PDA

View Full Version : UP2 +Latest DCG Offline = Pretty damn good!

SeaFireLIV
03-19-2010, 05:11 AM
Well for reference purposes i needed to install IL2 and then I had a sudden hankering to install all my joysticks, TIR, etc (except my voice control which I can`t find yet).

I found the up-to-date UP2 and DCG by Lowengrin.

Installed what I liked the sound of with JSGME and I got to say it was pretty good.

I started a dynamic DCG campaign in Russia as the lowest ranking I16 pilot at Lvov. Hitler made a surprise attack a day early to known historyhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

We were sent on an intercept mission.

It was great to get behind the cockpit again after 4 months, but now i was introduced not only to the excellent sounds, but revamped graphics of the internal cockpit... My I16 really looked like a machine made in the Soviet Union for war! I saw the exhausts (in 1st person view) spit fire as they started up. Joined the rest of the I16s to meet the invader. There were 6 of us in two threes. Everyone was pretty new.

Clouds looked a bit weird, somewhat spotty, but ok I guess. There was quite a bit of cloud at about 2000 metres. My I16 jumped about due to the turbulence. I could hear the droning engines of my comrades in their I16s. What to expect? Punched to Supercharger 2 as we gained height.

10 minutes later and we approached the enemy frontlines, in the distance I saw fires and smoke of some kind of conflagaration (the longer view distances of smoke and fire is great immersion) and dots high above us- BOMBERS! Our leader ordered us to engage. there were a lot, maybe 20+ and they were high, it was going to take some chugging to get to them.

Enemy long distance flak started up, but when we got above the cloud it stopped - excellent part of the UP Mod again! Amazing.

Then half of the dots split up and dived towards us. FIGHTERS! These Germans in their F2s sliced through us like a hot knife through butter. I16s fell away with lost wings or on fire- again great effects added to fire and smoke. DCG enabled me to make the Germans historically more experienced at this point of the war.

Soon it was just me left. I got on a 109`s six, but almost immediately his best m8 was behind me and shooting. Shots pinged about my aircraft. I evaded him and began a dive, the engine coughed- that negative G- dammit. I turned inverted and dived, but it only delayed the inevitable. Six victorious 109s took turns attacking from every direction and evntually my wing said farewall with a loud crack. I bailed into the countryside.

UP2 and DCG made the whole experience really extremely enjoyable. I look forward to my difficult battles against the Luftwaffe until things start to change.

Great work to Lowengrin`s DCG and the Modders. Perhaps my only criticisms are the clouds look slightly strange (not as nice as default) and there appears to be less debris from shot up aircraft.

TheGrunch
03-19-2010, 05:14 AM
I need to install the latest DCG! Last tried it when there were still a few bugs with UP. You can enable Stock Clouds as an option in JSGME, Seafire, I always do as I agree that the new ones are weird.

SeaFireLIV
03-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by TheGrunch:
I need to install the latest DCG! Last tried it when there were still a few bugs with UP. You can enable Stock Clouds as an option in JSGME, Seafire, I always do as I agree that the new ones are weird.

Yes, I think I will. i always liked Oleg`s clouds from day 1.

It`s nice to see that Lowengrin has not abandoned DCG. I`m on my 4th mission so far. Shot down only one italian biplane! Most of my time is spent getting shot down or running away. We`ve even been downgraded to the I16 type 18 since we`re losing too many aircaft! Looking forward to the Spitfire vb or LA5 fn eventually!

TheGrunch
03-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
It`s nice to see that Lowengrin has not abandoned DCG. I`m on my 4th mission so far. Shot down only one italian biplane! Most of my time is spent getting shot down or running away. We`ve even been downgraded to the I16 type 18 since we`re losing too many aircaft! Looking forward to the Spitfire vb or LA5 fn eventually!
Hahaha! The sheer amount of options DCG provides are excellent, the only downside is the occasional realistic degree of boredom that it's possible to experience on a mission where you're patrolling and there's no contact with the enemy. Realistic altitudes, realistic amounts of aircraft, best campaign generator there is IMO.

SeaFireLIV
03-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by TheGrunch:

Hahaha! The sheer amount of options DCG provides are excellent, the only downside is the occasional realistic degree of boredom that it's possible to experience on a mission where you're patrolling and there's no contact with the enemy. Realistic altitudes, realistic amounts of aircraft, best campaign generator there is IMO.

True. however, there are settings which increase your % chance of meeting the enemy. i don`t use it though, so I`m not sure how effective it is.

If I seem to be on an uneventful mission, I just tap auto and hit the accelerate time button (where it goes black) and go get on with more artwork or have a tea or something. the good thing about doing lots of flights is even if you don`t see much, you`ll still get promoted over the long period for your flying hours.

TheGrunch
03-19-2010, 06:19 AM
I've actually never used the time skip button once in all my time playing Il-2 right from the original. Didn't know it was there. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

skarden
03-19-2010, 06:22 AM
I've tried quiet a few excellent static campaigns in IL-2 but I've yet to really get into the dynamic campaign side of IL-2,I tried once but couldn't really get it to work properly,but after reading this I think I might take the plunge at attempt to get it going again,sounds like a good way to keep it fresh and unexpected.A nice German defense campaign sounds like a bit of a good time,apart from that do you recommend any campaigns in particular ?

also if your up for it search AAA for "flushy's coud mod v.2"it's by far the best cloud mod out there,I don't like the clouds that come with U.P. 2 or HSFX either,they're too ah....."spotty",and make sure you have H&P Effects Uranium Edition turned on,it's one of the best mods out there.

