PDA

View Full Version : A new damage to me.........

tora-2
01-17-2005, 04:22 PM
OK so I run the risk that I simply overlooked something and that Shift F1 or somesuch would have cured it but I've never come across this one before. ( And I get shot down a lot ! )

Flying on Fallen Angels with a Bf 109 G, not an aircraft I normally fly at all to be honest. Took some hits from 50 cal but nothing apparently major. However after flying for a while decided to RTB as clearly a fair amount of drag. Didn't notice any problems at first as I made a fast run back to the base , however upon starting my approach it became apparent that the throttle was no longer working and was basically jammed at full on. In the end couldn't find any alternative but to limp back, by switching the engine on and off.

Needless to say this didn't precisely work and the landing involved a somersault.

I know this is probably something most know, and or its something I likely overlooked but it impressed the hell out of me. Strange how you gear up your responses to the usual, well can I still fly, should I bail or should I RTB, yet the game can still suprise you.

PBNA-Boosher
01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
interesting... I've never heard of that before. Are you sure your joystick was working properly during that time? I'm sure it probably was, as you could still manipulate the controls...

Cool! I doubt it'll ever happen to me though, maybe in BoB.

Owlsphone
01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
It's happened to me maybe 3 times in 3 years. I think it's the rarest damage that you can sustain during combat, but it is very cool when it happens.

It's the little things that make this game so sweet.

WTE_Galway
01-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I regularly get jammed on full throttle in the G6 happened last night

landing is not that hard basically you need to do a low circuit coming in dirty with gear and flaps out and then cut engine just before the threshhold and deadstick it

Call_me_Kanno
01-17-2005, 05:03 PM
This has happened to me too in several different planes including the He-111 where only one engine's throttle controls were shot out. A very cool and sometimes surprising feature indeed.

zugfuhrer
01-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Was it the trottle % that didnt changed or did it feel as if your plane didnt respond to decreased throttle

carguy_
01-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I was impressed again when my Zero revi got busted and that archaic little crosshair hanging there on the side suddenly swooped in the place of the damaged revi.That was cool man

JG7_Rall
01-17-2005, 05:07 PM
This has happened to me a few times in the past few weeks. Awesome feature! It seems to happen only in the 190 and 109 for me at least, too bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

kiddknapp59
01-17-2005, 05:09 PM
It has happened to me as well. Throttle stuck wide open.
What I hate is if you get hit in the elevator controls you are always stuck in a climb attitude, never dive or neutral. Like they ran out of ideas when doing the damage model.

willyvic
01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
I've had what I believe was a prop disengage after taking hits. IE; engine rpm would wind up and down but airspeed would not be affected. Prop was still spinning but it acted like it had decoupled. Was in the P-40B.

WV

Korbelz
01-17-2005, 05:57 PM
happens quite a bit in 111, 109s for me...loads of fun in the 111 when it happens on just one side.

WTE_Galway
01-17-2005, 06:35 PM
throttle jam probably happens more often than you realise

i notice it more with flak damage but i suspect the reaon for that is if someone is on your six and doing enough damage to jam the throttle the chances are he will down you before you even notice the throttle is stuck .. you are goign to be using full throttle in combat anyway

Kootenai
01-17-2005, 06:56 PM
It's happened to me too, most recently just a couple of days ago with a 109G2. Galway makes a good point that it probably happens more often than you know because you end up being shot down before you have a chance to throttle back. I've noticed the over-revving thing with P40s too; I think it has something to do with the prop governor being damaged and was something that was known to happen historically.

WWSandMan
01-17-2005, 10:06 PM
I've had the throttle jam open on a few occasions, but more recently I've been having a rash of damage situations where the propellor pitch is stuck on 100%. This can be ruinous to aircraft like the Me-109 series, where the engine burns out quickly if it is over-revved due to a high prop-pitch plus high throttle setting (those who fly 109's in manual propellor control mode know all about this).

That "prop-pitch to full" damage last happened to me on a P-40E just a couple nights ago. So it's not something limited to German plane types.

Maybe it's more pronounced in the aircraft with V-type engines... I rarely have the problem with radial engined aircraft. It may be there, but I just haven't noticed it since I'm generally flying 70%+ prop pitch on the radial engined fighters anyway.

And I'm jealous... I have yet to see the Zero's ring and bead sight flop over to replace a damaged reflector sight. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

p1ngu666
01-17-2005, 10:30 PM
cps governer thing happens fairly often with merlin engines

sounds really bad http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

rawheid_rex
01-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Happened to me only last night in a Beaufighter. The throttle wasn't stuck on full, it was around half, and my player was heavily injured (not sure if this had anything to it). Had to cut the engines to get the thing back on the ground!

Bill_Door
01-18-2005, 01:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WWSandMan:
And I'm jealous... I have yet to see the Zero's ring and bead sight flop over to replace a damaged reflector sight. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is real great.
Happend to me after flak-damage in the cockpit. Just a few holes, revi still ok, but the ring comes up to replace the (still fine) revi. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tully__
01-18-2005, 01:46 AM
I don't know about the 109's, but I've lost the propellor governor in Hurricanes quite a few times. It goes to full fine and you have to be supercarefull not to dive or use high throttle setting to prevent engine failure from over revving.

