PDA

View Full Version : Tracks and replay

uovobw
08-31-2006, 04:22 AM
Hi everyone.
I've been recording a track of a qmb-flight against some japaneese planes.
All good.
After i _won_ the match and landed back to base i quitted the mission and saved the track.
Named it.
When i played it i saw that my plane CRASHES! after a flak hits the wing: that did NOT happen in game!
I was puzzled.
I exited the playback and played it again: this time (i admit i got some bullets from a zero http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) my plane explodes in mid-air after a burst from the pursuing zero.
That also did not happen in game!

Why this difference? is the track replay bugged? did i do something wrong?
thanks

Vacillator
08-31-2006, 05:13 AM
Is this a 'save the track after the flight' situation? If so you do sometimes get the sort of discrepancies you describe.

If you opt for recording the track before you fly I think that gives a more accurate recording (but of course you may record a bum mission where everything goes wrong http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

No doubt someone else will add more to this to help you.

Oh, nearly forgot to say welcome!

Edit: Just found this (thanks go to Tully):

There are two modes for track recordings.

1. .trk files are created whey you use the "Save Track" button after an offline mission is completed. This mode saves the player's control inputs and the mission start conditions. For correct playback it relies on the control inputs being played back with exactly the same timing as they were applied when the mission was originally played. If time acceleration/slowing or pause is used or the PC on which the mission is recorded or played back are only marginal for game performance, the chances of input timings being messed up are high.

2. .ntrk files are created when you use the "Start recording" option on the ESC menu or the keyboard "Start/stop recording" control (you'll have to assign it). These files are much larger but contain position/attitude/speed/damage states for all objects in the mission throughout the mission. Though they're much larger, these files are mostly immune to the vagueries of PC performance, time compression/acceleration or different versions. You will still occasionally see shots missing targets they hit when the mission was originally played, but because damage is also recorded the damage done shoud still appear.

uovobw
08-31-2006, 06:44 AM
the point 1 is so true!
i just played it again without compressing time (i do that in replays because watching me fly level for 15 minutes while approaching target is not smart) and the whole replay made sense!

thanks

Tully__
08-31-2006, 07:46 AM
As an additional note, .trk files are not portable between versions (the flight models usually get tweaked which means the aircraft will respond differently to the same control inputs). You can record an .ntrk while playing back at .trk so you may want to convert some of your favourites to insure against possible add-ons.

Hoatee
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
By coincidence I had a problem with a track recorded in the qmb - and that's normally a safe place to record tracks. Too bad. No idea why or how and this stage I don't care either. Later.