PDA

View Full Version : memory upgrades

hi_stik
10-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't know much about computers, but I have 2x512MB memory thingies, and 2xfree slots. Can I buy 2x1GB memory thingies to upgrade to 3GB memory RAM?

I abhor odd numbers, but I'd like to get 2 more GB's so I can get shot down all the more faster online.

This should work, right?

hi_stik
10-24-2006, 02:24 PM
I don't know much about computers, but I have 2x512MB memory thingies, and 2xfree slots. Can I buy 2x1GB memory thingies to upgrade to 3GB memory RAM?

I abhor odd numbers, but I'd like to get 2 more GB's so I can get shot down all the more faster online.

This should work, right?

Beirut
10-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Funny you should mention this...

I just replaced 2x512 with 2x1024 two days ago. All DDR400. Not cheap, but I feel like there's one less part of my rig that needs atention now. I have three RAM slots on my Asus board which would have let me have 2x1024 + 1x512, but from what I've head, RAM likes to be even. My guess is mixing and matching don't fly too well. So I offed the 2x512 to help pay for the new RAM.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"Official Lancaster whiner"

stansdds
10-27-2006, 04:44 AM
Mixing different brands of RAM can bring about problems and even using the same brand can cause issues due to the manufacturer switching to different chip suppliers over time.

With DDR you usually have to use only one pair of DIMMS, using three or four will revert the system to using 2T timings instead of the faster 1T. Check with you motherboard manufacturer when it comes to the 1T vs. 2T setting, a few motherboards are designed to allow 1T with four DIMMS.

Always use high quality RAM, especially if you plan to do any overclocking. I used Corsair Value Select in my system because I did not think that I would be overclocking. Now that I have a CPU that seems to like to be overclocked, the low cost RAM has become a bottleneck.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

When you know as much as I do, you become a danger only to yourself. -Stans, 2006