PDA

View Full Version : Why the rush to move on?

RAF_Loke
03-03-2006, 01:47 AM
In Il2 €" Pacific Fighters we have I don€t know how many flyable and ai planes, more than in any other sim ever made. And still people want€s to move on to BoB.

Exactly what we can expect from BoB I of course have no idea about.
Better eye-candy, ground as well as planes. Maps, the English Channel and Southern England. + a lot of other stuff I€m sure about.
No doubt that I€m also looking forward to it, but with that said it will also bring us back to the beginning.

As already said, in Pacific Fighters we now have a ton of planes, we have a desert, we have Russia, we have some of the Pacific, and we have some of South-East Asia and more.
We have flattops; we have planes from Russia, USA, Britain, Japan, Germany and Italy.

Will we have all this in the initially BoB DVD? I don€t think so.

I know that I will still be flying Il-2 Pacific Fighters for a long time. And when BoB is released I will properly use both sim. Only hope that my PC will be able to handle BoB in a satisfied way with settings set to near max.

rnzoli
03-03-2006, 02:23 AM
The simple answer: money. If we all play with what we have now, we won't pay anything to UBI. And we want to pay as well.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Look at all the whiner-threads. Most of them are due to the fact, that the current flight-mechanics of the IL2-engine is insufficient to support them. Stalling characteristics, complex engine modelling incl. compressors and boosters, damage effects and moddelling, weather and atmospheric effects, torque and propwash, high-altitude flight-modells, AI tactics and plane handling, AI flak, groundhandling, randomly generated campaigns, etc, etc, etc, they're all maxed out. Only a few people realize that this sim-engine is soon to be 7 years old and it has exceeded it's limits by far.
Just look at the multi-engined aircraft. They didn't even fly with a whole lot of work-arounds.

So, you want to know why most of us can't wait for BoB? Easy: Because it brings more realism into the sim and actually realism is what a sim is about.

Eyecandy is will be there for sure, but not as a main priority. Just remember what I just wrote: The IL2-engine is basically 7 years old! What kind of PC did you have 7 years ago? And how much faster are next years computers going to be? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

RAF_Loke
03-03-2006, 03:36 AM
So, you want to know why most of us can't wait for BoB? Easy: Because it brings more realism into the sim and actually realism is what a sim is about.

This is a good point.

I agree that there are errors on several of the planes in il2. But there bount to be that too in BoB. The discussions will just start all over again when the first drool is over http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Yes, there will always be discussions about inaccuracities, mostly from people without any knowledge at all.

Somebody from Microprose stated in an interview about Falcon-series:
"If start building a 100% real flightsim, you'll find yourself in the real plane in the end."

There is no FULL REAL in any game, cause it is still a game, whatever you do. But it is a step closer to reality and I welcome that very much.

ploughman
03-03-2006, 03:52 AM
Track IR users will get another axis of movement, and 3-d cockpits.

ParaB
03-03-2006, 04:26 AM
I couldn't care less about new planes or eye candy. But I really would like to see a weather system that actually deserves its name, AI pilots that don't see through clouds and use a dozen consecutive barrel rolls as standard evasion technique, objects that are visible at far greater distances and a competely overhauled campaign engine.

The moment BoB comes out with those features I'll probably never touch IL2/AEP/PF again.

ploughman
03-03-2006, 04:39 AM
Additionally, and personally, BoB is when I'll be getting a new machine. This means I'll be able to play with more than half a dozen planes at a time in Il2-Fb as my current machine is sooo last century. It's win win for me.

Weather_Man
03-03-2006, 05:52 AM
Newness and differentness. That's what I'm wanting. I pretty much stopped playing FB a year ago. It had an extremely fun life of 5!? years (way, and I mean WAY beyond any other game I've ever bought), but it's pretty much run it's course for me. Even new stuff in the patches is not enough to lure me back in. I flew the Do for 10 minutes and that was it.

Will always love the game, don't get me wrong. I'm basically just hanging around waiting to be wowed again.

Oh, and I'm interested in graphics mainly. I don't want it to be so real to be frustrating and complicated. That's what turned me off on Lockon (even in easy mode!). I'd like to leave that experience to the real pilots.

Bearcat99
03-03-2006, 06:14 AM
Ill be flyong FB for at least 6 months to a year after BoB comes out..... just because I like it and it is still that good.... I can see the need for BoB though.. after all as good as this engine is it is what.. going on 7 years old? Time to move on.. and if BoBs engine is relatively as good as this one we all may be needing jaw pads or pillows on our desks....

F6_Ace
03-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Will BoB have F6 key?

iroseland
03-03-2006, 06:19 AM
Yes, newness will be good. Mostly I am looking forward to BoB for the new engine. Just the BoB will itself get boring pretty fast. The plane set will be sort of smallish and how many times can I blow up big ben? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Seroiusly though, I will still need winter war/continuation war fix I will still need to fly low over the desert and I will still need to do CQ's. So for a long while I predict that I will have both installed and keep it that way untill the new engine has all the theaters that this one does.

