PDA

View Full Version : Another "Newguys" take on SH III

Dingzoom
11-06-2005, 07:30 AM
I bought SH III when it first came out but my frame of mind wasn't ready for such a slow game at that time.

Last week I was ready to giver er a-go...sooo, I started playing the "training" scenarios.

I've been trying my best to learn the games aspects but, I really didn't get much of an understanding until yesterday from 0500 through 2330 when I ended up on the final training segment of attacking a convoy.

I didn't do to well from the get-go & only got one ship damaged & then I spent an actual 3 hours trying to get away from that pesky destroyer. He just went around in 30 knot circles while I just poked along at 3 kts or "all stop" after around 2 hours of this I started to get that "man, this is boring" feeling again....Then...I finely got far enough away that he finely returned to trailing the convoy & I was finely able to surface... However, then my sub just quit running & I found a bunch of my crew with "red marks by them so I thought that maybe they were tired, so I started swapping them out for rest (I guess this is what your suppose to do?)

Anyway, I went by and ahead of the convoy (always keeping that danged destroyers smoke funnel in site while he trailed the convoy)..

By now it was dark & I noticed that the destroyer had gotten behind & on my side of the convoy so I went to the far side & just turned & set up for a shot on the first "really big" merchant.

I sat there for an hour while they steamed my way. I started thinking "****ed...this isn't going to work...to much time (actual) spent waiting)...bummer...

THEN! ****! A search light came on and started sweeping the water & heading right for me...I didn't have time to think about escaping...he had me cold turkey & I was dead meat...

I was to close into the convoy so I went into reverse & dove to periscope debth & turned right toward him & launched two torpedos right at the search light...because that's all I could see....
the first torpedo scraped right along the keel but didn't explode...The second torpedo was doing the same thing & I was thinking...****, "I'm dead & I'll have to start all over again" When "BLAM, BOOM" and the destroyers aft section lifted clean out of the water...I jumped! man it startled me almost out of my chair..ha ha...

At that precise moment that big "FAT" merchant was right there about 400M away and I launched two torpedos & the ship just exploded in a huge blast that again rocked me back by its violence. That ship just disintergrated and was down within 2 minutes..wow..I then started picking them off in the dark one at a time...getting 400-500M and as close to 90 degrees as possible.

The last one was hard to get because he was going all over the place but I finely got into position & just stopped engines & waited for him to pass by and with my last torpedo I would finish hime off..

however, as I sat there for about 20 minutes waiting for him to get in the right position I started thinking.."again"... man, The merchant seaman are really somelthing else...I have been picking them off one at a time & they have no choice but to just sit there & wait...How terrible that waiting mush have been for them.
I started feeling..man, I can't just kill these guys...they have families & I would be just killing them...I almost didn't push the button when the time came...but, he was about 350M right in front of me and I know that in reality they must have seen me just sitting there on the surfact pointing my final torpedo right at them...
It was not fun to make that final kill...but, it was the submariners job...I know that those sub crews must have felt remorse...

That was the part of the game that I really hit me..I did not expect that type feeling to come over me with just "a-game"...

I have so much to learn about this game & the big problem is: I really don't know what I don't know..ha ha.. so that makes it hard to figure out just what to do & how to play the game...
I don't know which mod files that I really need to begin with and,I don't know where to put those mod files because no one generally puts a file path of where files are suppose to go so I can't get things to work...

Oh well, anyway, I just thought that yesterday was an interesting day...

HW3
11-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Welcome! Yes, if you let it, it will suck you right in. Just a hint, if you don't know it already, the torpedo arming distance is 300M.

WilhelmSchulz
11-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Slow Game. Boring. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif How can this game be boring! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

WilhelmSchulz
11-06-2005, 09:38 AM
In retrospect sims are not all people. You may be one of thoes. Nekulturny http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Kaleun1961
11-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Is the word you were looking for "nikulturny?" The Russians have a word like that [spelling?] for people they consider to be "without culture" or "class." I can't think this would be the appropriate word here. Perhaps "patience?"

WilhelmSchulz
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
Is the word you were looking for "nikulturny?" The Russians have a word like that [spelling?] for people they consider to be "without culture" or "class." I can't think this would be the appropriate word here. Perhaps "patience?" Da. That was what I was trying to say. It translates to un or not cultured.

U-268
11-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Welcome to Silent Hunter 3 You had a nice opening engagement. The learning curve can be a little steep but is well worth it. Waiting just ahead of you under those waves is, Unscrupolous depth charge attacks by 3 to 4 destroyers, 10 metre seas with 400m visability, Huge enemy taskforce's with carriers and battleships, Destroyers trying to run you down on the surface, Subnets and mine fields in enemy ports. Unrelentless Allied aircraft attacking you. Then one day you will loose a crew member or 2 and you will limp back to port barely afloat. You just cant help but let this game pull you in. So Happy hunting Kapitan.

One last thing When you get the mods figured out try Improved U-Boat mod @
U-Boat.realsimulation.com. It is a composition of lots of mods intergrated into one neat package is definiately worth a try.

WilhelmSchulz
11-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
Is the word you were looking for "nikulturny?" The Russians have a word like that [spelling?] for people they consider to be "without culture" or "class." I can't think this would be the appropriate word here. Perhaps "patience?" I edited my post. it has the corect spelling in it.

Foehammer-1
11-07-2005, 06:44 PM
Ok, me being Russian. That goes "Nekulturniy" and it means.. well thats kinda hard to explain... NOT without culture http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WilhelmSchulz
11-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Hu. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I allways thought it was without cutlure, class or uncivalized. Thank you Ivan.

Kaleun1961
11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Spasiba, tovaritsch. That's one more I can add to my foreign vocabulary. And if I spelled those first two incorrectly, correct them as well.

Game__On
11-07-2005, 07:35 PM
ok, now you guys have scared them away with all these strange words like "da" and "spasiba" ...
You almost let me run of to

j/k, but sims are not for everybody, so for people like me that do like sims, but also don't have all the patience (or time) in the world:

There is a little button at the lower right corner of the screen, u can "compress time" with it ...

The first couple of weeks i played "sub command" i didnt know that button was there, so i just set a course and went to the supermarket or something...
Not the way to play games, so you can imagine how happy i was when i finally clicked that handy little bugger ...
Only sims have this button, so its not that strange if one doesnt find it immediately i guess ...

> lower right corner > time compression

but even then it can get very late as it is now 3:38 AM where im at ... goodnight, love this game

Kaleun1961
11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
I got familiar with that concept back in the days of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, in the 386 days, before CPUS's had names like Pentium, Celeron, etc. Time compression was a handy tool for a guy like me who had to fly a P-51 from England to Germany and back.

The next game I had that employed it was Aces of the Deep. That was a pretty good game, except every once in a while the TC would get stuck on a low setting like 128 for the rest of the game. I couldn't even get it to fix itself if I saved it and then reloaded. It most often happened whenever other U-boats were around.

I can't imagine trying to do a whole patrol without time compression. Even for a guy like me who is off work for now with an injury, I could not put that kind of time into a game.