PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Views in PF

jschlechty
10-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi,
I've had the IL2-FB-PF set for quite awhile, but just recently got into tryingto get it set up on my computer. I'm using a Saitek X45 Joystick, and am having a really difficult time getting the views set up with it.
Is it better to use the SST software that came with the stick and make a .dat profile, or just program allof the keystrokes in PF? Also, Do you need to set each individual view on the view hat, or should it work as a view hat from the beginning?
Another problem I've had is trying to set the views. If I set my view hat to look right, and then try to set the back-right view, it says that key has already been programmed for looking right, etc. Are you not allowd to have one direction for right, one for back right, and one for front right?
As I said, setting up the views so far has been the biggest headache. I've been playing Aces High for the last year or so, and am usd to the view controls there if that helps explain my frustrations.
THanks for any help or ideas!

T_O_A_D
10-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Its a PIA for sure. When setting them up you have to se it twice some time to clear out the original keystroke. Also you have to hold hat to the position right next to the one your wanting to set, Because moving the hat from center to a 45 deg. postion can be tricky to say the least. Oh and even if you use the SST you still have to program the key strokes in the game. Its by far easier to wrestle your way through it with the Hats.

IIRC one of the hats should work with a default profile of the game. Been along time ago so I'm not quite sure.

I was glad to give all this up, when I moved on and purchased TrackIr (http://ww.naturalpoint.com) a couple years or so ago.
More about it in my sig, if your curoius.

Bearcat99
10-18-2005, 06:10 PM
I suggest you just use the mouse pan button on the throttle and set one of the hats as a center view in the 6 oclock position. I have TIR but sometimes it becomes hard for me to line up a shot because I move so much.... I turn off TIR and use the mouse pan.... even with TIR the 6 oclock position on the hat of my MSFFB is center..

T_O_A_D
10-18-2005, 08:00 PM
BC if I need to center view for any reason I use VAC and just say "center view" Works like a charm, and frees that hat up for something aircraft oriented.

Tully__
10-18-2005, 09:30 PM
There are a variety of ways to program views...

1. Default POV assignment on the X-45 POV hat will work for Snap View mode in the game with default control assignments. F9 key toggles between snap and pan views. Snap returns to centre when you release the view control, Pan stays where it's at.

2. Assign the DX hat positions to the individual views in the game controls screen. I suggest assigning the back/right, back/left, front/right & front/left views before attempting the right, back, front & left views as it's too easy to not cleanly hit the corner views and accidentally re-assign the side/front/back views if you do it in any other order.

3. Assign numpad keys to the views then use the profiling software to mimic the numpad keys on the POV hat.

4. What Bearcat99 said, though you don't have to use the mouse hat if you prefer the POV hat. With the Saitek software you can assign any of the hats to emulate mouse. I had my X45 (and still have my X52) set up for fast mouse pan on the POV unshifted and slow mouse pan on POV with the Pinkie shift. For quick centering, the hat under my forefinger has a centre view assignment when pressed down. You can download & look at my X-45 profile using the link under my sig picture.

jschlechty
10-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Thnaks for the ideas, guys. That's what I was looking for!