BSS_AIJO

Chivas
03-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Combat flight sims have been a journey of ever increased realism for me. Thats what I'm looking for. BOB will atleast double my immersion level so I doubt I will fly FB to much after that experience.
I've enjoyed the Il-2 series for the last five years and I'm ready to move on. By the time I get bored with BOB, I'm sure the Med theater will be ready for release.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Actually, as much as I like the current variety of planes and the pure number is simply stunning, I always prefered sims that concentrated on a very few, but incredible detailed and accurate planes.

Besides that, I really like the EasternFront scenario and especially the PacificTheater, but I still prefer the Battle of Britain and the later WesternFront-scenarios.

I hope to see more scenarios and planes coming, after BoB was released, and I'd welcome to pay for the addons, to support the sim and the team. They didn't leave us down for almost 7 years and there are few games that live that long and still have an ever growing community.

Overall, I'm really looking forward, for what they'll present us in BoB. The few screens were simple jawdroppers and if they even modell half the features that were made official earlier, it's gonna be very impressive. I guess I have to send my TrackIR1 to retirement, though, when BoB is released http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif - a moveable seat position was my wet dream since the original IL2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

VF-51-Dart
03-03-2006, 06:59 AM
I'm looking forward to the new engine in BoB. But, honestly I could care less about the Battle of Britain itself. It's been done to death already. I wish Oleg had chosen a more interesting theater to begin with. Personally, I'd have preferred the PTO. When BoB moves on to that and other theaters I will get excited.

domenlovrec
03-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Nobody can say BoB will be better than IL2. They are making this game from level 0, so lot of things can go wrong.

TX-Zen
03-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Because they took a huge step backwards with Pacific Fighters to accomodate taking off from carriers. The global engine has been porked ever since then. All planes climb far better than they should at low speed, some can motor on up at max climb rate even at 160km/h for example.

Big thing for me personally is the energy model. We've about worn out all attempts to get it addressed in FB, but I am hopeful it will be made more realistic in BoB.

Not being able to fly the Dora is going to hurt...alot. But perhaps we will have a more realistic Anton and even a proper forward view .

Cworth
03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
All I know is I will be flying this sim long after BoB comes out.I like what we have and still enjoy playing it.

Though I may pick up BoB a few months after its release.Most likely after the first round of patching gets done to fix some of the inevitable bugs that are sure to come along with any new game that is released and also depending on user feedback on how good it actually is.

Jumoschwanz
03-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I am sure that this sim will be really popular for a long time after Bob or some other sim with better graphics comes out. Right, because it will take Bob at least the five years it has taken this sim to mature, to mature!
Bob will be a nice toy, but it will be very limited in maps and plane-sets. And who knows what kind of bugs it will have? We already have it's beta FM, so what will we get besides some better graphics that most will not have the computer to run anyway?

I will by Bob for sure as it will be a masterpiece, but just as I still frequently fly the original IL2 online, I am sure I will fly the Forgotten Battles for years to come, and I will have lots of company.

Jumoschwanz

Capt.LoneRanger
03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Ehm, Jumo...

Okay, the maps will be less in number - because it will probably be a single one for the complete France/Netherlands/South-England area, incl. London! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
The Flight-Modell we have is Beta BoB - correct - at least partially! It is not the complete flight-modell, but only the parts that could be integrated into the old engine! This is not what flying will be in BoB!
There will be bugs in BoB, but may I remind you, that the BoB-sim is not made out of the blue, but based on the experience with the IL2-series.

I'm also astonished how precisely some people know what BoB will look like and how exact it will be modelled and I'm really surprised how many people have a crystal-ball and can foresee that they are going to play PF for long after BoB will be released, because it's so much more fun than BoB. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Is there a leaked Beta that I should know of? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

ploughman
03-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by F6_Ace:
Will BoB have F6 key?

The F6 key will be so mapped to initiate the detonation of the Semtex impregrenated BoB DVD in your DVD drive. Press F6 and you'll be picking hard disk out of your shins.

Be sure.

jasonbirder
03-03-2006, 12:28 PM
As much as I love FB/AEP/PF I can't wait for BOB...
A sim focusing on a few planes and one area doesn't have to be boring...how many theatres were there in Falcon 4 or Janes F/A18 etc...and they didn't get dull quickly...more detail is exactly what we want...
Hopefully with bigger maps, nastier weather and more realistic engine/fuel management etc it'll bring a whole new dimension to the game...Making navigating home/landing in bad weather/nursing your plane home/managing Fuel far more important instead of constant "fangs out - hair on fire" dogfighting...imagine nervously watching your fuel gauges and having to break off and evade worried you haven't enough fuel to make it home then poking around in the clouds worried if your going to come out above your airfield or over the English Channel...magic! Or being so busy flying your plane that you don't notice an enemy creeping up on your 6 till the tracers flash by your canopy or stooging around patiently in the clouds waiting to drop onto an unsuspecting enemies tail...
There's plenty of life in a Battle of France/battle of Britain scenario for it to stay interesting for a long long time...Blitzkrieg/Dunkirk/Luftwaffe attacks on coastal shipping/The Battle of Britain itself/RAF attacks on Coastal Barge concentrations etc etc...
Can't wait!