Feathered_IV
03-19-2010, 06:54 AM
revamped graphics of the internal cockpit... My I16 really looked like a machine made in the Soviet Union for war!

Try the I-153 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FlatSpinMan
03-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Good write up. This does sound interesting.

Ba5tard5word
03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
I told you a while ago that UP really adds a lot to offline play Seafire...

I haven't checked out DCG (Dynamic Campaign Generator?) but maybe I will.

SeaFireLIV
03-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
I told you a while ago that UP really adds a lot to offline play Seafire...

I haven't checked out DCG (Dynamic Campaign Generator?) but maybe I will.

You probably did, i can`t remember, but it was likely when i`d decided to do without IL2 for a while...

I am quite impressed by the little utilities that allow you to use more ram. I am especially impressed by the more realistic AA that can`t see through clouds and is more realistic at night.

DCG affords a much more realistic Offline Single player experience which you can set up with all kinds of priorities, for instance, I set the Russian side up as noobs and reduced their resupply rate while increasing the Germans. This means my side (the Russians) will be facing a superior, confident and trained enemy while we will mostly have inexperienced men. Already, the Germans are near Lvov (the objective). When they take Lvov the campaign map will change to the next russian place and we fight on. At around 1942, I`ll change the supply rate parameters if we survive that long as the German might actually win!

@Skarden: I was stuck between the standard Higher effects and H&P Effects Uranium Edition. I actually tried both, but the game started struggling. I stuck to the Uranium edition because it adds nice fire effects to places bombed, so ships, convoys and cities look like they`re on fire- quite effective. View distance seems about the same.

p.s. This sim is quite incredible when you consider how old and complex it is. Oleg made a sim of quality to last the test of time imho.

BluesmanSF
03-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Great post SeaFire, definitely got me trying to set the DCG up and running. Although, and I'd hate to admit I'm too dumb for setting the Lowengrin's DCG, I've tried two times to set it up and for some reason I've yet to manage to get it running the way I'd like.. For instance, I couldn't get the generator to automatically combine maps as a continueing campaign (as the default campaign generator does).

So are you saying the DCG is able to set the next map according to your success in the campaign? If it can, that'd be just grrreat =D
And that downgrading you mentioned, heh tough luck but I'd bet very immersive =D

And thanks Scarden for the cloud tip, I prefer a bit "cushier" clouds too..

6S_Blues

Rjel
03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Somewhere on one of the mod sites, it is explained that the clouds are really just two dimensional and the game shifts them around so that the player is always "facing" the cloud so that it looks fuller. At least that is what I think I remember reading.

That was a good write up SeaFireLIV. In fairness, we must now wait for someone from the side who doesn't care for the mods to reply. That way you will know that you really didn't enjoy flying, it wasn't easy to use, it is a crime against "the community", ect. ect. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thefruitbat
03-19-2010, 02:19 PM
cue J.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

SeaFireLIV
03-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by BluesmanSF:
Great post SeaFire, definitely got me trying to set the DCG up and running. Although, and I'd hate to admit I'm too dumb for setting the Lowengrin's DCG, I've tried two times to set it up and for some reason I've yet to manage to get it running the way I'd like.. For instance, I couldn't get the generator to automatically combine maps as a continueing campaign (as the default campaign generator does).

So are you saying the DCG is able to set the next map according to your success in the campaign? If it can, that'd be just grrreat =D
And that downgrading you mentioned, heh tough luck but I'd bet very immersive =D

And thanks Scarden for the cloud tip, I prefer a bit "cushier" clouds too..

6S_Blues

Well there`s a choice in options of DCg called:

`Single Map Campaign: if checked, the campaign will end when one side captures the other's last airfield or supply point. If unchecked, the campaign will switch to the next map in sequence. For example, if Germany wins in Crimea, the campaign will move to Kuban.`

So uncheck it and the maps will continue backwards forwards during the whole campaign. now i`m not sure what maps it uses, but i`ve skipped from Lvov to say the Crimea and even onto kursk. There`s a last map and if the enemy take that it`s all over. I have no idea how to set order of maps though. I even once had a war where we beat back the Germans from Lvov straight away and ended up attacking Berlin in September 1941! That was a quite a surprise, but nice to see it could happen. after that I changed the parameters to make such a thing much harder to occur (gave the Russians less skill and resources).

It really is worth looking in the options menus as there are some great choices to help personalise your war.

Always let DCG run for at least one mission before making changes.

As for Mods, well I was quite against it in the early days because it was more like breaking and entering than modding. In the early days it was chaotic and I stayed clear. But now it`s been a couple of years and settled down. Oleg has finally given tacit approval and a Mod system has been worked out, I`m happy to use them. I still have issues with people altering FMs though and wish they`d leave that alone.I don`t see why I should take somebody else`s POV on an FM over Oleg`s just because they can mod. Thankfully, adjusted FMs have an asterix to show which they are.

It is the aesthetic changes, sounds, graphics and AI alterations like AA that I really love.

megalopsuche
03-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Careful, some of the "new" aircraft in UP2 don't have the same damage model as their stock counterparts.

thefruitbat
03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by megalopsuche:
Careful, some of the "new" aircraft in UP2 don't have the same damage model as their stock counterparts.

not true anymore, in the latest 2 versions of UP2.0 (m/n)