PDA

View Full Version : print screen cheat

josephs1959
03-06-2005, 12:16 PM
There are a number of players that use this as a cheat far too many times in too many server sites. So it cannot be avoided by changing sites. Pilots are using the Print screen option that takes a "snap shot" to delay or lag the game ( the game will literally stop or freeze) in order to survive a burst of enemy fire. This lags the game from one to five seconds if not longer for ALL the players, possibly resulting in an accident somewhere else on the map. Result; one players selfish attitude ruins the whole game for all. Can a delete or "turning off' of this option be included in the next patch for SERVERS to use. As is the other options outside veiws,invunerability,padlock ect. If a pilot wants something to remember his mission by he can record it which doesn't lag the game and have a full view of the mission for learning purposes.

VW-IceFire
03-06-2005, 12:54 PM
The trick is implementing a system so that you can still take screen shots. There are times when taking a screen shot online is a useful thing to do.

Such as recording a squad score. Such as a neat scene that you wanted to take a shot of. I have hundreds of multiplayer shots. But I don't have time to start snapping photos during combat and I certainly don't do it to cheat my way out of something.

Lets also not blame pauses on the servers part because of print screening. Not all pauses mean that a player is pressing the print screen button.

There's got to be a good middle ground on this situation.

tigertalon
03-06-2005, 01:57 PM
It would be nice if server had an option to kick player using it, something like "screenshots on/off". In this case it's up to server to decide to turn this option on, and to the player, which server to join. And, yes, it would be nice that host would write this rule down in the "rules" section.

LLv34_Stafroty
03-06-2005, 02:49 PM
would like tos see text in chat box: "Player XXX took screenshot" or such also.

Longjocks
03-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Does this only happen with the in-game part of the function (when it saves to TGA)? The thing is that the print-screen capture is a Windows function.

WWSensei
03-10-2005, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LLv34_Stafroty:
would like tos see text in chat box: "Player XXX took screenshot" or such also. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would be a useless feature to add to the game. Someone could simply use an external program like FRAPS to completely bypass anything in game.

WWMaxGunz
03-11-2005, 07:34 PM
If the in-game screenshot can get past security and halt everyone for "1 to 5 seconds"
when abused (fast repeated use) then it should be an option the host can turn off or they
should have a timer to limit use if possible (set a flag on use and no action until another
routine triggered every so often resets the flag... yes there are many such already going
on).
There IS supposed to be timeout security and it should affect use of external programs
shouldn't it? Well, the server needs to set cheat limits too and some run very loose.

CAPT_COTTON
03-13-2005, 03:30 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gifcotton8842@msn.com

I use screen shot when i first go in a game to record my pings and all who are in room and host name.Then i turn on my Gun Cameras [quicks-movies-or record ] After i make a landing i will sometimes take a pix of score and just before leaving room i take a pix.
Thats about all i use it for CAUSE in the movies this info is not there and i have a bad memery.

WWSensei
03-14-2005, 05:57 AM
"If the in-game screenshot can get past security and halt everyone for "1 to 5 seconds"
when abused (fast repeated use)"

It can't be used in rapid succession. The game is already coded to not allow screenshots online except one every ten seconds. Been that way since before AEP. I think most of the claims of "screenshot cheat" have little or nothing to do with screenshot taking.

In any case having the server operator with an option to turn it off accomplishes nothing since the very effect can be accomplished with Hypersnap, or FRAPS and any other of a dozen available screenshot utilities.

No use wasting time installing dead bolts and a burgler alarm on the front door when the walls are missing.

TAGERT.
03-14-2005, 08:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by josephs1959:
There are a number of players that use this as a cheat far too many times in too many server sites. So it cannot be avoided by changing sites. Pilots are using the Print screen option that takes a "snap shot" to delay or lag the game ( the game will literally stop or freeze) in order to survive a burst of enemy fire. This lags the game from one to five seconds if not longer for ALL the players, possibly resulting in an accident somewhere else on the map. Result; one players selfish attitude ruins the whole game for all. Can a delete or "turning off' of this option be included in the next patch for SERVERS to use. As is the other options outside veiws,invunerability,padlock ect. If a pilot wants something to remember his mission by he can record it which doesn't lag the game and have a full view of the mission for learning purposes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>urban myth

SlickStick
03-14-2005, 04:29 PM
It used to be much more prevalent, but as Sensei stated, the in-game Print Screen only works once every ten seconds.

As he also stated, there are several third-party programs for screenshots that let's you fire them off in rapid succession. A good setting of MAX LAG by the Host of the server will take care of most of the "Print ScreenShootists".

Print Screen is the least of your worries when it comes to cheating, josephs1959. Be sure. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

JG54_Arnie
03-15-2005, 06:32 AM
Plus they defenitely dont lag up the entire server, just the player trying to use it.

BM357_Faust
03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Yes it seems that pilots are using print screen (or something) to pause the game. I have certainly been behind guys when the frame rates take a dive just as I'm about to shoot.

Tagert says "urban myth." Frankly, I'm inclined to believe that this is an urban myth. In order to write an image using OpenGL you have to dump the frame buffer. I know that this is computationally expensive (takes extra time). But it seems to me that this should only affect the computer (graphics card) doing the rendering. There shouldn't be any extra network activity.

Can someone who actually knows what's happening please explain?

~Faust

WWMaxGunz
03-15-2005, 03:10 PM
If the host doesn't set MAX LAG strict enough or at all, that's what you get.
Ever been kicked from a server because your connect wasn't good enough?

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-15-2005, 08:08 PM
A good server prevents this exploit. Also its not a big deal. It only delays you being killed a few seconds.

WOLFMondo
03-16-2005, 04:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
There's got to be a good middle ground on this situation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This doesn't seem to be an issue in other games so why in this one?

In most other games when you take that screen shot online your character/plane/player/sprite/whatever continues doing what it was doing, its only your system that freezes up for a second or 2 while you write the image to memory. It affects no one else.

WWMaxGunz
03-16-2005, 04:39 AM
I've gotten right on the six of online AI and had lag/control freeze before without any
screen printing. It was just my PC, the connect and the collision code of the time long
ago. I tried to maneuver what I was able just before and my plane sailed right into the
rear fuselage of the AI target. I wonder how many people are seeing collision check
taking time and thinking it is screen print by the other?