Jumoschwanz
03-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
Ehm, Jumo...

"Okay, the maps will be less in number - because it will probably be a single one for the complete France/Netherlands/South-England area, incl. London! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif"

Wow, imagine a sim called Battle of Britian having maps of the area that the Battle of Britian took place! Thanks for the info?

"The Flight-Modell we have is Beta BoB - correct - at least partially! It is not the complete flight-modell, but only the parts that could be integrated into the old engine! This is not what flying will be in BoB!"

Uh, a Beta anything is never assumed to be a finished product anyway, at least to those who understand English or any other Latin based language, but another big thanks ok?

"There will be bugs in BoB, but may I remind you, that the BoB-sim is not made out of the blue, but based on the experience with the IL2-series."

You mean Oleg's Bob will be created by Oleg! Whoohoo! I thought he was farming it out to Australian aborigines in grass huts, more stunning news!

"I'm also astonished how precisely some people know what BoB will look like"

ONly those who have looked at released screenshots....."

and how exact it will be modelled and I'm really surprised how many people have a crystal-ball and can foresee that they are going to play PF for long after BoB will be released, because it's so much more fun than BoB."

That they are going to play FB after BoBs release merely because "it is more fun" is an assumption and closed minded error on your part, for just one instance, maybe a Yak or Lagg or Japanese aircraft enthusiast will want to fly a Yak or Lagg or Japanese aircraft? Duh.........

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Is there a leaked Beta that I should know of? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Enthor1
03-03-2006, 02:50 PM
I am in no rush to move on, I am only up to a P4 2.4 and 5700 video card.

Every single computer upgrade I have made since IL2 and FB were released and every addon patch has resulted in a better looking, smoother running game and I am looking forward to one more upgrade on this machine to see FB in all its glory.

BoB will require a new machine for sure so no hurry is OK here.

Dash_C.
03-03-2006, 04:49 PM
IMHO, this sim peaked just after the release of Forgotten Battles. It had matured, but it was still impressive in terms of technology. Now, the IL2 engine is pretty old and creaky. There is definitely room for improvement. I say bring on BoB!

Treetop64
03-03-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm in no hurry for BoB, (4.04m still kicks hindquarters!), though I'll scoop it up quite rapidly when it does finally come out!

The one thing I'm most desparately hoping for is to do proper, checklist driven, engine start-up and shut-down procedures. Also, it would be cool to have an animation of the two guys needed to hand-crank the engine in the Bf-109 at startup.

Equally desparate is the desire to taxi from under the net, or the ramp itself, and taxi onto the runway, and then takeoff.

On this, are there any user-made campaigns that features the ability to taxi from parking at the beginning of missions? Anyone?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

james_ander
03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm in no hurry for BoB, but I will snap it up and build a new rig to match. My PC's live and die in accordance with this sim series. I have not, would not, build around anything else. IMO, it's that good. Not just compared to other flight sims, but to other PC games, period.

JG7_Rall
03-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
I'm in no hurry for BoB, (4.04m still kicks hindquarters!), though I'll scoop it up quite rapidly when it does finally come out!

The one thing I'm most desparately hoping for is to do proper, checklist driven, engine start-up and shut-down procedures. Also, it would be cool to have an animation of the two guys needed to hand-crank the engine in the Bf-109 at startup.

Equally desparate is the desire to taxi from under the net, or the ramp itself, and taxi onto the runway, and then takeoff.

On this, are there any user-made campaigns that features the ability to taxi from parking at the beginning of missions? Anyone?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Agreed! I'm really hoping for a complex and long engine start up process (where you can actually mess up and have the engine backfire or just not start), and taxiing out of a net or in the woods or something is a great idea that i'd love. Oleg did an awesome job having AC spawn on the ground (whereas other sims had you spawn in the air http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif) and now maybe he can take it to the next level with this idea. Might also help prevent people gunning the throttle right on the tarmac http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

RAF_Loke
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
You all know the feeling when you go to the Theater to see a new movie.
The commercial for this movie have run for ages on your telly. And when you finally watch it in the theater you get sooooo disappointed.

It's called expectations.

I expect a whole lot from BoB, but I also guess that some people might get disappointed.

BTW, great discussion this topic, and a lot of good points and views. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Stigler_9_JG52
03-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I'd be very enthusiastic if finally we could expect a good, EARTH PHYSICS flight model.

But, if 4.04 is any indication, the same core problems will remain...and BoB will just be a prettier load of flight sim dung...if that's possible.

We'll see if new weather makes any difference...although most servers don't use the weather we have already. I hardly ever see anything else but clear skies, CAVU. Rarely snow, rarer still rain....

elphifou
03-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Call me an old tart if you like, but when I was a teenager, I was literally <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">dreaming</span> of playing a flight sim like FB. At that time, all I had was an Amstrad CPC 464... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

So something tells me the teen in me will enjoy FB for a long time before getting bored, and although I certainly will welcome BoB when it comes out, I'm not in a rush.

content. that's the word.