in the days of Silent Hunter 1... When you where on port, you had your sub in the background, and a menu on the right that said:
GO ON PATROL
MEDALS
SAVE CAREER
REALISM
EXIT
It was something like that... Regarding the difficulty of manually aiming the torps, yes i think it is really dificult. I always play with AUTO aiming, and still have a lot of fun. Of course, it is so much easier... But still i find it fun (while using manual, i find it frustrating).

Sabastian_Healy
05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
See the improved manual torp tutorial I posted in the UBi form...{shamless plug}