PDA

View Full Version : About smoke screens?

Ravenspire1
10-21-2004, 08:33 AM
I was thinking of this coz i think ive seen it somewhere so i searched the net for information and found out that many ships was capable to lay smoke screens to avoid detection or limit the visibility for a sub to target them.

I found this on regulary merchants whit boilers.

A smoke screen was created by reducing the amount of air in the fuel-air mixture being pumped into the boiler fire box. This made a lovely black smoke.

but mostley it was the warships that had the capability to lay smoke like the destroyers etc.

Live story taken from a site about DD that tested out a new system:

Departing Norfolk 5 Sept., she sailed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for gunnery practice and sea trials. On the return trip to Norfolk, in a smooth sea, an eight-hour shakedown run was made during which she traveled at over 38 knots. After several days spent conducting tests on a new product to lay down smoke screens, Bordelon sailed for Casco Bay, Maine.

Will we se this feature ingame or?

Messervy
10-21-2004, 10:05 AM
There has been a debate regarding the smoke. Participants were mostly very critical about the way the smoke is rendered in the game but from the designers point I don`t think they will bother to incorporate smoke screens into the game. They will then need to come up with wind models etc...and mind that volumetric smoke is No.1 framerate killer.

Ravenspire1
10-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Aha so it have been discussed before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Thx for your input and i do agree that smoke screens would "kill" the framerate.

And ive been reading a little more about it and it didnt have a major impact to the tactic.
It was difficult to use thos smoke screens in a effective way coz the wind had to be less than 5 knots or els the wind would flaten out the smoke screen so it more or less would stay close to the sea surface as a light fog and that would not cover the ships.

Mitarbeiter
10-21-2004, 10:31 AM
They're not using volumetric smoke in SH3, and volumetric smoke is not required for smoke screens or smoke generally. (It might look better with it, but..)

In SH3 the smoke is generated with simple particle systems. Simple particles can be affected by wind very easily.

The reason the smoke doesn't look very realistic is because the devs haven't spent the research and resources on it. (Yet.)

If I were the devs, I'd change the particle sprites to something more detailed; make the effect of wind on the smoke more obvious; and make it longer for certain types of smoke (those caused by oil fires for example) to fade out.

Messervy
10-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Well the discusion was mainly about the smoke created by burning ships and tankers.
As far as the smokescreens are concerned they were employed great deal during surface engagement in order to obscure opponents gunnery or to gain few vital moments in tactical manuvers but not in convoys since they had to keep their formation and after a succesfull attack it wouldn`t be in U-Boat`s interest to keep hanging in the middle of the convoy. And if you concider using a Hydrophone instead of a periscope to get an aproximate idea where the ships are than a smoke screen is really unnecessary.

Messervy
10-21-2004, 10:43 AM
Mitarbeiter wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They're not using volumetric smoke in SH3, and volumetric smoke is not required for smoke screens or smoke generally. (It might look better with it, but..) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean it is just a sort of transparent translucent sheet?.
I have seen how the clouds are made in CFS 3. They look incredible. But they are also formed from....eh..."translucent sheets" right?

Sorry but I don`t know the terminology.

Mitarbeiter
10-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Yup. All the smoke you see in the screenshost and videos is made out of sprites (that is: sheets), which come out of emitters. Then they are effected by their own speed values, gravity, speed, fade out values, etc.