PDA

View Full Version : A noob question

Wildnoob
07-03-2008, 01:13 PM
made by a Wildnoob. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

guys, I gonna beggin to training formation fligths with a friend soon.

I was trying to fly in formation in an Hurricane with a AI Hurricane, and it's damm hard to keep up with him. I normally pass him or get behind. I also don't have pedals or a precise rudder control to make lateral corrections.

I know AI do many strange things on this sim, but formation fligth is also on the list ?

I never try fly in formation with a human, but hear it's more easy, it's truth ?

Flight_Catalyst
07-03-2008, 01:44 PM
In my humble opinion, formation flight is the most difficult thing to do well in this game. Give me a turbulent evening carrier landing with rudder damage any day over trying to stay on my Lead's wing in tight.

If you're using a plane with plenty of trim control you can sneak up in position with patience and practice, but you have to have a good Lead feeding you speed changes almost constantly.

Wildnoob
07-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I know constant adjustments of stick, rudder and trottle must be made.

the problem with AI is that AI don't have any motion, it's totally stable always. I think this is probably the answer.

and I agreed, it's really not a easy task, but fly in formation is so cool for me, and I dream in do this correctly.

PanzerAce
07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I actually don't find it that hard to fly in formation. A good portion of it is just making sure that everyone in the formation knows what throttle setting the leader is on, so that they don't have to guess, which will lead to either to fast or to slow of flight. It will also enable flight members to 'sneak' up on the leader, slowly reducing throttle as they approach.

Course on some planes it's really easy. Two people in P38s going to bomb the enemy base: just firewall the throttles on both, and have the wingman remove chocks when he sees you start to move.

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Formation flying is over rated...period. It's also unnecessary IMO unless you're talking about battle-spread formation flying. In which case, getting in tight is not the goal.

h009291
07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
Formation flying is over rated...period. It's also unnecessary IMO unless you're talking about battle-spread formation flying. In which case, getting in tight is not the goal.

Exactly. It impresses the Full Real Crowd, but you'll spend so much time trying to stay in formation, you won't see that Plane smoking both you at once.

Spread out a little and keep an eye open for the enemy. Leave the formation flying to the Glitzy Snowbirds http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Wildnoob
07-03-2008, 05:21 PM
I are getting better in my formation fligths.

it's not SO hard, just need some patient.

but the question still remain, fly with AI in formation is more difficult then fly with a human ?

idonno
07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Flying with an AI is easier if you're talking a straight line. The AI fly very steady.

It's takes a good deal of concentration for human sim pilots to hold a perfectly exact heading and altitude even when their airplane is in trim.

If you are following an AI through course changes, that's different. Another player can take into consideration the fact that you are flying his wing and fly as smoothly as possible. The AI, on the other hand, couldn't care less that you're trying to follow, and it shows.

idonno
07-03-2008, 06:24 PM
There are advantages to keeping a tight formation. It's not the waste of time and effort that some claim, but of course, it should only be done when the tactical situation allows.

Wildnoob
07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
in aviation history, formation fligths where always used.

I don't think it's a wast of time, sure have it's advantages.

if was a wast of time, why pilot's used it ?

and they still used it today.

you guys above think that formation fligth is more difficult in IL2 then RL ?

wat I can say is that a tracker IR and rudder pedals make formation fligth a far more easy procedure. I don't have neigther, but I felt need for then to fly more correctly.

VW-IceFire
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Formation flying takes allot of discipline if you read the various remarks pilots make about the practice. In a combat situation, however, a tight formation isn't quite as necessary as an effective one. The finger four formation is considered the most effective as it spreads each plane slightly (compared to say a tight Vic formation) and provides good mutual coverage in terms of wingman/flight leader watching each others vulnerable positions, etc.

WTE_Galway
07-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Historically ... a loose Rotte versus a tight VIC the finger 4 wins out every time. The VIC are spending too much time staying in formation.

Again in the pacific read up on the Thach Weave.

Where formation flying really DID matter was in massed bomber streams. The 8th air force particularly used tight formations for concentrated defensive power.

As for formation flying ... two hints

- use auto pilot to get into formation than revert to manual and do not touch the throttle, it seems to help you keep up
- as in real life aim to fly a few meters below the lead plane rather than on the same level as it