PDA

View Full Version : instruction manual



Outsyder1
03-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi,
I just bought the game for PC from Gamestop as an 'open box'. It has no instruction manual but a small sheet stating I can download the full manual online. But it doesn't say where. Anyone know where I can dl from? And did Gamestop just jip me out of at least a basic manual? They told me only the console versions had a manual.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-09-2010, 10:40 AM
does "open box" mean used product ?

if it does then you are stuffed,as i doubt theres anywhere to download a manual.
if there was,rip user would be able to get it.

just googled gamestop and used games,and there seems to be a lot of complaints about them.

out of curiosity,what did you pay ?

Outsyder1
03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry, I just re-read the little insert and noticed it said download the full manual from the game disc itself, not the ubi site. Still makes me wonder if there was even a short manual at all to begin with since they said "full manual on disc" No, the game is brand new, they took it out of the box to display the case on the shelves. I paid full retail, $59 (what happened to $49 and $39 pc games?) but with a giftcard. I made it my goal quite a while back to never give Gamestop my actual money ever again after so many screwups with release dates and false promises.

Thanks for the quick response.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Outsyder1:
I'm sorry, I just re-read the little insert and noticed it said download the full manual from the game disc itself, not the ubi site. Still makes me wonder if there was even a short manual at all to begin with since they said "full manual on disc" No, the game is brand new, they took it out of the box to display the case on the shelves. I paid full retail, $59 (what happened to $49 and $39 pc games?) but with a giftcard. I made it my goal quite a while back to never give Gamestop my actual money ever again after so many screwups with release dates and false promises.

Thanks for the quick response.

we see this a lot here in uk stores,if the box is openand the manual is missing i can tell you exactly what happened to it.

some store worker has stolen it to go with his dloaded version.
happens so much the stores just swap the game for an unopened box with no quibbles at all.

happened to me with bioshock 2.

but have been reading gamestops rep online,and it isnt good.
going to cost you high in ink if you print it off from dvd.
pick those pages wisely,just keys and important stuff,leave the rest for an alt-tab out to read.

Outsyder1
03-09-2010, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't be crazy enough to print out the manual. I doubt it has much useful info in it aside from the basic controls. I'm use to alt tabbing it. Oh, and the first thing I did was look for the key, which was located on a separate sheet, so I should be ok.

I don't doubt what you say about Gamestop for a minute. Gamestop is lousy, and their trade in offers are horrific scams, but since I had a free giftcard from them, I figured I'd use it. I'll go back to them in a year when I get another! For now it's New Egg and Steam for me.

ARandomKid
03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Yea, the manual is in a .pdf file in your directory in your "Start -> All Programs -> Ubisoft" section (or its equivalent). Maybe not .pdf, but it says "Game Manual" or something. Real easy to spot.


Admittedly I was hoping for a physical manual. I love those things. What ever happened to the days of Homeworld where we got a full-on book free with the game. Not a manual, but it was packed with game history. (in the case of Homeworld) We got to learn about a bunch of tribes/clans and history of the planet Kharak leading up to the game intro and somesuch...

those were awesome. ;@_@

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ARandomKid:
Yea, the manual is in a .pdf file in your directory in your "Start -> All Programs -> Ubisoft" section (or its equivalent). Maybe not .pdf, but it says "Game Manual" or something. Real easy to spot.


Admittedly I was hoping for a physical manual. I love those things. What ever happened to the days of Homeworld where we got a full-on book free with the game. Not a manual, but it was packed with game history. (in the case of Homeworld) We got to learn about a bunch of tribes/clans and history of the planet Kharak leading up to the game intro and somesuch...

those were awesome. ;@_@

no paper manual ?????

cheap cheap cheap.

puts a new light on Ubi finances and the server capacity problems.

if they are so cheap as to go pdf,then how far will they go ?

image of office staff eating rich tea biscuits and recycling the coffee filters springs to mind.

taking the black edition out of my shopping basket,no idea how cheap that will be,except the cost.

Trotterwatch
03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
After initial sales of Assassins Creed 2 were positive the staff of Ubisoft went out on a massive bender. Unfortunately they forgot that some of the money had to go towards other things, like a 2nd server to allow easier access for users to play the game. It has to be said, the hubris of the moment was further dented as they also realised that the toilet paper budget came from the same kitty. To cut a long story short, they had to use the manuals from the game.

This above may or may not be true.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Trotterwatch:
After initial sales of Assassins Creed 2 were positive the staff of Ubisoft went out on a massive bender. Unfortunately they forgot that some of the money had to go towards other things, like a 2nd server to allow easier access for users to play the game. It has to be said, the hubris of the moment was further dented as they also realised that the toilet paper budget came from the same kitty. To cut a long story short, they had to use the manuals from the game.