WOLFMondo
01-18-2005, 02:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by willyvic:
I've had what I believe was a prop disengage after taking hits. IE; engine rpm would wind up and down but airspeed would not be affected. Prop was still spinning but it acted like it had decoupled. Was in the P-40B.

WV <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

P47 can get something similar from experiance.

Lucius_Esox
01-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Am wondering if this is the same that I have experienced. Quite often in a Spit or a Hurri I've had the engine begin to over-rev badly after being hit. I have always assumed that this was the actual prop itself being damaged. If you blow bits off of it there is much less left of it to "grab" air. Bit like making the wheel of a car smaller as you were driving along, that would send your revs through the roof also. Do people think this is what is happening or it's a damaged governer type thing. I reckon the prop has been made smaller!!

F0_Dark_P
01-18-2005, 04:14 AM
it to happend to me yesterday in my G2, i fly the G2 everyday day but this was the first time, really cool i think

OT: but something that is really annoying is when the radio dies, it just dont work to ask for anything, you can press tab and ask permission to land e.g. but you get no reply http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Cajun76
01-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Yep, I've had the throttle get stuck on my P-47 and A-20 (actually, one engine was dying, the other going flat out and overheating like mad.) And I've had the CPS get hit on the P-40. A quick lesson in prop pitch and rpm ensued. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Got her home, though.

JG53Frankyboy
01-18-2005, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carguy_:
I was impressed again when my Zero revi got busted and that archaic little crosshair hanging there on the side suddenly swooped in the place of the damaged revi.That was cool man <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, but the Revi is actually ok when this happens to me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
i get some hits in the "front" of the Zero and the metall sight is comming up, normal Revi still working http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
very annoying

SeaFireLIV
01-18-2005, 07:43 AM
I had the throttle stick on full once. Threw me for six. I thought my joystick throttle had gone or it was a bug. Finally I just had to switch the engine off and glide in. This was in the Spitfire.

Good stuff and just one of those really unexpected rare things to happen.

Shadow1706
01-18-2005, 02:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucius_Esox:
Am wondering if this is the same that I have experienced. Quite often in a Spit or a Hurri I've had the engine begin to over-rev badly after being hit. I have always assumed that this was the actual prop itself being damaged. If you blow bits off of it there is much less left of it to "grab" air. Bit like making the wheel of a car smaller as you were driving along, that would send your revs through the roof also. Do people think this is what is happening or it's a damaged governer type thing. I reckon the prop has been made smaller!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd go for the damaged governor theory. If the prop were damaged by chopping pieces out of it, the engine (and airplane around it) would literally shake itself apart. At least in real life.

WTE_Galway
01-18-2005, 04:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
I don't know about the 109's, but I've lost the propellor governor in Hurricanes quite a few times. It goes to full fine and you have to be supercarefull not to dive or use high throttle setting to prevent engine failure from over revving. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have often wondered about that one because by my understanding is that by default, at least in modern planes, a variable pitch prop goes to feathered if there is a governor failure not full fine.

leadbaloon
01-18-2005, 04:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadow1706:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucius_Esox:
Am wondering if this is the same that I have experienced. Quite often in a Spit or a Hurri I've had the engine begin to over-rev badly after being hit. I have always assumed that this was the actual prop itself being damaged. If you blow bits off of it there is much less left of it to "grab" air. Bit like making the wheel of a car smaller as you were driving along, that would send your revs through the roof also. Do people think this is what is happening or it's a damaged governer type thing. I reckon the prop has been made smaller!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd go for the damaged governor theory. If the prop were damaged by chopping pieces out of it, the engine (and airplane around it) would literally shake itself apart. At least in real life. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In "Fighter Pilot" Paul Richey describes his Hurricane MK1 propellor disintegrating at 20,000 feet after coming out of a steep dive. Apparently the engine ran perfectly smoothly, but only after the last bits of the prop had come off (old wooden two blader). He managed to glide in and land; so I guess you'd be okay provided that there was nothing left of the prop whatsoever, or if the damage was uniform around the tips of the prop (which would be highly unlikely). Put me down for the damaged governor theory too.

WTE_Ibis
01-19-2005, 02:16 AM
I have experienced this as well and I fly 109
mostly.
Cheers, Ibis.

Cajun76
01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
I don't know about the 109's, but I've lost the propellor governor in Hurricanes quite a few times. It goes to full fine and you have to be supercarefull not to dive or use high throttle setting to prevent engine failure from over revving. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have often wondered about that one because by my understanding is that by default, at least in modern planes, a variable pitch prop goes to feathered if there is a governor failure not full fine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The turboprop I work on (Rolls Royce Allison T-56 on the C-130) has a pitch lock mechanism to lock the blade angle at whatever it was at the time of failure. So your throttle becomes a way to control rpm manually, instead of setting the turbine temperature for power level. Most pilots and flight engineers would feather at this point, if possible though.