This above may or may not be true.

its not true,they are now printing off class action suits and russian posts.

Trotterwatch
03-09-2010, 04:26 PM
I stand corrected.

Good job I didn't mention anything about the ******s.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Trotterwatch:
I stand corrected.

Good job I didn't mention anything about the ******s.

can you feel the wave of hate coming away from Ubi and heading towards us ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

ARandomKid
03-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by AJ_Rimmer_Bsc:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ARandomKid:
Yea, the manual is in a .pdf file in your directory in your "Start -> All Programs -> Ubisoft" section (or its equivalent). Maybe not .pdf, but it says "Game Manual" or something. Real easy to spot.


Admittedly I was hoping for a physical manual. I love those things. What ever happened to the days of Homeworld where we got a full-on book free with the game. Not a manual, but it was packed with game history. (in the case of Homeworld) We got to learn about a bunch of tribes/clans and history of the planet Kharak leading up to the game intro and somesuch...

those were awesome. ;@_@

no paper manual ?????

cheap cheap cheap.

puts a new light on Ubi finances and the server capacity problems.

if they are so cheap as to go pdf,then how far will they go ?

image of office staff eating rich tea biscuits and recycling the coffee filters springs to mind.

taking the black edition out of my shopping basket,no idea how cheap that will be,except the cost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>


Eh, I don't mind the game-manual thing. Actual paper manuals haven't been printed in a while I think. Not of the scale I'm thinking, at any rate. Manuals today have instructions you learn in game anyhow, and tech support number, which you can usually find in the readme file or its equivalent.

AJ_Rimmer_Bsc
03-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by ARandomKid:
Eh, I don't mind the game-manual thing. Actual paper manuals haven't been printed in a while I think. Not of the scale I'm thinking, at any rate. Manuals today have instructions you learn in game anyhow, and tech support number, which you can usually find in the readme file or its equivalent.

its my routine,

i buy it,or it drops on the door mat,then i sit and have a good read while the games installing.

then place it on desk with keys page open.

but with no manual its a totally impersonal thing.

Engioc
03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Gone are the days of beautiful cloth maps, and full manuals that covered everything you needed to know about the game. This was all back in the days when gaming companies wanted to make money but not so badly they screwed their customers over to get it. This was also the time when games shipped with very few or no bugs, because they didn't have an easy way to distribute fixes, they had to make sure it worked before they started screwing us for money (the internet has helped us all so much by allowing these companies to become slack asses and ship games knowing there are major bugs still present). Now things only get better with DLC, a good excuse to start screwing money out of people for patches.

Assassin's Creed 2 does come with the usual manual consisting of 20 pages or so long, tells you virtually nothing, and they may as well of just left it out. If you really want to know anything these days you need to buy an OFFICIAL guide so they can screw you out of some more cash.

Xanatos2007
03-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Outsyder1:
Hi,
I just bought the game for PC from Gamestop as an 'open box'. It has no instruction manual but a small sheet stating I can download the full manual online. But it doesn't say where. Anyone know where I can dl from? And did Gamestop just jip me out of at least a basic manual? They told me only the console versions had a manual.
I'll just highlight the interesting/important bits...

There's an email from Lucy to the other Assassins (Shaun & Rebecca) in the front of the manual:

To: Undisclosed (ENCRYPTED)
Subject: The Plan
Attachments: map.png; Animus Control & Feedback (Updated).txt

This is the day we've been preparing for. Earlier this week, Vidic recovered the genetic memory of Altair Ibn la-Ahad from Subject 17, Desmond Miles. As you already know, Altair was a 12th-century Syrian Assassin; he lived through the betrayal of Al Mualim, along with the assassinations of several prominent Templar crusaders.

Vidic discovered that Al Mualim used one of the five known Apple artifacts to enslave the Assassin order, and forced his way through Desmond's memories until he recovered the map (included in the attachment). He knows the locations of the Pieces of Eden and now the Templars intend to kill Desmond. I've been trying to stall them, but I've run out of options. We must act now.

I assume you set up the planned facilities and should have recieved the final batch of Animus schematics I sent through the courier in December. It's time to try our machine on Desmond. If this works, he'll be one of the most powerful men alive by the time we're done. I've attached Desmond's profile (ignore his attitude, you'll like him once you get to know him - I promise), his Italian ancestor Ezio Auditore's bio, and the latest list of Animus controls & feedback. Desmond has already acclimatised to them, so please try to use these as the basis for your control scheme. I've also included potential modifications/upgrades from Abstergo's research that we can steal for our Animus. You should be able to have this all up and working by the time we get there, right?

If all goes well, by the time Vidic decrypts this email, Desmond and I will be on our way to you. If you don't hear from me within 12 hours, pack up everything and run. See you soon (I hope).

Lucy Stillman
And two character profiles on Desmond & Ezio:

Desmond Miles
Age: 25
Weight: 12 stone, 2lb
Height: 6'
Blood type: A+
Nationality: American
Psychological traits: Independent, introverted and defensive. Desmond has trouble trusting others. His parents were incredibly overprotective, essentially imprisoning him within their community, swearing that it was for his own good. He has spent the past 9 years avoiding large cities, hiding from civilisation. He guards his thoughts and emotions behind a wall of cynicism.

Ezio Auditore
Age: 17
Weight: 11 stone, 11lb
Height: 6'
Nationality: Florentine
Year: 1476A.D
Personal history: Although there's a lot of information about Ezio's father, Giovanni, who was a high-profile Florentine banker and a political advisor to Lorenzo de' Medici, the only info I can find on Ezio is that he was once apprenticed to Giovanni Tornabuoni, the great Florentine banker.
Psychological traits: Charismatic, competitive, a womanizer and an adventurer.
The rest of the manual just details gameplay features, controls, different menus, guard types, technical support and other things you'll discover in-game.

Outsyder1
03-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outsyder1:
Hi,
I just bought the game for PC from Gamestop as an 'open box'. It has no instruction manual but a small sheet stating I can download the full manual online. But it doesn't say where. Anyone know where I can dl from? And did Gamestop just jip me out of at least a basic manual? They told me only the console versions had a manual.
I'll just highlight the interesting/important bits...

There's an email from Lucy to the other Assassins (Shaun & Rebecca) in the front of the manual:

To: Undisclosed (ENCRYPTED)
Subject: The Plan
Attachments: map.png; Animus Control & Feedback (Updated).txt

This is the day we've been preparing for. Earlier this week, Vidic recovered the genetic memory of Altair Ibn la-Ahad from Subject 17, Desmond Miles. As you already know, Altair was a 12th-century Syrian Assassin; he lived through the betrayal of Al Mualim, along with the assassinations of several prominent Templar crusaders.

Vidic discovered that Al Mualim used one of the five known Apple artifacts to enslave the Assassin order, and forced his way through Desmond's memories until he recovered the map (included in the attachment). He knows the locations of the Pieces of Eden and now the Templars intend to kill Desmond. I've been trying to stall them, but I've run out of options. We must act now.

I assume you set up the planned facilities and should have recieved the final batch of Animus schematics I sent through the courier in December. It's time to try our machine on Desmond. If this works, he'll be one of the most powerful men alive by the time we're done. I've attached Desmond's profile (ignore his attitude, you'll like him once you get to know him - I promise), his Italian ancestor Ezio Auditore's bio, and the latest list of Animus controls & feedback. Desmond has already acclimatised to them, so please try to use these as the basis for your control scheme. I've also included potential modifications/upgrades from Abstergo's research that we can steal for our Animus. You should be able to have this all up and working by the time we get there, right?

If all goes well, by the time Vidic decrypts this email, Desmond and I will be on our way to you. If you don't hear from me within 12 hours, pack up everything and run. See you soon (I hope).

Lucy Stillman
And two character profiles on Desmond & Ezio:

Desmond Miles
Age: 25
Weight: 12 stone, 2lb
Height: 6'
Blood type: A+
Nationality: American
Psychological traits: Independent, introverted and defensive. Desmond has trouble trusting others. His parents were incredibly overprotective, essentially imprisoning him within their community, swearing that it was for his own good. He has spent the past 9 years avoiding large cities, hiding from civilisation. He guards his thoughts and emotions behind a wall of cynicism.

Ezio Auditore
Age: 17
Weight: 11 stone, 11lb
Height: 6'
Nationality: Florentine
Year: 1476A.D
Personal history: Although there's a lot of information about Ezio's father, Giovanni, who was a high-profile Florentine banker and a political advisor to Lorenzo de' Medici, the only info I can find on Ezio is that he was once apprenticed to Giovanni Tornabuoni, the great Florentine banker.
Psychological traits: Charismatic, competitive, a womanizer and an adventurer.
The rest of the manual just details gameplay features, controls, different menus, guard types, technical support and other things you'll discover in-game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, thanks for the info Xanatos. Very interesting read.

And while on the topic of manuals, I remember the days when they would write "thank you for purchasing so and so game" on the inside cover. I never see that nowadays. Shame.

Xanatos2007
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Outsyder1:
And while on the topic of manuals, I remember the days when they would write "thank you for purchasing so and so game" on the inside cover. I never see that nowadays. Shame.
I'm surprised they didn't go all H&K on us and write "DRM: Because you suck. And we hate you." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif